NEWS

Snow Lily - Classic Physical Adept for Season 9 Missions

• 12 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« on: <10-01-18/1826:40> »
...second attempt for a Season 9 Missions character. 

Went a bit back back to the roots of my namesake character, Kyoto Kid, when she was a "classic" physical adept in 1E and when she was still in Japan.  As she has always been albino (didn't get karma for that until 5E) she had a nickname given her by the Kyoto Dojo master of "Snow Lily".  I decided to keep that name as she didn't take the KK moniker until after the "A Fist Full Of Karma" segment in the Harlequin's Back arc.

I used the following Priorities:

A: Attributes (24)
B: Adept
C: Skills (28 general/2 skill group)
D: Resources (50,000 +6,000 from Karma).
E: Metatype (Human +1 special atribute point)

All gear comes under the Maximums for Rating (6) and Availability (12).

Still looking for one additional knowledge skill that would relate to being in Neo Tokyo and fit with her background.

Be sure to check "open with" on the download dialogue.

« Last Edit: <10-01-18/1849:35> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-18/1954:31> »
For a sword using Decker I went with the Knowledge skills of Swordsmiths w/ a spec in Modern and Kenjutsu spec in Nitōjutsu. 

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-18/2302:09> »
...I thought of Blade Design/Making however, that is a professional skill and as you can see the character is a bit lacking in the Logic department (hence the rating of 2) which is based on her backstory, (the part I did not go into detail on as it is deeply tragic).

Her Sensei contact is a Kenjutsu master, so swordsmithing knowledge would be a logical choice.

Trying to think of something that would help more with legwork but just coming up with a blank.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-06-18/0948:39> »
Ah, sorry, I used Swordsmith as "Knowlege of Swordsmiths (Modern)".  Interest skill, therefore Intuition.  Basically the character knew who crafted the a blade, or could recognize mass produced items and all that.  "Oh, that's a real Watan!" Kind of thing. 

Total fluff, but kept me amused.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #4 on: <10-10-18/1746:57> »
...from what I have experienced of season 9 so far, it appears having knowledge skills that assist with legwork as well as preventing a social faux pas seem to be the most important. 

Twice now her Bushido Philosophy skill (which last season would have been a "fluff" skill) came into play in determining the proper course of action to take. 

Unlike Chicago, it seems surviving in Neo Tokyo seems a bit more contingent on roleplay.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-10-18/2022:58> »
...from what I have experienced of season 9 so far, it appears having knowledge skills that assist with legwork as well as preventing a social faux pas seem to be the most important. 

Twice now her Bushido Philosophy skill (which last season would have been a "fluff" skill) came into play in determining the proper course of action to take. 

Unlike Chicago, it seems surviving in Neo Tokyo seems a bit more contingent on roleplay.

Neo-Tokyo is very much less of a "shoot first, ask question later" kind of setting than Chicago was.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <10-21-18/1315:39> »
...which the design of this character totally fits in with.  She would have a very rough time in Chicago or even any of the Season 9 CMPs as they take place in locations where guns and "shoot first" is pretty much the norm.

The only time she'd draw her WF would be if it was absolutely necessary (like if a spirit pops in).  Otherwise she uses her pistol crossbow with Static Shaft S&S bolts (found they were more effective than injector bolts and cost half as much) or unarmed attack using Shock Gloves. Would love to get elemental strike but that means also needing Killing Hands, and putting people down with stun attacks tends to go over much better.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-18/0905:42> »
The Killing Hands power does give you the option of doing stun damage.  To me, its main advantage (over a cheap pair of nuks) is that it lets you negate the Regeneration and Immunity to Normal Weapons powers.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #8 on: <12-26-18/1713:58> »
...I know about the bypassing immunity, but who in their right mind would punch an infected opponent, or a fire or toxic spirit with their bare hands? 

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-26-18/1823:13> »
...I know about the bypassing immunity, but who in their right mind would punch an infected opponent, or a fire or toxic spirit with their bare hands?

A genuine bad ass.  That's who.  : )

Or, someone with boots.  Killing Hands, is also Killing Elbows, Killing Feet, Killing Headbut.... ect.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #10 on: <12-26-18/1838:56> »
...one mission we dealt with a nuclear spirit even boots or gloves won't protect against that.  Also does it transmit through worn items? I thought it had to be direct physical contact.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-26-18/1925:25> »
Heh, there's also no provision for the magical energy involved in Killing Hands to ignore the clothing/gear you might have in the way of your kick/knee/elbow smash.

"Woo! Kicked him to death! Obliterated the sole of my boot too... anyone got a spare pair?"
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-26-18/2202:42> »
...one mission we dealt with a nuclear spirit even boots or gloves won't protect against that.  Also does it transmit through worn items? I thought it had to be direct physical contact.

Mechanically Killing Hands lets you choose between Stun or Physical, attack Astral beings, and do Magic Damage.  No rules otherwise.  Fluff it however you'd like.  Blown out flip flops are certainly a possibility, or not, totally a table thing.  RAW it works just fine with things like Knucks and such.

And RAW using a Sword doesn't stop Energy Aura from doing damage back.  Any successful melee attack against a critter with the Energy Aura power (like Fire Elementals or Nuclear Spirits...) does damage to the attacker.  GM Mileage May Vary and all that.  I could see letting Reach weapons be an exception.