NEWS

[IC] Waves of Desperation (Seattle Gauntlet, Part I)

• 374 Replies

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #135 on: <08-03-13/1009:59> »
--Matt--
The sounds came from the left, from a door left ajar, about 20 meters down the corridor. As the drone neared, you could pick the exact broadcast. It must have been just outside, a live coverage of the events. The room itself was a staff room from the plaque on it. The opening was quite small, even for the drone that hovered in front of it. You heard no other sound but the trid, the sensors didn't detect any kind of movement.

"...and we were informed about Knight Errant setting up blockades three blocks out from the Rider. According to the leader of the task force assigned for the event, Colonel Henry Dansby, this is just a precaution. The drones sent in to the vicinity of the building brought back samples of air and water from there and these are currently analyzed in the field laboratory, and their experts in the Central Office are also working on determining if it's safe to go near the building. In the meantime, they contacted the owners about the issue of matrix connection. If you joined only recently, there seems to be some problem connecting to the system of the building, as well as any commlinks inside. As for the cause, we still heard nothing, but according to inside information, the units of GOD weren't notified yet..."
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #136 on: <08-03-13/1159:32> »
Matt listened carefully and paid close attention to the motion sensor read out, but finally was satisfied that there were no moving targets up ahead.
Matt logged out of the drone; issuing it a command
//Drone Command: Hold this position. Scan for new contacts + alert me on discovery//

The Simsense took a second to wear off while Matt's brain slowly realised it was actually human and not in fact a drone.
Guys you were right, it is a trid broadcast. its the news, playing from the staff room further up on the left. Sounds like they've blockaded this section of the city a few blocks out, surrounding the rider.
I can't detect any movement or signs of life from the staff room but keep your eyes open.

Matt walked slowly up the corridor towards the staff room, Taser drawn and ready, its laser sight casting a red dot over the polished floor.
The door was ajar and Matt was glad he didn't try and pilot his drone though it, it would have been very tight.
He looked back at the group to show he was going to open the door and checked that they were ready.
Keeping his back to the wall, he used his left hand to push the door open and kept the taser pointed into the door frame, ready for trouble.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #137 on: <08-04-13/0452:10> »
Jade lumbered after him, not saying anything.  At least it wasn't anything dangerous this time, but she kept her gun ready just in case.  No matter what it was, there was danger out here, so much she knew.  Or at least, could assume.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #138 on: <08-04-13/0621:41> »
Joel followed behind Jade, looking around nervously. The oppressive feeling in the Astral space was still easily felt in the physical plane. Restrictive, chilling. Certain types of Awakened might revel in the feeling of death, he was not one of them.

"No, I don't need detection spells... My senses do just fine!" I was such a bloody idiot to not learn any, would make my life much easier.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #139 on: <08-04-13/1105:43> »
Matt slowly opened a door leading to a small room, able to let four or five people to take a break at the same time. Two couches sat at two sides - about four meters each - and two vending machines stood on the third, beside a small terminal with two screens. On one screen, it showed instructions about work, the other showed the trid broadcast. A single body lay in front of one vending machine, the smell of soykaf lingered about a pool of spilled liquid. He seemed to be one of the employees responsible for drone maintenance, a toolkit hanged on his utility belt.

"...and we are still in the middle of composing a list of people who were there when the Rider locked down, but we can confirm that the Silverspike didn't arrive yet when the events began. However, our own Kate Lockwell is among those for whom millions of people are currently praying, for them to be well and come out of there alive...
Bulldog
Stake

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #140 on: <08-04-13/1108:00> »
"Is anybody sufficiently technical to use this to send a signal the other way," Jade asked, "if this thing can recieve a signal, it should be able to sent one as well."
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #141 on: <08-04-13/1150:55> »
"I um... If we need to I could try to Astrally project myself out there. Only issues are that I will be out of contact and you won't be able to get me if there is trouble." Joel suggested hesitantly. "So if we go ahead with it, let me know beforehand what I should say, and who you are in the event someone asks about you."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #142 on: <08-04-13/1751:34> »
Matt eyes the toolkit hungrily, knowing with some time he could probably co-erce one of those emergency doors into opening.
Everything in his body told him that looting the dead was wrong, but knowing what was at stake, Matt began to undo the utility belt and re-attach it to himself.
He systematically checked the workers pockets, checking for access cards and keys.

