NEWS

Canadian Politics...

• 15 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« on: <03-31-11/1055:32> »
OK, this isn't going to interest most of the folks here, I know that.  This is for my fellow Canucks.

Election time is upon us again (And this is the point where most folks go, "Canada has elections?  I thought they had a King?"), and I want to talk about one of the issues that I'm pretty sure everyone Internet Savvy enough to post here already knows about:  Internet Metering.

Well, we know about it, but as has been proven to us time and again, most politicians think the Internet is a "Series of Tubes" or some such, and the magic Internet Faerie brings it to them.  Well, as they use the Big Corporate Accounts, it might as well.  For the Residential and Small Business user, not so much.  Especially small business and rural Canadians.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's simple:  The Big TeleCom companies tried to do a backdoor deal with the CRTC to charge for bandwidth used.  "Big Deal", right?  Ever know anyone that's gone over their "Cap" for their "Unlimited Internet" back in the day?  Yeah, you can see how high those bills get.  That bit of false advertising was eventually squashed, but we can't do "Eventually" on this one.  This is an attempt to prevent various companies from operating, as well as squeeze yet even more dollars out of the average consumer for something that costs them, literally, pennies.

Well, as I said, it's election time, one of the major times we have to get the ears of the politicians and let them know what we think.  So get all the issues you want to know about together, and phone all the offices of those running for your local Minister of Parliament, let them know what you're worried about, what you're thinking, and how they're going to respond.  And certainly let them know you want to see the results of their actions in office, as it will determine your voting in the future.  Even if you don't vote (Where's that Frag Grenade?), a simple phone call isn't that hard.

The Corporations aren't extraterritorial (Yet), and have to obey the laws of the land.  Let's make sure the lawmakers know who the kingmakers are in Canada.  Us.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled chaos.

Yeah, I know.  A serious post out of me.  Weird.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-31-11/1239:41> »
Pfft. Everybody knows that Queen Elizabeth is at the top of the political tree for Canada. ;)

But being serious for a minute, real-world politics is generally frowned upon here (check the ToS, rule 3). While I would be remiss in saying if I agree with you (+1) or disagree with you, just wanted to give you a friendly nudge on this one. Last thing I'd hate to see is you getting some time in the penalty box.

You guys do know what the penalty box is, right? I mean, I'm not too sure if you guys even have hockey north of the 41st. ;)
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-31-11/1338:04> »
You guys do know what the penalty box is, right? I mean, I'm not too sure if you guys even have hockey north of the 41st. ;)

That's just a cheap shot man  :P

I mean it's true, and funny....

"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <03-31-11/1432:25> »
Pfft. Everybody knows that Queen Elizabeth is at the top of the political tree for Canada. ;)

But being serious for a minute, real-world politics is generally frowned upon here (check the ToS, rule 3). While I would be remiss in saying if I agree with you (+1) or disagree with you, just wanted to give you a friendly nudge on this one. Last thing I'd hate to see is you getting some time in the penalty box.

Actually, she is at the top of the political tree.  We have Dominion status, but still recognize the Crown as the ultimate political ruler of Canada.  We're also a Christian Country through the Church of England, but do have freedom of religion.

As for politics, that's why I posted it in the Off-Off-Topic forum.  It's about as off-topic as you can get.  Sorry if it even hits here.  :(

And, yes, we have heard of hockey.  We hate what's been done to it since the US started getting involved.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-31-11/1454:57> »
And, yes, we have heard of hockey.  We hate what's been done to it since the US started getting involved.  :P

Yeah it's horrible having huge crowds show up and athletes making boatloads of money ;)

Maurice Richard got paid in poutine didn't he?  ;)
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #5 on: <03-31-11/1511:35> »
My suggestion is you check out the work that Micheal Geist is doing with regards to net neutrality in Canada.  It is address you issues better then I ever could.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

I would like to give my 2c on the Canadian political stage but I think that is better for a Canadian Political Forum (if you know a good one please tell me, I would like to know).
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-31-11/1534:53> »
Actually, she is at the top of the political tree.  We have Dominion status, but still recognize the Crown as the ultimate political ruler of Canada.  We're also a Christian Country through the Church of England, but do have freedom of religion.

