NEWS

Run & Gun is Live!

• 158 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #135 on: <05-01-14/1858:32> »
...ok, do Shadowrun fans not understand the concept of "Voting with your wallet"?

People, if you disagree with the direction that a company is taking their product line, and you feel like you're talking to a brick wall while trying to deliver your criticisms, then don't buy their stuff!

This is not a brand new concept, people! I mean  we already have clear proof of D&D fans leaving in droves from 4th edition to Pathfinder...and oh hey look, D&DNext is trying to go back to mechanics reminiscent of AD&D to appeal to older fans! Gee, I wonder what happened to create that turnaround?
In all fairness, I kinda liked D&D 4e, but what pissed me off is that rather than admitting they screwed up adjusting to the playtesting results and then forgetting to test that and providing a quick rule-of-thumb errata, they instead made a D&D 4.25 instead, which was not compatible. And then they decided to make their chargen a full subscription-only thing. Oh, and I made an account to try to get their fancy thing, but then it turned out that required creditcards due to subscription fees, and then it was impossible to delete the account again... That was pretty much the point where I decided to never buy a Wizards product again.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #136 on: <05-01-14/1906:38> »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #137 on: <05-01-14/1909:11> »
...ok, do Shadowrun fans not understand the concept of "Voting with your wallet"?

People, if you disagree with the direction that a company is taking their product line, and you feel like you're talking to a brick wall while trying to deliver your criticisms, then don't buy their stuff!

This is not a brand new concept, people! I mean  we already have clear proof of D&D fans leaving in droves from 4th edition to Pathfinder...and oh hey look, D&DNext is trying to go back to mechanics reminiscent of AD&D to appeal to older fans! Gee, I wonder what happened to create that turnaround?
In all fairness, I kinda liked D&D 4e, but what pissed me off is that rather than admitting they screwed up adjusting to the playtesting results and then forgetting to test that and providing a quick rule-of-thumb errata, they instead made a D&D 4.25 instead, which was not compatible. And then they decided to make their chargen a full subscription-only thing. Oh, and I made an account to try to get their fancy thing, but then it turned out that required creditcards due to subscription fees, and then it was impossible to delete the account again... That was pretty much the point where I decided to never buy a Wizards product again.

They're taking 5E in a similar direction on the electronic front. If anything, it seems they're trying to set it up to tie 5E even more with the subscription service. So I wouldn't even bother wasting my money on physical books for playing anything new in DnD. The PDFs are cheaper and don't clutter up the computer desk.

I do vote with my wallet. And despite the quality issues with the rules as written, this is still a higher-quality game than a lot of what's out there. That's why I may grumble... but I still am looking at the next product. Which reminds me... I finally got to one product and have a review to do.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #138 on: <05-01-14/2036:07> »
Welp the unpopular opinion is getting censored, all is lost.

Good luck with maintaining the sanctity of your fucking echo chamber.
Yours weren't the only posts that were deleted, relax.  My assumption is that we got heated enough the mods figured they'd rather stop that conversation.

And -- again, as clearly as I can state it -- it's not that your opinion isn't unpopular, it's that it's an opinion that's been shared before.  You're not being "censored" because you're saying anything groundbreaking and new, or disrupting an "echo chamber."  You are echoing.  And you're doing so in a terribly abrasive manner that is, yes, likely to bring down moderator attention. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #139 on: <05-01-14/2131:02> »
I'll own it.  I can't be sure if I'm the only one who did so, but I reported your posts, Frank.  I'm not in any way affiliated with CGL, I'm not trying to curry favor from them, and there is no conspiracy to censor you or your opinions.  Quite the opposite in fact.  I personally believe that everyone should be allowed to state their opinions.  But when you start to drop F-bombs every third word, and you start to insult the folks that you claim to support...  that's where I think you've crossed the line.  You violated the terms of service that we all agree to when we register on these forums, one of the terms is to respect the other people on the forums.

The only reason Critias responded to you was because you were making accusations that deserved a reply.  When you got that reply, you then went off on him in a very personal and insulting fashion.  I cannot in good faith abide that kind of behavior, so I reported the posts.

In case you are unclear on the terms of service, please consult this thread.  Please note that I have violated these terms twice, and been reprimanded harshly on both occasions.  This is why I'm so adamant about the application of these rules.  If they aren't applied fairly, then they cease to have power.  And quite simply, these rules are common sense and totally reasonable.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #140 on: <05-01-14/2200:54> »

In all fairness, I kinda liked D&D 4e, but what pissed me off is that rather than admitting they screwed up adjusting to the playtesting results and then forgetting to test that and providing a quick rule-of-thumb errata, they instead made a D&D 4.25 instead, which was not compatible.

That's a mistake WotC seems to keep making, in one form or another. They lost Monte Cook and their number 2 designer (can't remember his name) back in the D20/3.0 days when he told them it was too soon to push out a new edition, and that they should just put out a 3.5 sourcebook with the necessary changes and then wait a few years before making a new edition. His primary argument being that unlike Magic, D&D players would object to having a new edition so early. Their reply was along the lines of "Screw you, it's a slow sales month so we're doing this!" He walked out and went elsewhere. That he left their new project so soon after coming back to work with them is not inspiring me with confidence.
« Last Edit: <05-01-14/2302:33> by Dinendae »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #141 on: <05-01-14/2230:11> »
Welp the unpopular opinion is getting censored, all is lost.

Good luck with maintaining the sanctity of your fucking echo chamber.
Just for fun, I'm going to leave this here. As a warning. This is NOT a democracy. This is NOT a representative authority. This board is for one purpose only: To bring together fans of the game and discuss the game and other facets that warrant discussion. Your post was "censored" because of the harsh language and personal attack on another poster. Yes, I know, you feel that it wasn't a personal attack because it was just two people disagreeing. However, we do have RULES here on the boards and one of the biggest rules boils down to these four words: "DON"T BE A DICK'. You can disagree with someone all you want, have interesting discussions going back and forth on the merits and flaws in each other's viewpoints without saying the people producing this game we all love "f*cking sucks at their jobs".

THIS IS NOT DUMPSHOCK.

We support the creative team here, even if we may complain a bit and beg for a bit more. If you feel that the game could be done better, go ahead and start a Kickstarter. Otherwise, sit down, shut up, and play nice.

And this is your 2nd Official Warning frankhlane. Normally we don't do public warnings like this, but your original posts and your PM response to me regarding your 1st Warning indicates that you're on the fast track to getting banned around here.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #142 on: <05-01-14/2246:10> »
So, how is the Sybil thing going, FastJack?

...  Oh, right, wrong FastJack.  ;D

Now, if only I could find a group willing to GM SR5 for me so that I can Gun Bunny it up nicely.  ;)  (Finally got a SR4A GM.  See what happens with that campaign.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #143 on: <05-02-14/0436:30> »
And -- again, as clearly as I can state it -- it's not that your opinion isn't unpopular, it's that it's an opinion that's been shared before.
Correct. I share some of his grievances and can't say I've been quiet about it, though trying to remain diplomatic and point out that there's a lot of good still there. I do not blame any of the proofreaders or writers for it, though, and am grateful that some take their time to help clarify what they can.

I would, however, suggest that a ctrl+f for smartlink and smartgun is added to a mandatory proofreader checklist. ^_^
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #144 on: <05-02-14/0611:24> »
I wonder if there isn't some way for us, as a community, to build a glossary of common terms?  If we could then submit it for approval to someone official, it would be a really useful asset.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #145 on: <05-02-14/0648:02> »
Starting a thread to try and make one would be the first step either way.  I'd be willing to help with that, as would many others I'm sure.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Chance

• Newb
« Reply #146 on: <05-02-14/1907:18> »
On a completely unrelated topic, the demolitions mod for allowing a break to reset your skill pool for extended tests. Do you suppose this is coming down the pipes for other skills using extended tests?

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #147 on: <05-05-14/0819:06> »
I'll own it.  I can't be sure if I'm the only one who did so, but I reported your posts, Frank.  I'm not in any way affiliated with CGL, I'm not trying to curry favor from them, and there is no conspiracy to censor you or your opinions.  Quite the opposite in fact.  I personally believe that everyone should be allowed to state their opinions.  But when you start to drop F-bombs every third word, and you start to insult the folks that you claim to support...  that's where I think you've crossed the line.  You violated the terms of service that we all agree to when we register on these forums, one of the terms is to respect the other people on the forums.

The only reason Critias responded to you was because you were making accusations that deserved a reply.  When you got that reply, you then went off on him in a very personal and insulting fashion.  I cannot in good faith abide that kind of behavior, so I reported the posts.

In case you are unclear on the terms of service, please consult this thread.  Please note that I have violated these terms twice, and been reprimanded harshly on both occasions.  This is why I'm so adamant about the application of these rules.  If they aren't applied fairly, then they cease to have power.  And quite simply, these rules are common sense and totally reasonable.

If you want to be a forums mod I'm sure you can ask for it instead of posting something like this.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #148 on: <05-05-14/0841:52> »

If you want to be a forums mod I'm sure you can ask for it instead of posting something like this.

People other than mods are invested in keeping this a reasonably civil place.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #149 on: <05-05-14/1050:12> »
I posted that because I didn't want anyone to think that there was a conspiracy to shut down vocal critics of Catalyst.  I wanted to ensure that if Frank was going to rage on someone, it was the correct target.