NEWS

[IC] Waves of Desperation (Seattle Gauntlet, Part I)

  • 374 Replies
  • 56149 Views

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #315 on: <09-18-13/0730:25> »
--Miko--

“-No need to get angry, chummer, just don’t pay any attention to Marl, he’s always like this when he drinks.” Eyes getting wider, the reasonable-seeming man tried to placate you. “You’re in Touristville.”
“-What, geddin’ all friendly with the… cough… shlitch, Ben? Wanna shlot her dontcha?”
“-I said shut it, Marl, I don’t want my hoop handed to me ‘cuz you’re bloody glitched.” Looking back at you, he saw that his answer wasn’t the one you were expecting, and began to get truly scared. “Look, chummer, this is the middle of nowhere, I dunno what you want. You tell me, I can try giving directions, I will.”
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #316 on: <09-21-13/1709:57> »
Might be worth having a walk round the block if miko gets nothing out of them hobo's. I guess we'll find stuff like a coffin motel off the main drag where all that neon is. Might be worth hunkering down somewhere till dark though...
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3857
« Reply #317 on: <09-21-13/1915:34> »
"We need a spot where we can lay low for a couple of days," Miko said, "A coffin motel if they have it in this vicinity, although I don't think so.
She didn't ask for vending machines, as this was the barrens.  How long would a vending machine stay here before it would be broken open.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #318 on: <09-22-13/1307:45> »
--Miko--
"-The Overnight is three streets down that way." Ben pointed in the direction where some neon signs were visible. "It's not the best but at least it's not raining in there."
"-Heh-cough-heh, go and get the shlitch what she wantsh. Mebbe she'll get... cough... you what you wantsh." Ben's eyes couldn't have gone much wider. He tries to move the furtest away from Marl while still staying under the makeshift roof.
"-Please, don't hit me." he whines.

--Leroy--
You see one of the men pointing in the general direction of the Downfall then looking at his companion, and trying to move away from him.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Gustovness

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 392
« Reply #319 on: <09-22-13/1354:17> »
Looks like we're gettin' somewhere...
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

farothel

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3857
« Reply #320 on: <09-22-13/1431:57> »
"For what he said," Jade said, "Why would I hit you for that.  I'm not even going to hit him."
'I'd rather not catch a disfiguring skin disease,' she didn't say out loud.
"Thanks for the information," she added before going back to the others.

"There's a coffin motel that way," she said, "A place called the Overnight.  I haven't asked about vending machines.  There are none here, or they would be emptied faster than they can fill them.  For that we have to go deeper into Touristville I guess."
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

MaxKojote

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 556
« Reply #321 on: <09-24-13/0455:19> »
Joel rubbed his temples, trying to ignore the pending headache in favour of the news Miko had given them. "Coffin motel you say? Let's go there then. Anywhere we can go so we can get things together and plan where to go from here." Joel wasn't particularly interested in anything else yet. He also wasn't particularly interested in hearing reasons not to go to the motel, but resisted the urge to start walking there despite any objections the group might have. It wouldn't do to annoy the only people  he could possibly rely on at the moment. "If nothing else, we can probably get our wounds properly looked at by Leroy."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #322 on: <09-24-13/1134:20> »
Right... We're still kind of in civilisation here. How do we want to play this, all walk in or just one of us try our luck first? If we're all seen together it might trigger people's memory more than just one of us.
I dunno...thoughts?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Gustovness

  • *
  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 392
« Reply #323 on: <09-25-13/0209:19> »
Matt makes a good point...

"You can go ahead and check it out first... I'm gonna grab some chow and a change of clothes."

