NEWS

[IC] Waves of Desperation (Seattle Gauntlet, Part I)

  • 374 Replies
  • 55373 Views

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #345 on: <09-26-13/1807:32> »
Ho...Holy shit, thousands?
Matt's shoulders slumped and he felt defeated. Having only seen the carnage a few hours ago, he knew it was bad, but the confirmation of the casualty count was crushing.
Whilst he and the others remained alive he knew there was no chance any of them would be able to live without looking over their shoulder.

I'm a bit busted up man, I'll sleep on it and have a think. I guess it'll be in there.
Thanks man, yeah, these guys can be trusted, we're all in this shit together. I'll take you up on that offer.
Yeah, ok, I'll give Tweety a call first up tomorrow then.. See how the land lies in the morning.


Matts face cracked a much overdue smile at the thought of any of Danny's "friends" being angels.
Ha, yeah, figured that much. That might be an option man, I'll speak to the others and see what they think. Can you get me a price on that? Gonna need to sell my shit off or rent out my ass. Both, probably! You think Lorenzo would have any pull? I know he's only a kid-journo, but he knows people and knows how to ask around. I haven't called him yet, dunno If he'll sell me out for the scoop-of-a-fragging-lifetime. Whadya reckon?

Matt rubbed his temples and face with fatigue. This bed was looking damn tempting and it wasn't even properly night yet.
How are you doing anyway Danny?[/spoiler]
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

MaxKojote

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 556
« Reply #346 on: <09-26-13/1922:40> »
Having been given the commlink and realising it was his turn, he entered  the room and sat somewhat despondently on the bed.I'm not cut out for this... He thought as he turned the commlink over, then contact the commcode for Ms Steele.

"Please pick up... You're the only person I can call..." He said it out loud, voice strained. The crushing realisation of having no money, no support and no way to go back home was finally setting in alongside the thought that his coworkers were dead and he was under suspicion. Their names briefly ran through his head. I wonder how many were still there when it all went to hell...

When Ms Steele picked up the other end, he began talking. "Hello Ms Steele... None of his usual joking  emphasis on the 'Ms'. "It's Joel. You've likely seen the news... And hopefully you don't feel I did this. Either way, we're going to need help."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

farothel

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3857
« Reply #347 on: <09-27-13/0208:43> »
Well, this was to be expected.  In fact, the only reason she had called him was because he might actually know something, or be in a position to find out.  But as he said, he had other assets to protect.  Well, she had tried.

"You know Annie, right," she said, "she used to work in the same location I did, but now she's in a massage parlor Downtown, probably also one of yours.  Should you ever find something out, maybe visit her."
With that she broke the connection, so he didn't have to answer.  Looking at the time, she decided that it might be possible to call Annie.
"Hey Annie, it's Jade," she said, "how are you doing?"

[spoiler]
again, if she doesn't pick up, I'll leave a message.
edge test: edge 2 (2d6.hits(5)=1)

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <09-27-13/0543:12> by farothel »
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #348 on: <09-27-13/0506:57> »
--Matt--

”Man, I’m still all right, but I’m not looking forward to the visit of the Law. Boys are packing things right now.” Danny’s huffing started to recede, he probably sat down and caught his breath while you talked. ”And a price for transportation out? I don’t know, man, these prices usually adjust by person and by task. And as you are, well, a celebrity right now, I’m sure those guys would take advantage of the situation. A few thousand at the least. Plus additional costs, like a new ID, hooking up with contacts at your destination, etcetera. Per person. And that is just the bottom, depending on where you want to arrive, it might go up significantly.”

When you mentioned Lorenzo, he became very uncertain. ”That’s a tough call, man. You know Lorenzo desperately wants to hit the limelight. This would be a perfect opportunity. He might not sell you out to the cops, but I’m not so sure he wouldn’t to Horizon. And he’s small fry, if he doesn’t get company support, he’d bleed out after the first few interviews in the topic. Seriously, what do you think the chances are he’d get that support without turning you in?

