NEWS

Large Smuggling Compartment

• 12 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <04-29-19/1407:37> »
What is the capacity of the Large Smuggling compartments for the cyber legs and cyber torso?

How many micro, mini, or even small drones could I fit in a compartment?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-29-19/1648:32> »
It's not defined. The Large Smuggling Compartment description says "think breadbox size as a guide" (p. 457, SR5) but it's up to the GM to interpret that.

This is actually relevant to one of my games right now. I believe I ruled 1 small drone could fit in a large smuggling compartment, although this was perhaps erring on the side of generosity. But, given the description of mini- and microdrones being the size of bugs, or eyeballs, it's easy to imagine dozens of these fitting into a large smuggling compartment. It probably comes down to what your GM has the patience for.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <04-29-19/1712:15> »
I always had a bit of trouble with that breadbox comparison.  To calibrate my thoughts on a breadbox I took to the internet, and it seems to conclude that a typical breadbox is around 8"*9"*16" ( or ~20 by 22 by 40 cm).  I can't imagine a spot on the ~human body that you could unobtrusively put a compartment that big without disrupting function.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-19/0025:15> »
Well use "a loaf of bread" for your comparison then, or a loaf pan that you would use to bake bread. Then you're closer to 9" x 6" x 3", which also seems like it would fit the heavy pistol from the description. That seems like something that could fit in a large compartment in a thigh or somewhere similar.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-30-19/0030:07> »
A Small drone is about the size of a cat or a Roomba.

Minidrones are about the size of a rat or 12 oz can of cola.

A microdrone is about the size of an eyeball or a big fat bumblebee.

A Small drone probably doesn't fit in a Large smuggling compartment unless built for it or specially-shaped.

You can essentially get a loaf of bread into a smuggling compartment, such as the leg or in the torso, while an arm is better for a smaller compartment.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <04-30-19/0127:28> »
IDK on the small Drone in a compartment, even a Large one.

I picture them as being the same size as those large RC Trucks & there is no way that is fitting in a chest easily let alone a thigh.

I feel like you need space for storage/launch rack so its not just shaking around or crammed in so tightly it breaks or can't be pulled out.

Like how a small compartment would need to hold the gun in a holster form ready to draw, similar to RoboCop's leg.

So, IMO...

Mini = Large Compartment

Micro = Standard Compartment.

Hmm, then again, isn't there some cyber thing for a Micro Drone to actually be in a cyber eye?   Is that the same space needed for a Standard Compartment?

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #6 on: <04-30-19/0545:39> »
Hmm, then again, isn't there some cyber thing for a Micro Drone to actually be in a cyber eye?   Is that the same space needed for a Standard Compartment?

That's what got me wondering about it.
How big is a noizsquito, how big is the smallest micro that can carry a small smoke canister, strobe light, or laser pointer? 
How many tiny diversions?  1 in each compartment, 2?  enough to cap the rating of my rcc?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Grizzly

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-01-19/1528:33> »
Large smuggling compartment is the same capacity (5) as the cyber holster, which can hold a heavy pistol with some sort of 'pop-out' framework and actuators (ala Robocop), but it lacks the 'pop-out' features due to it taking a complex action to access the gear stored in it.

So if the drone is about the same size as a heavy pistol you might be fine, but it would lack the 'pop-out' feature as you still have to manually access the drone to get it out of the smuggling compartment.

If you wanted the drone to be more easily accessible and be able to launch itself, you could do that using the cyber-holster as a frame-work, but it wouldn't be as hidden as a smuggling compartment.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-14-19/2234:20> »
Obviously this is going to have to come down to GM decision, but...

The issue I see is that you have to remember that even when a cyber-limb has a smuggling compartment (of any size), the limb still needs to function. This would significantly reduce the reasonable size of the compartment and it would clearly depend on the race of the owner. Where in your leg could you fit a whole loaf of bread without removing important muscles, tendons, bones, etc? The theory here I suppose is that the cyber equivalents could/would be smaller, but you still need "stuff" in there for your limbs to work, and the location of said "stuff" is probably also important (ie - cables need to allow the proper direction and freedom of movement).
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-15-19/0846:00> »
I assume you can fit 3 bottles of cola into the torso one.

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <05-26-19/2310:27> »
20 oz or 1 Liter?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-29-19/0949:54> »
20 oz or 1 Liter?

12 oz pre time skip. 20oz post.

One Piece reference. Frankie the cyborg has a mini fridge in his stomach that he has colas in because he is cola  powered.

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-29-19/2016:10> »
20 oz or 1 Liter?

12 oz pre time skip. 20oz post.

One Piece reference. Frankie the cyborg has a mini fridge in his stomach that he has colas in because he is cola  powered.
Apparently that would be three 2 liters pre-time skip and more bottles (additional adjacent compartments?) after.