Of these things, I know. Our two countries have an interesting history together, as well as an interesting dynamic. It makes for good reading material, if one is interested in reading up on.

As for politics, that's why I posted it in the Off-Off-Topic forum.  It's about as off-topic as you can get.  Sorry if it even hits here.

Politics and religion are two of the fastest ways to get reasonable people to turn on each other. The only time I've seen it happen faster is when the Cubs/White Sox arguements get going in Chicago.

And, yes, we have heard of hockey.  We hate what's been done to it since the US started getting involved.

I do feel for the teams in Canada. Back when the two currencies weren't as close as they are now you guys had to deal with taking in income based on the Canadian dollar but pay the players based on the US. Rough to deal with, from a business perspective. Just don't get started on the whole "Southern US" teams crap. Frankly the only reason the Lightning even exist is all the snow birds from Calgary wanting to see NHL hockey live.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <03-31-11/1551:47> »
As for politics, that's why I posted it in the Off-Off-Topic forum.  It's about as off-topic as you can get.  Sorry if it even hits here.

Politics and religion are two of the fastest ways to get reasonable people to turn on each other. The only time I've seen it happen faster is when the Cubs/White Sox arguments get going in Chicago.
Wouldn't that fall under "Religion"?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-31-11/2016:51> »
Yes.
Power corrupts.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <03-31-11/2026:05> »
Well, sorry if I offended folks.  I posted this while waking up and it probably wasn't the brightest thing to do.  Sorry.   :(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-31-11/2202:52> »
I'd call it more an internet industry issue than a political one. Sorry to see y'all are having problems like that as well. Stoopid corps.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <03-31-11/2209:56> »
Yeah, well, it's both in a way.  The fact that I posted this as a "Call To Arms" of sorts...  I probably stepped over a few bounds.

See what happens when I'm serious about something?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #12 on: <03-31-11/2227:40> »
Last thing I'd hate to see is you getting some time in the penalty box.

Half or more of the 'American' players hail from the Great White North anyway.

I think that this topic is fair since it's about Internet usage on a Forum site; the irony of penalizing such would be delicious.
Oh, and lest not forget Net Neutrality here in the US and abroad.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

tbrminsanity

• Newb
  • Have fun, play games!
« Reply #13 on: <04-01-11/0956:23> »
This is something I don't understand about American culture.  In Canada I can have an open and frank discussion about religion or politics at any time, and as long as I stay respectful of other's opinions, it isn't a big issue.  In fact I can even have a discussion about how I think my Prime Minister is an idiot and someone should vote his sorry butt out of a job, and that isn't a no no topic.  In the states the second you talk about religion or politics, people instantly get their back up and you have to stop the conversation before some is offended.
Some people call me crazy...  Maybe they are right.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <04-01-11/1052:10> »
This is something I don't understand about American culture.  In Canada I can have an open and frank discussion about religion or politics at any time, and as long as I stay respectful of other's opinions, it isn't a big issue.  In fact I can even have a discussion about how I think my Prime Minister is an idiot and someone should vote his sorry butt out of a job, and that isn't a no no topic.  In the states the second you talk about religion or politics, people instantly get their back up and you have to stop the conversation before some is offended.

There was a golden age when you could do that, where men like William F. Buckley Jr. (May he RIP) would debate their idealogical opposities on television and remain respectful and agree to disagree. Sadly we have morphed into a 'us vs. them' mentality where disagreement means you are the enemy and must be crushed. And sadly it's limited to politics alone. Me, I enjoy a good vigorous debate about politics and religion, and value my friends whose views differ from mine.

Except Chair Force pukes, there's no dealing with them.