NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <01-03-12/0958:16> »
Budget, book, budget, book, budget, book...

Ramen's cheap.
Thankfully the wife is a gamer.  I could justify the "expense" as a source of more ideas for our Shadowrun game.
No one in my life.  Just my own head dealing with the budget...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <01-03-12/1034:59> »
Just bought it for Kane. We Southerners have to stick together. Not a fan of Slamm-O! though, but to each their own.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <01-03-12/1154:33> »
All I needed to see was that it had Harlequin.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <01-03-12/1201:54> »
Kane, Harley, Slamm-0!...  And a bunch of other people!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <01-03-12/1221:40> »

He knew that the corporations maintained data on individual
shadowrunners and had done so for decades. He had implemented
security features so that the site did not repeat enough for people to
gather network analysis, no matter how many people were logged on.
Even when it would, the amount of information collected on data
traffic should have made analysis considerably difficult. Part of the
reason he recruited Puck was to ensure that there weren’t other means
that he couldn’t predict that technomancers might be able to find.
The node was burning, collapsing, and on the verge of taking him
with it. He had what he came for: the dossiers that had been assembled
on JackPoint and its members, including analysis and concepts of
operations to infiltrate and co-opt the group and specific members. He
bashed the shredded files repeatedly with JackHammer, using it to feed
a viral code that would erase and overwrite the data repeatedly before
destroying it for good.

And this has what to do with the topic?
That is was FJ does with people who keep dossiers on his users. Right after posting a file where his users grass each other, and before posting the second one...

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #20 on: <01-03-12/1257:21> »
Well, there's a difference between a corp having copies, and telling stories internally.  *shrug*

It's a fiction thing for a game.  There's no other good way for us to tell good stories about the characters, especially not "in character" like this.  You end up with dry "Research" background like 10 Jackpointers, at best.

Fatal Error

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <01-03-12/1843:45> »
Here's a question for idle curiosity. Who is everyone's favorite writeup in this supplement? I've been hearing a lot of enjoyment surrounding Kane's article/writeup. Anyone else that folks are particularly enjoying?

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #22 on: <01-03-12/1911:59> »
For sheer entertainment level, Kane's write up was the best.  A big block of text written by /dev/grrl/.  How can you go wrong.  Slammo's was likewise entertaining.  Finally seeing stats for Harlequin was cool as well. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <01-03-12/1915:13> »
Finally seeing stats for Harlequin was cool as well.
Realize that those are estimated and probably lowballed as well.  He's been alive how long, and only lost an EAR.  That's it.

Remember your history.  Yeah, that much violence in his lifetime, and he lost an EAR.  To someone near his own age!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-03-12/1923:16> »
That is was FJ does with people who keep dossiers on his users. Right after posting a file where his users grass each other, and before posting the second one...
Again, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Which is the in-game reason why you won't see a profile on him on JackPoint.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <01-03-12/1942:42> »
As if anyone could FIND his history!  Two Matrix Crashes and a dedication to wiping out any records that are created on his own?  He probably doesn't even remember his own name any longer.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <01-04-12/0622:05> »
Well, there's a difference between a corp having copies, and telling stories internally.  *shrug*
Of course there is: Making information "liberated" from a corporate system public is generally considered to be in line with hacker ethics. It serves to warn people about what information on them has been compromised and should be burnt if necessary.
Gathering such data yourself and putting it online, on the other hand, is like a born-again preacher running an abortion clinic. Not that it does not happen, just that in both cases the person would hardly be considered an inspiring example and trusted with a leadership role.

There's no other good way for us to tell good stories about the characters, especially not "in character" like this.
And just like the problems with the stats, people predicted that since the day it was announced. I'm also pretty sure that you (plural "you") were aware of that, since I do not believe the average IQ on DS to be higher than in CGL's freelancer pool...

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <01-04-12/0838:10> »
Loving the book - especially the /dev/ and Kane stuff - now that would some interesting fiction to see.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Kat9

« Reply #28 on: <01-04-12/0854:16> »
Loving the book - especially the /dev/ and Kane stuff - now that would some interesting fiction to see.

That was actually my favourite part. /dev/ is one of the Jackpointers I actually like. I about died laughing when I saw the Slamm-O! picture he looks exactly like I Imagined him to. You'd see him walking along in a convention, hotdog in one hand swag bag tucked under an arm and trying to manage a slushy in the other waddling, toilet paper stuck to his shoe.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #29 on: <01-04-12/1037:32> »
Oddly, the pic for Slamm-O! was my one major complaint about the supplemental, as it doesn't keep with anything that's been said/shown about him in past fiction, particularly, Game, Set, Match from SR4A... "but who
knew the annoying hacker had such a fine body? She’d thought he’d be one of those pasty-skinned couch potatoes"... SR4A pg 214. Now, issues of personal taste aside, I really don't see any female describing the droop-gutted, man-boob bedecked image from the supplemental pic as anything even close to a 'fine body'. Wasn't even any attempt to keep consistent in overall look from Game Set Match to the supplemental, since there's a character shot in the SR4A fiction.

I can let a lot of things slide in the interests of taking things from a 'consider it from within the game world' perspective, but the one thing I've always jumped on when I spot it is internal inconsistency.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.