“Anyway, try to get some rest. I have to run, there’s something the boys can’t do without me. I know you know, but I say this regardless: I got your back. Personally, I’d like to see the bastards who did this pay, but I got your back anyway.” After this, you said your goodbyes and hung up.


--Joel--

”Joel?” Ms Steele’s voice was radiating shock and relief at the same time. ”Is that really you, Joel? Oh, thank God, I already feared the worst. I’m so glad to hear your voice, dear.” Her voice wavered, she probably just took her stunningly soft handkerchief and wiped some tears from her eyes.

”Of course I saw that rubbish broadcast on trideo. I’ve heard of lots of terrible events, but to actually think someone coming up with the idea for this… They are evil, evil men, if they are still entitled that designation. Oh, what? Don’t be silly, boy, I didn’t think of you doing this even for a second.” Her voice changed to incredulity, anger slowly building up. You felt if you didn’t stop her soon, one of her usual tirades would come. She was always like this when she met injustice, or just sheer stupidity. ”And I will tell so, to anyone who asks. To think that someone might consider you, a devoted follower of Wolf’s ideals, capable of doing such a horror! I might not even wait until someone asks!
“Oh, and by the way, since when do you refer to yourself in the plural? Poor thing, this tragedy must have affected you quite bad. I can’t even imagine what the astral looked like inside. Now, I’m sure that you looked, I’d have done the same, but please, please tell me, you didn’t look for long.”



--Miko--

Annie didn’t take the call at that moment. You left your message before passing the commlink to the next person to make his calls.
[spoiler=test please]Make a simple Edge test.[/spoiler]
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

MaxKojote

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 556
« Reply #349 on: <09-27-13/0655:56> »
Joel sighed. "I'm fine Ms Steele... Really I am." He sounded as tired as he felt. But relieved as well, a familiar voice helped a lot. "It's really bad as  well. I did peek, as you predicted. All the death..." His voice trailed off as he shuddered. "It was a tad unpleasant. Whatever happened knocked me out and did a number on me. When I woke up... They were all dead. Thee were a few survivors, me and a few others, all of whom showed up as suspects on a broadcast I saw while figuring out what happened." He hesitated, then pressed on. Ms Steele would certainly understand, perhaps even have an idea.

"While I was out, I think Wolf sent me a message as a dream. A couple of predators, a lot of prey, all milling around with some semblance of order. Then a wolf howls and the dream ended with me waking up surrounded by bodies..." He felt somewhat sick at the memories that had been dredged up. "There were plenty of malignant spirits around already. The astral space is, predictably, rather tainted by what happened. So don't project around there."

"I'm well... Not alone. A couple of others were with me when I got out. I have a low force Beast watching over us, but I don't currently have the power to negotiate with a more powerful spirit. Wolf doesn't appreciate us being ambitious beyond our position and I got a reminder about that."  He rubbed his temples. The headache had remained, proving a rather irritating distraction. "Anyway, I'm safe. But kind of helpless at the moment. My account and scrips are a bad idea right now, and I don't use credsticks. Anyway, what're the Azzies saying about it? My employment with them probably has come up at some point."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #350 on: <09-27-13/1159:44> »
Thanks Danny boy, it means a lot. I'll call tomorrow after I've spoken to Tweety.
Stay safe man.


Matt slumped back against the wall as he finished up the call.
Lorenzo is out then, I can't take that risk right now.
Matt rubbed his temples again, trying to relieve the headache he'd had all day, he was gonna need leroy's help on this one.
Dragging himself up to his feet once again, he headed back to Miko's room to hand the commlink back to the next person. They'd need to meet up and have a chat tonight after everyone made their calls and he wasn't sure how the others would react to the options he had from Danny
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3857
« Reply #351 on: <09-28-13/0440:11> »
'No response,' she thought.  Well, that was to be expected.  When she gave the commlink to Joel, she told him that there might be a call for her coming in, as the person she had tried to call wasn't there and she had asked to call back.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Gustovness

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 392
« Reply #352 on: <09-28-13/1901:42> »
Mr. Jenkins, thanks for calling.