I dunno, let me take a look at this terminal, see what we can do from here.
Matt sits down at the desk and examines the terminal's capabilities.

What's the Silverspike? is that what they're calling this..."event"??
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #143 on: <08-05-13/0414:23> »
"The SilverSpike is a band," Jade said, "they were supposed to launch their new album today.  One of the reasons I was here today was to give extra security for those guys."
She walked up to the vending machines and got a soykaf.  While it was probably undrinkable - the one from vending machines most often is - it was at least hot and with added caffeine.  Something she could use right now.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #144 on: <08-05-13/0641:40> »
--Matt--
Checking the dead worker took little time. The belt contained a commlink as well as the toolkit, but no keys or cards were present. He must have been a low-position worker, with no access to higher security areas, probably the commlink contained all passwords and identification needed. His pockets contained some personal belongings, all useless in this situation.
[spoiler=test please]Roll INT + Perception(Smell) (3) test, and no active search bonus this time.[/spoiler]

The terminal proved to be a simple workstation, with reduced functionality. The upper screen was designed to show trid broadcasts. According to the AR buttons ande switches, several channels were pre-programmed but for some reason, only the one currently running could be reached. The lower screen was an info-screen, the controls could be used to scroll a big map of the mall, switch between floors, and get information about situations, schedules, and other work-related stuff.

The terminal itself was a simple workstation, with infinitesimal signal capacity of its own, just to be able to reach those in the room, but it must have been wired to the systems of the mall. And as with most hardware, there was a universal connection. Plugging your commlink, you tried everything you knew to boost the device’s signal, to broadcast out of the building.
[spoiler=test please]Roll LOG + Electronic Warfare test. You can use Signal + ECCM as if someone was helping in a teamwork test.[/spoiler]

--Miko--
Stepping over a single body as you moved to the vending machine almost seemed like nothing, compared to what was outside. The soykaf was what you expected, cheap and bland, but the hot liquid full of coffein eased your anxiety and raised your awareness. You stepped aside as Matt patted down the unfortunate worker and took his utility belt.
[spoiler=test please]Roll INT + Perception(Smell) (5) test.[/spoiler]

--Joel--
The thought of projecting int he building made you shiver. You got the feeling that while you strode up and down this part of the mall, the situation somehow got worse over there.
[spoiler=test please]Roll LOG + Security Procedures (2) test. You can use your specialization if you want to.[/spoiler]

--Leroy--
It seemed the others would spend some time in the room, trying several methods to communicate with the outside. And there was a single body, lying there, which provided a perfect opportunity if you wanted to know more. Outside, you could only check for basic vital signs while looking at the bodies, as the immensity of the task left you no more as a peek at each victim. Here, there would be no distractions.
[spoiler=note]As you played the „Have to do something” part very well, i thought this would be a place where it struck again. I don’t want to railroad you however, so you certainly can decide on a different course of action.[/spoiler]

--all--
The broadcast continued on the upper screen, an interview with a witness was on.
...and i heard screams and saw people running out of the Rider, just a dozen or so, while the security grilles rolled down, and those people seemed scared ****less. Then suddenly, two of them fell on the ground, convulsing like in pain or something. That's when more people started running, even those few who were trying to help the others before, and i just remember running with the others and trying not to get trampled...
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #145 on: <08-05-13/0743:41> »
Matt stuffs the commlink in his jacket pocket, Might have some access codes on it I can use...
[spoiler]perception test: int 3, percep 2, coprocessor 2, -1 wound (6d6.hits(5)=2)[/spoiler]
Ok guys, I'm going to try and broadcast from here. I hope to god this works...
[spoiler]Teamwork: teamwork; signal 6, eccm 4 (10d6.hits(5)=4) +4DP to broadcast
Broadcast test:Log 3, Ewar 3, team +4 (10d6.hits(5)=5)[/spoiler]
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #146 on: <08-05-13/0850:22> »
[spoiler]I fail the test. 1 Logic, no points in Security Procedures.[/spoiler]

Joel kept an eye on the screen, a frown on his face. Explains why they thought it was a biohazard... Wonder if they've had any other mages take a look at the Astral here.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #147 on: <08-05-13/1006:52> »
"Hey, Leroy was it right," Miko said to the dwarf, "you're some sort of paramedic right?  If you have had some training in that area, can you try to find out what he died of?  It might be easier to get some countermeasures going if we know what we have to counter in the first place."

While she had some time, she checked on the plans on her commlink to see where the nearest shop was that had bows.  Should it become necessary, that way she knew where to go 'shopping'.

[spoiler]
intuition 4 + perception 3 =7 (7d6.hits(5)=3)
not enough to get treshold 5, but with only 7 dice I wasn't really expecting it.

@Ren: I'm the one with the security procedures knowledge skill.
[/spoiler]

Gustovness

• Omae
« Reply #148 on: <08-06-13/0217:50> »
Leroy stood at the threshold to the doorway looking around the room.  He was interested in the tridcast.

Convulsing? What the fuck?

He looked to Matt looting the corpse. A "field autopsy" may help shed some light on this situation.  He approached the corpse after Matt had finished his search.  He began to inspect the man, all thoughts of healing out of his mind.  He was applying his expertise to death now, not healing.

"I'm fire rescue." He said aloud to the group, looking at the body as he began to check it.  "I'm usually workin' on puttin' out fires though..."

He searched for any clues he could muster as to what could have killed this man.

[spoiler]I ran various possible dice rolls.  You can use all or some of them at your discretion.  I nested results so you can decide the thresholds of each roll before checking the results!

Chemistry Skill - Checking for chemical agents on the body and/or side effects (ie Anthrax makes the skin look like this, cyanide makes this color appear on eyes, whatever)
[spoiler]Chemistry 5 + LOG 5 - Wounded 1 = 9 (9d6.hits(5)=3)

No glitch[/spoiler]

First Aid Skill - Basic medical stuff, possible causes of death, body heat, signs of struggle, marks, trauma, etc.
[spoiler]First Aid 2 + LOG 5 - Wounded 1 = 6 (6d6.hits(5)=4)[/spoiler]

Medicine Skill - Maybe you can think of something that I can't.  Maybe we find medication on this guy that can provide a clue.  Maybe he looks like he OD'ed on a drug rather than a chemical agent. 
[spoiler]Medicine 2 + LOG 5 - Wounded 1 = 6 (6d6.hits(5)=3)

No glitch.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Without raising his eyes away from his task, Leroy muttered to the crew, "If any of ya'll spell slingas can take a look to see if this poor mothafucka got geeked by some kinda magic, it might help us know what happend here."
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #149 on: <08-06-13/0426:07> »
"That would be me. Guess I can give it a shot." Joel answered, moving toward the body. He narrowed his eyes as he slipped into the Astral plane, investigating the body for astral signatures. "Can't guarantee too much though, the sheer amount of death is messing with my Astral sight."

[spoiler]Assensing (4) + Intuition (5) + Perceptive (1) - Wounds (1) - Visibility (2) (7d6.hits(5)=2) Not high enough.
Retry: Assensing (4) + Intuition (5) + Perceptive (1) - Wounds (1) - Visibility (2) - Retry (2) (5d6.hits(5)=1) Was worth a shot.[/spoiler]

Joel shook his head in frustration. "Can't get anything on the body. I'd need a look in a better location." Meaning not in here.

Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)