NEWS

Ghostwalker's Attacks in Denver

• 36 Replies

raben-aas

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <06-01-11/0930:10> »
On the other hand, if someone just SHOT my little brother, I MIGHT be acting a little less cocky after just emerging from faerieland...
-+-+-+-+-
Visit my Deviantart gallery: http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/gallery/
And my German SR website with lots of equipment: http://www.raben-aas.de/

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <06-01-11/0942:36> »
On the other hand, if someone just SHOT my little brother, I MIGHT be acting a little less cocky after just emerging from faerieland...
Or you'd be "out looking for revenge against the people that killed his brother!" <queue movie trailer>

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-01-11/1023:18> »
Speak for yourself. Most people's fantasy self would wreak a terrible vengeance that makes the Revelation to St. John look tame.

raben-aas

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <06-01-11/1103:00> »
Yeah, but imagine that most people (or dragons that act like most people would act) die much earlier, long before becoming a Great Dragon. That's basically the same problem with Vampire Elders in LARPs: These guys survived hundreds of years, then suddenly they are played by a "most people" kinda guy, act stupid and headstrong and get killed.

Sure, GD's are powerful. But they didn't become GD's by acting like adolescent little punks.
-+-+-+-+-
Visit my Deviantart gallery: http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/gallery/
And my German SR website with lots of equipment: http://www.raben-aas.de/

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <06-01-11/1110:07> »

Except that your little brother just shot himself, and had a nice long chat with you about it.

Also, there's no telling what sort of resources Big D may have set him up with before this happened. It's possible those Thor satellites were all suffering "technical difficulties" at the time.

Basically, dragons are plot points, especially when it comes to canon fluff. To expect them to act differently is a little too much suspension of disbelief IMO.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <06-01-11/1240:54> »
Start tossing WMD's (Which I include pissed off Great Dragons in that group, look at Tehran) around, and we stop playing Shadowrun and start playing Fallout with Magic.  :P

Also, Harlequin's Return...  Hint-hint.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

zend0g

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <06-01-11/2044:12> »
Somehow I think dragons are intelligent enough to realize that awakening after 7000 years have passed that times might have changed a little. Unfortunately human writers, without the advantage of draconic intelligence, have them rampaging around like mini-Godzilla's.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <06-01-11/2116:37> »
I personally blame it on listening to too much Blue Oyster Cult.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #23 on: <06-01-11/2146:15> »
 :-\ Ugh, I haven't played Metal Gear Solid in years, and it still hits me.  GW?  There's a reason none of the WMDs were launched, and that is because Ghostwalker is an AI who controls the WMD arsenal, among other things.

...scissors 61.
« Last Edit: <06-01-11/2154:36> by Rockopolis »
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <06-01-11/2152:01> »
Don't make me pull out my discussion about the RAID-Infinity AI made up of Munitions RFID tags and centralized around a Nukes Targeting System.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <06-02-11/0838:42> »
Well, unlike other systems, Shadowrun and Earthdawn have gone out of thier way to make the Dragons of the setting to Quote Mike Pondsmith: "Used to kill big things and frighten small children." They are deliberately designed to be made exceptionally difficult to kill even with the advent of Thor Shots and other hi-tech arms.

The Therans had actually more destrictive capacity thatn Earth 2070 (tho nukes come very close) and they got whupped by the draconic alliance back in the old days. And the dragons awakening have caught on to the practical uses of tech very quickly. And are smart enough to figure out counters to it. And the corps know it.

Picking a fight with a Great is never a good idea. Picking a fight with all of them is suicide. And considering corporations still mostly operate by the bottom line in SR, better to negotiate over the long run.

Ghostwalker decided to make an example of a corp that in the shadows made a habit of being professionally unpleasant. I truely doubt any of them were crying into thier bier over that.
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-02-11/1202:28> »
I always read that Thera was super powerful, but fucking nukes ARE part of the equation. And that equation includes the fact that Barsaive/Ukraine could be turned to ash several times over.

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <06-02-11/1221:38> »
I always read that Thera was super powerful, but fucking nukes ARE part of the equation. And that equation includes the fact that Barsaive/Ukraine could be turned to ash several times over.

Assuming the manasphere lets you set the nuke off. Now that the earth itself is alive and making some of these decisions, nukes are no longer a very good idea. What if you drop a nuke on GW's head and it bounces off? Now you've shown your hand and realized that deuces aren't wild so all you've got is a pair.

Meanwhile he's still a fraggin' dragon and he can read the giant UCAS on the side of that missile. Suddenly instead of rampaging through Denver he's rampaging through the president's front yard.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #28 on: <06-02-11/1224:22> »
wasnt there some weakness mentioned in Spy games?
I didnt finished reading...in fact Ill get just a brief look, but this catches my eye...

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <06-02-11/1416:14> »
not that I saw, but am Still reading through it.

If not.

Welcome to not being the top of the food chain anymore
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night