"Of course, Ms. Lockwell, if anyone can help us out it's you."

Of course you know I'm recording this conversation?

"Yeah, of course, no problem.  You're a reporter after all.  I need people to know our story... to know we didn't do this... and you're the best person to get our story out."

I assure you, Mr. Jenkins, I will get to the truth no matter what...

Now, what can you tell me about what happened?

"We learned after the... event... that KE had suspects already lined up... those suspects just so happen to be us, the only survivors."

I see, what a coincidence...

"I don't know what the hell you're implying!  What the hell could we possibly wanna blow that place up for?"

Tell me, Leroy, what did you find there?

"Death... fires scattered here about... debris...  There was definitely... physical damage done."

You're not telling me anything I don't already know, Leroy.

"Well... not everyone died from the fires and explosions.

... the bio-attack scare? There was something legitimate about it?  It wasn't just a scare tactic by Knight Errant?

"Everything is a scare tactic by them.  Everything...

That doesn't sound like something a city worker would say, Mr. Jenkins.  You're sounding like a ganger now.  You're sounding like an outlaw.  You're sounding like someone from the dredges of society that doesn't appreciate the good that Knight Errant does to keep us safe.

"... that's not true."

We'll let the public decide that, Mr. Jenkins.  Now, you were saying that there were bodies there that didn't die from physical means?  Are you implying a chemical agent was released along with the bombing?

"It's the only thing I could think of.  There were dead bodies without any sort of physical trauma on them."

Do you have any proof?

"Well, I took some evidence off of a victim.  I haven't had the chance to run tests on it yet."

And why not turn that evidence in to the proper authorities?

"ARE YOU FRAGGIN' KIDDING ME!?  HAVE YOU BEEN LISTENING TO WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING?  Your "proper authorities" set us up!"

You're a terrorist, Leroy.  The only thing worse than a terrorist of ideology is a terrorist for hire... a Shadowrunner.  Which one are you?."

Leroy awoke in his room drenched in sweat and clasping his medkit so tightly he thought he would break it under his dwarf strength.

Son of a bitch...

He checked the time.  He had been out for two hours.  After his shower and change of clothes he must have let himself pass out.

He laid back down and let out a sigh.  His companions were likely making use of the commlink they picked up.

Not like I'd have anyone to call who could help me out anyways.

He reflected on his dream.  Should they reach out to the media?  No.  Not yet...  Knight Errant had evidence (albeit false) and they had nothing.  No.  First, they'd have to make a case for themselves first.  They were guilty until proven innocent.

He drifted back into sleep as he mulled over just how they'd go about doing that.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #353 on: <09-28-13/2023:21> »
bam bam bam, come one man....
come on....
bam bam bam...
Leroy, wake up man, its Matt, we need to get a plan sorted for tomorrow.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Gustovness

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 392
« Reply #354 on: <09-29-13/0024:25> »
Leroy mumbled, "Wake me up in the mornin'.... get yourself some sleep chum... we're gonna need it tomorrow."

He rolled over.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #355 on: <09-29-13/0430:16> »
--Joel--

"That dream could've had several distinct meanings. However, the predators among the prey... Is it possible that whoever did this was there in the building?" Her thoughtful voice trails off, then she starts again. "But you know, Wolf is also a predator, albeit one that works in packs. And i couldn't say i'm surprised that you already looked for a different one. These others, shown on trid, could be your best chance. Dear, i know you must be scared enough, but i advise you against contacting anyone else within the Aztechnology. They gave out a statement, distancing themselves from you immediately. The order came down via AZTnet that anyone knowing anyting about your whereabouts should contact the higher-ups ASAP."

"And don't worry about me, i didn't plan on getting even near that place. There must be dozens of Errant magicians supervising the astral there, and i don't very much like horror stories, as you know. And about money? I don't know, i also don't have any credsticks ready, and i think it would hurt you more than help, if i suddenly converted some of my scrips."