Leroy headed to a street vendor.  His voracious appetite was making it hard to see past.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #324 on: <09-25-13/0238:37> »
actually a new set of clothes and something to eat sounds like a great idea, I'm sure I smell of shit right now.
Matt follows Leroy to the vendors and
Grabs a Soydog and a set of disposable clothes from the automated dispensors.
Finding a quiet alley, Matt changes his clothes before heading into the coffin motel, keeping a look out for cameras
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3857
« Reply #325 on: <09-25-13/0437:49> »
"Matt, make sure to see if they have rooms that can accommodate me," Jade called after him, before she also went for a a bite to eat.  She had to go to other vendors, who sold food suitable for trolls.  Afterwards she also went to the motel.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #326 on: <09-25-13/0443:59> »
Stuffing the last of the plastic tasting soydog into his mouth, matt mumbles a "sure thing" and a thumbs up at Miko as he heads off up the street, wiping the worst of the muck off his lined coat with the napkin.
Matt made a point of turning his collar up on his jacket to obscure his face somewhat, leaving his helmet on and image link screen deployed to further help obscure his features.
« Last Edit: <09-25-13/0905:18> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #327 on: <09-25-13/0907:33> »
You walked to the nearest vending machines for a change of clothes and to replenish your energy by munching on something closely related to food. Some of you were more used to the taste, some of you less, this wasn’t even near the quality of vendors in Tacoma. Still, the warm SoyDogs smelled surprisingly appetizing and by the time you realized you already wolfed them down.
There were still few people around on the streets. A delivery van stopped at the corner, a small, mousy elf stepping out in the rain and bringing a package inside, then leaving within two minutes. Two tough-looking humans in bulky, grey hoodies with a white circle on the back looked at you for a few seconds calculatingly, but decided against further action and walked on.


--Matt--
After changing you went ahead and closed in on the Overnight. A usual construction, the coffin hotel consisted of two hive-like structures facing each other, open corridors between them on each level. Rooms were almost uniform, slightly larger on the first two floors, to accommodate guests of bigger stature. An open staircase led up to the top floor, the fifth, coming from a small structure that must have contained some entrance hall, even though a hall would be too grandiose a name for it.
The automated door opened as you neared the building. The entrance hall was small indeed, with no furniture at all. Two other doors were visible, an icon meaning manager on one, the other showing stairs. A wavering AR screen filled one wall, detailing the short list of services available, recommending nearby vendors and services, and cautioning that the building didn’t have a contract with any security provider. Currently, 18 bigger rooms were occupied out of 24, and 30 smaller out of 54.
[spoiler=coffin hotel info] The coffin hotel costs 25 nujen a night for small rooms, 30 for bigger ones. No identification is necessary. Payment is by credstick or credit card (latter does identify you, of course), up front. Bigger rooms reserved for ork or troll guests, others have to take the smaller ones. Rooms are assigned automatically. The basic fee includes a free meal at Lonny’s Diner, around the corner. Electricity and water is rationed (daily quota, maybe enough for a very quick shower and to cover the power for two or three low-consumption gadgets). For an extra 10 nujen, you can use the hotel’s matrix connection for an hour, although they only provide the opportunity, not the hardware, so you have to have your own commlink.[/spoiler]
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

  • *
  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5107
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #328 on: <09-25-13/0916:18> »
Trying desperately not to make eye-contact with the gangers, make keeps his face as buried into his collar as possible.
Hopefully they just wanted to mug him and not sell him out to the highest bidder.

Entering the coffin motel with a spring in his step, he jogs up the few steps from street level, waiting a milisecond for the automatic door to swing open for him.
Once inside the small entrance room, Matt takes a good look at the services and recommended vendors, making a point of looking for one that dealt in cheap or disposable commlinks. Making some calls tonight was priority number one.
Maybe his good buddie knew someone who could bail them out of this drek or help clear their names.
Slotting his credstik into the port below the AR terminal, he paid for 3 normal rooms and a large room and waited for the RFID keys before heading back to the team.
The sound of a free meal was surely enticing, the soydog only serving to remind him how hungry he actually was. Being seen together as a group in public though didn't sound so enticing, someone was surely bound to have seen the news today.
« Last Edit: <09-25-13/0927:43> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

  • *
  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1364
« Reply #329 on: <09-25-13/1256:03> »
 --Matt--
The system confirmed the reservation for rooms 105, 304, 312, and 507, and deducted 105 nujen from the credstick accordingly. Receiving the keys, you were free to occupy your rooms, until noon next day. The system reminded you that if you wished to extend your reservation for the same room, you might do so until 10 in the morning next day, otherwise you'd get a different room assigned automatically.
When you checked available services and recommendations, you noticed a shop called Dean's Electronics, which was open till 6 in the evening, even on friday. Its about two blocks away from here. You noticed, however, that your credstick was dangerously low, you couldn't afford even a disposable comm if you didn't want to use your other sources.

--all--
The rooms themselves barely deserved the name. Small boltholes with an uncomfortable bed that could be folded up next to the wall, and you needed to do that in order to reach into the footlocker built under it. A door opposite the entrance led to a miniscule bathroom, which contained a basin and a toilet, both could be folded into the walls, and a shower head built into the low ceiling. The rooms truly felt restraining, even in the bigger one for Miko, you'd have trouble if all four of you wanted to enter.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake