NEWS

Adept Ways

• 52 Replies

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« on: <01-31-16/2213:19> »
Since Ways cost the same during chargen and post chargen, do they count as a positive quality or are they like martial arts and not included in the positive qualities max?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1 on: <01-31-16/2230:56> »
The way they're described has me a little stumped as well. The beginning of the book makes them look like the Mage's Arts, meaning you'd have to undergo Initiation into one of the Ways. Initiation isn't allowed during CharGen, and most GMs are hesitant to house rule allowing it. So that would mean you have to wait for gameplay, and pay for it the same you would any other Initiation. But at that point, it's not a Quality or a Martial Art, it's just a thing you do (like the Mage Arts).

But later the book sells you Ways as 20 point Qualities. And I'm not seeing anything in there that would disallow purchasing them at CharGen. In fact, purchasing them post-CharGen would cost 40 points, which is far more than Initiations usually run.

So... I really wonder how they meant for Ways to be purchased. However, if you're using the Quality route, then yes it should be among your Qualities (which means you only have 5 left). Perhaps a reason to wait and buy the Way later through a 13 point Initiation instead?
« Last Edit: <01-31-16/2318:57> by Marcus Gideon »
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <01-31-16/2231:13> »
They do NOT count towards maximum positive qualities
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #3 on: <01-31-16/2234:01> »
Source? =)
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-16/2257:38> »
I believe the author said so ... Need to check up on that again.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #5 on: <02-01-16/0122:23> »
And some have claimed the Ways price doubles post character gen, which my group ignores cause about .75 PP refund and cheaper foci/similar effect is not worth 40 karma.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: <02-01-16/0147:38> »
I believe the author said so ... Need to check up on that again.

Yes I did, you are correct.   8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: <02-01-16/0152:03> »
And some have claimed the Ways price doubles post character gen, which my group ignores cause about .75 PP refund and cheaper foci/similar effect is not worth 40 karma.

They do not cost 40 post char gen, so you're doing it correctly.

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-01-16/0216:01> »
So do you need to have the Way "quality" to be able to Initiate into that particular school? Or is it totally unrelated?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-01-16/0236:08> »
You don't need the qualities to initiate.

Each adept without the qualities counts as following the Undecided Way and can choose the respective metamagics (powerpoints, adept centering, ...).

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-01-16/0250:16> »
I mean, do you need to have the quality to initiate into a way other than Undecided?

(actually, reading it again, it seems to be clear that the answer is yes. So much for reading comprehension.)
« Last Edit: <02-01-16/0251:52> by prionic6 »

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-01-16/0318:54> »
Each adept can only have metamagics/enhancements/... from one other way besides the Undecided Way. And only access to the Undecided Way comes for free.

adzling

« Reply #12 on: <02-01-16/1002:03> »
well that's a new one to me, that changes the equation dramatically on Biocompatibility, Burnout's Way and Prototype Transhuman....

adzling

« Reply #13 on: <02-01-16/1104:13> »
It's all about the Line Editor Marcus, it's his job to ensure consistency and accuracy.

The freelancers are working for a pittance and often only have visibility into the one tiny section of the book they are writing.
They have no editorial oversight afaik.

The Line Editor clearly been awol since the release of 5e and has basically fallen and not gotten up.

This is shown by this and many other easily caught editing fails as well as the year + delay in issuing any errata and the fact he's off writing Srun novels ffs instead of doing his job and you know, ensuring the accuracy, consistency and playability of Srun 5e.

This is 100% backed up by how the Line Editor for Battletech manages to get things right and issue errata in a timely manner.

I am astounded they have not replaced the Line Editor yet as he obviously is incompetent,

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-01-16/1253:42> »
It's all about the Line Editor Marcus, it's his job to ensure consistency and accuracy.

The freelancers are working for a pittance and often only have visibility into the one tiny section of the book they are writing.
They have no editorial oversight afaik.

The Line Editor clearly been awol since the release of 5e and has basically fallen and not gotten up.

This is shown by this and many other easily caught editing fails as well as the year + delay in issuing any errata and the fact he's off writing Srun novels ffs instead of doing his job and you know, ensuring the accuracy, consistency and playability of Srun 5e.

This is 100% backed up by how the Line Editor for Battletech manages to get things right and issue errata in a timely manner.

I am astounded they have not replaced the Line Editor yet as he obviously is incompetent,

Take a step back adzling. It's one thing to voice frustration and criticism, it's another to attack an individual.

Mod