"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

MaxKojote

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 556
« Reply #356 on: <09-29-13/2211:56> »
Joel sighed. He knew she was right, even if he hated it. "Yeah, converting scrips might be a bit suspicious especially with Az distancing me. I'm probably going to hide under the radar for a while until I can clear my name. Best I don't tell you my whereabouts, that way they can't get it out of you.." He paused for a bit, wearing a gloomy expression.. "I better not stay on the line too long. I know the  others need to make calls too. I'm alright though. I'll stick with this new pack, a wolf needs a pack; and I'll avoid contacting any other Azzies. I probably won't be in touch with you much either, otherwise it could throw suspicion on you." He sighed again.

"I guess this is goodbye for a while. I'll manage to survive to clear my name, don't worry. Just take care of yourself."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #357 on: <09-30-13/1108:01> »
Matt headed back to the room, checked the time and contemplated what to do next. The prospect of a free warm meal was tempting, especially when he didn't know how long it would be until he could get another, but unless he went alone he knew he couldn't risk being spotted and recognised.
The soydog would have to cut it for now, hopefully whatever crashpad Danny or Tweety could sort tomorrow would have a decent SoyProcessor they could use.
Matt lay out on the small and lumpy bed, slaving the burner link's output to his image link and browsed the varying Seattle news organisations take on the day's events, desperately trying to match it up and fill in the blanks in his own patchy memories.
[spoiler]
memory test (6d6.hits(5)=1) memory test, 1 hit[/spoiler]
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #358 on: <09-30-13/1400:43> »
--Joel--

"Dear, you take care of yourself. Don't you worry about me, i'll get by. And if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to give me a call, just don't use your real name. If Stray is calling, i'll always have a few minutes for him. I know it's still a risk, but i couldn't face myself in the morning if i left you on your own. And don't you try arguing, just remember what that availed last time." You hear her voice going soft, and that she meant what she said.

Almost immediately after you said your goodbyes and hung up, there was an incoming call. The ID was unknown, naturally, as the burner didn't contain any contact information. You remember Miko mentioning someone possibly calling back, but you knew that by the time you got down to her room, the caller would surely hang up.


--Matt--

News were vague. Knight Errant still got the area in a complete lockdown, courtesy to potential biohazard. At least that's what they said. Media got their information mainly from the KE spokesperson, Mirielle Banes. According to her statements, what you heard from Danny was really true. Thousands dead, although it was still too early for casuality lists. Not too much on the supposed terrorists, besides their pictures, and some basic information, like names, jobs, but it was also all vague. You'd have expected them to be able to dig more info out about you during the past hours.

Of course, scavengers already appeared, although not in the physical sense. Alamos 20K assumed responsibility for the act of terrorism, for they found the Rider employing metahumans both during construction and in businesses a sin against humanity. Almost as a response, Sons of Sauron also gave a statement, just for the opposing reason, that owners employed too low a rate of metahumans, denying them their chances to provide for their families. It was probably all BS of course. On the other hand, lots of charitable organizations offered help in some form, either to those who desperately waited for information about their loved ones, or to the authorities. It was almost like the old saying went: you couldn't see the body under the vultures.

As to your memories, still nothing surfaced. A good night's sleep might help, even though it still wasn't that late. And the hot meal would probably be available in the morning as well.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #359 on: <10-01-13/0446:52> »
Claiming responsibility for the attack seemed a crazy thing to do in anyones book, especially with such a high bodycount. Matt spent a while browsing public archives for info on both Alamos 20k and Sons of Sauron.
If he was going to be indited as one of their number in time, he'd better know their policies and history. Matt set his alarm for 7am and double-checked the lock on his door, switching the external ARO to "Do Not Disturb" Not that it'll make the slightest bit of difference in a shit-tip like this"

Though it was still early, Matt felt the stresses of the long day gnaw at his eyelids, drawing them closed.
It wasn't long before he fell asleep...
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor