NEWS

6e Basic Set Sword

• 52 Replies

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <06-23-19/1415:51> »
Logic kind of fell into the same spot. Unless you were a decker or hermetic you could safely dump it.  Let the hermetic or decker pick up first aid. But if you were building around it, it was useful. Now I can’t fathom building around it as it’s virtually useless even when you do. Absolutely boggling this got through. And yes you could always work around strength in melee before with electric weapons. But your mage could have been a shaman as well.

If you are referring to Logic, it's still a must for Hermatic Mages and Deckers. Drain is more brutal in Shadowrun and Hermatic mages use it to resist Drain. The mage player in my game was willing to go unconscious from drain to one shot the Sam.

Deckers use Logic for most of their Pools.

Strength is only useful for hand to hand combat. If that's not your build, drop it.

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <06-23-19/1420:01> »
I assume strength increases your melee attack rating, so it should help you generate edge.
The box seems to suggest AR of weapons is fixed though we did hear unarmed uses Strength iirc? I'll check the box pdf files after I finish relaxing in front of the tv.

Edit: Thanks non-grognard! Now I can remain seated!

Does the box have lifting rules?

I did not see any lifting rules.

Str would only be used if you are doing an unarmed build.

Logic is required for Hermatic Mages and Deckers.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-23-19/1420:34> »
Logic kind of fell into the same spot. Unless you were a decker or hermetic you could safely dump it.  Let the hermetic or decker pick up first aid. But if you were building around it, it was useful. Now I can’t fathom building around it as it’s virtually useless even when you do. Absolutely boggling this got through. And yes you could always work around strength in melee before with electric weapons. But your mage could have been a shaman as well.

If you are referring to Logic, it's still a must for Hermatic Mages and Deckers. Drain is more brutal in Shadowrun and Hermatic mages use it to resist Drain. The mage player in my game was willing to go unconscious from drain to one shot the Sam.

Deckers use Logic for most of their Pools.

Strength is only useful for hand to hand combat. If that's not your build, drop it.

For strength unless you are unarmed combat focussed id still drop it. 1 edge isn’t worth the resources. 

And yeah I want clear. I switched to talking about strength 1/2 way in at the now I can’t fathom building around it part.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <06-23-19/1424:48> »
I assume strength increases your melee attack rating, so it should help you generate edge.
The box seems to suggest AR of weapons is fixed though we did hear unarmed uses Strength iirc? I'll check the box pdf files after I finish relaxing in front of the tv.

Edit: Thanks non-grognard! Now I can remain seated!

Does the box have lifting rules?

I did not see any lifting rules.

Str would only be used if you are doing an unarmed build.

Logic is required for Hermatic Mages and Deckers.

I’m curious about how bad the lifting rules are this edition. 5e rules place me as peak human in strength and body, note I’m no where near it.

I’m hoping for a more geometric progression. Linear it’s hard to show exactly how much stronger peak human is than average on a scale of 1-6 and how ridiculously strong a 10 strength/body 600 pound troll would be.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-23-19/1425:23> »
I'm not sure if it's reflected in the QSR, but there IS very good reason to not dump STR in 6e if you're using melee weapons.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <06-23-19/1432:04> »
I'm not sure if it's reflected in the QSR, but there IS very good reason to not dump STR in 6e if you're using melee weapons.
Iirc the word is used 4x in the rules. So not anything you may have spotted under NDA. Alas we must wait and see. :'(
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <06-23-19/1437:49> »

There is no good reason to boost Str stated in the box set except for unarmed. I am going off a simplified rules set and understand that, basic set is in the title.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #22 on: <06-23-19/1445:02> »
The problem here is that the errata team got to see the full rules but not the box, while demo team received the box but not the full rules, and we are both under NDA. Neither of us know what the others know. =P Fortunately with the box now out I can look things up in the pdf files I have (to prepare events) and share. But SSDR is still limited.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #23 on: <06-26-19/1055:47> »

I actually don't have it, I'm doing things the extremely-painful-way and waiting for the CRB lol. I just recall hearing about strength boosting melee attack rating on a stream, I could be wrong as it was a while ago now.

Based upon everything said to date, all I have heard is str only use seems to be unarmed damage. Looking at the Rigger Dossier it has unarmed (rating?) at 6 though the related pool seems to be 3, So i maybe it adds to Unarmed rating? But math wise adding strength only goes to 5, so that's not consistent. So perhaps its Pool x str or time just x2?

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <06-26-19/1104:56> »
Looking at the Rigger Dossier it has unarmed (rating?) at 6 though the related pool seems to be 3,

This is purely speculative on my part.  If you don't have a full pound box of kosher salt to take this with, you may be better off just skipping it.

Since that rating is in the Attribute block section, and next to the Defense rating, I'm guessing that is an Unarmed Defense value rather than anything that has to do with attacking Unarmed.  Kind of like an unarmed parry rating.

If it had to do with attacking, I would think it would be in the block on the second page that has the FN HAR Assault Rifle.

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <06-26-19/1244:01> »
Looking at the Rigger Dossier it has unarmed (rating?) at 6 though the related pool seems to be 3,

This is purely speculative on my part.  If you don't have a full pound box of kosher salt to take this with, you may be better off just skipping it.

Since that rating is in the Attribute block section, and next to the Defense rating, I'm guessing that is an Unarmed Defense value rather than anything that has to do with attacking Unarmed.  Kind of like an unarmed parry rating.

If it had to do with attacking, I would think it would be in the block on the second page that has the FN HAR Assault Rifle.

Page two does say "Primary Weapon" I am doubtful that her primary weapon is unarmed.

The characters in the boxed set do not have a number in the unarmed slot.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-26-19/1245:54> »
I don't know for sure but I'd hazard a guess that's supposed to be Unarmed Attack Rating.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <06-26-19/1402:18> »
The card for the sword Has a DV of 3P and an AV of 9. The Predator that Rude gets a DV of 4P and AV of 9 at close. Why would Rude ever use the sword beside RP?

why would you have used a sword over the predator in earlier editions?
only book I have currently available to check is 5E ... assuming a strength of 5 or less the sword is less accurate and does the same damage or less
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <06-26-19/1407:02> »
Statwise it's worse yes. But I would use a sword because it's silent, because I can cut things with it, because it prevents a ganger with a club from getting too up close and personal. So I'd say it has its uses.

Plus that sword really drives home you're not just another thug with a gun. You're a CRAZY thug. And that makes all the difference.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <06-26-19/1411:53> »
Statwise it's worse yes. But I would use a sword because it's silent, because I can cut things with it, because it prevents a ganger with a club from getting too up close and personal. So I'd say it has its uses.

Plus that sword really drives home you're not just another thug with a gun. You're a CRAZY thug. And that makes all the difference.

exactly my point, the Predator has almost always been the better weapon when just looking at the stats
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team