NEWS

Shifter

• 9 Replies

BigSexy

• Newb
« on: <10-15-16/2325:40> »
Human Stat Maximums- May be Awakened but not Emerged.

In place of +1 Edge, +1 Skill:

Shift, WILL+WILL test to change form. Starts as an Easy Test but raises in level in areas with Background counts. Failure just means the change took particularly long and its the only thing you can do for that narration unless you use a plot point.

Enhanced Senses critter power.

In animal form, Natural Attack critter power.

All essence cost for bioware and cyberware doubled (to represent difficulty of getting implants that don't get rejected while shifting).

Additional negative quality: Allergy to Silver.

What do you think guys?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #1 on: <10-16-16/1032:13> »
That didn't take long.... ;)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

BigSexy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-16/1955:43> »
Someone wanted to play a Wolf changling and I misread it and thought he meant a Wolf Shifter...

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-17-16/1054:56> »
Build the character as normal and add whatever Shifter powers as Shadow Amps?  Essentially treat them as "Adept Powers" with a base cost of 1 and carry on.  Shadow Amps have the same mechanical cost no matter what, describe them in any way the player wants to. 

Just the basic "Shift" power would cost 1.  You can shift into an animal shape with no mechanical changes.  If your animal form has some extra dice for some things, or has a Natural Attack just build let the player stack all the mechanical benefits into the one Amp.

Shadow Amp Shift - Can Change into Animal, has a Natural attack with +2 damage, and runs fast (gets an extra move action), or whatever your player wants.   All can be built with standard Shadow Amp rules, easy-peasy, even Regeneration is essentially just a heal spell.  AFB so I can't spell out the cost, but you get the idea.

And keep in mind Anarchy isn't detailing things down to the quarter second so the tactical issues Shifters face in 5th edition just don't apply in Anarchy.  You want to Shift/Maul/Shift back all in your Narration, you typically can. 

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-17-16/1217:13> »
Agreed with Shadow Amps being the fix-all for Shifters and Changelings.  If you want something to replace the human +1 Skill, +1 Edge, perhaps give them Awakened. That's about even and it takes care of the Essence issue if you consider the shifter powers magical (ie. Penalties to Magic/Heals for having cyberware.)
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #5 on: <10-17-16/1743:44> »
Giving them Awakened for free would probably be my solution.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-18-16/1012:08> »
Yeah, Adepts and Mages are "free" I don't see why Shifter or Infected or Free Spirit or AI or whatever wouldn't be as well.  Just so long as you can create a Shadow Amp for whatever cool stuff you want to do.

Ok, AI maybe not.  But the rest should be doable.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-08-17/1029:15> »
First remark, Adepts and Mages are not free.
Quote from: Anarchy, p. 63
If you want access to either of these areas (but not both—characters cannot be both Awakened and Emerged), you have to select that option in this step and pay the cost. Check either the Awakened or Emerged box on your character sheet, and deduct 2 Shadow Amp points (see step 7)
Which is a poorly written rule, I opened a thread about it Shifter amp: 2 points
[/b]
  • capability to shift at will between animal and metahuman form (that may be impaired by background count)
  • Natural weapon in animal form (STR/2+3)P
  • Inability to receive any cyberware / bioware
  • Vulnerability to Silver (or other depending on animal) (+2 damage)
  • Dual natured
  • Uneducated (cannot default on Logic based skills, narration aid)
  • Improved senses in animal form (animal dependant)

Optional upgrades:
  • Regeneration in animal form: +1 per point (max 3): identical to critter power, but with levels
  • Attribute modifiers in animal form: +1 per (+1/-1) (max 3): for example Strength+1 / Logic-1 in animal form
  • Access to augmented senses in metahuman form: +1
  • Remove uneducated: +1

Edit: feedbacks from Pap Renvela taken into account
« Last Edit: <03-09-17/0444:58> by Carmody »
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-08-17/1611:34> »
Natural Weapon critter power is (STR/2+3)... don't see a reason why shifter would be worse unless you are going to start differentiating between types.

Shifters have always been able to except delta grade cyberware/bioware.
The caveat being, it only works in animal form.
However, going no cyberwar/bioware whatsoever is probably the way to go.

Vunerability to silver w/the exception of Leonine shifters (gold).
Beats me why they're different but it's how it has always been.

I'd leave out the dual natured.
Forces the shifter to always be a mage to defend himself from astral combat.

Regenration should work just like the critter power.
They should start with this because a)2 shadow amps just to be a shifter, b)their allergy should never go away, d0they can't use bioware nor cyber ware and d)they should have to pay to be awakened just like everyone else since SR lore has most of them not being mages/adepts.

Of course everything above should have IMHO after it.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-08-17/1730:06> »

Thanks for those feedbacks, I will answer point by point

Quote from: Pap Renvela
Natural Weapon critter power is (STR/2+3)... don't see a reason why shifter would be worse unless you are going to start differentiating between types.
Makes sense, I overlooked this --> STR/2+3 it is

Shifters have always been able to except delta grade cyberware/bioware.
The caveat being, it only works in animal form.
However, going no cyberwar/bioware whatsoever is probably the way to go.
Yeah, there is no alpha, beta, delta in Anarchy + I never liked this Delta only stuff. I still do not understand how a delta cyber leg would do any good to a shifter  :o

Vunerability to silver w/the exception of Leonine shifters (gold).
Beats me why they're different but it's how it has always been.
Sure

I'd leave out the dual natured.
Forces the shifter to always be a mage to defend himself from astral combat.
I disagree on the "all shifters are mage"
But the main issue is that I just do not like the "2 shadow amps points to be awakened" rule, with zero detail given to what the effect is (apart from having access to magical amps, even that is not properly worded if I remember well).
I think I will just replace this with a "Astral access" amp (level 1 astral perception, level 2 astral projection)

Regenration should work just like the critter power.
That was the idea, but with levels (basically the critter power is simply the level 2 of my proposal

They should start with this because a)2 shadow amps just to be a shifter, b)their allergy should never go away, d0they can't use bioware nor cyber ware and d)they should have to pay to be awakened just like everyone else since SR lore has most of them not being mages/adepts.
I understand your point, but will stick to the extra cost for regeneration, I think the benefit vs drawbacks justify the cost.
On the other hand you are right about the allergy

Of course everything above should have IMHO after it.
That was very well understood  :)
« Last Edit: <03-09-17/0445:34> by Carmody »
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.