NEWS

Wirless bonus

• 76 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #15 on: <02-13-14/2136:08> »
I'm interested in seeing how Run & Gun will handle them, because I'm certain a large amount of the gear it will add will have wireless bonuses.  Personally, while a lot of them seem like they just were forced to come up with something for them to do, a lot of it makes some amount of sense.  The rules only start to really fall apart when you get into Aaron's ruling (or just RAW) about how noise works...  But a houserule to separate "noise that is just static" and "noise that is designed to jam wireless" makes that whole thing work more smoothly, preventing someone with an implanted commlink from making a phone call while wearing a headjammer in a submarine, but also making it so downtown Seattle doesn't perpetually jam all of the wireless residential security in the area just by existing.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-13-14/2141:21> »
Nah, he'd still have the supplies, he simply wouldn't get a dicepool bonus from it.

Nor the limit bonus.

Overall, though, I like the bonuses conceptually, and I'd suggest trying the game with them as is before making modifications because it does better integrate the Matrix side of the game into everything.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-13-14/2149:02> »
I plan on using at least some of them at the start at least. If my players dont like the idea it will get nixed or altered. I like the idea but am curious about the execution.

Your call.

It still would have been better if all the gear functioned exactly as it did before with the wireless bonus being something extra above and beyond that instead of shunting what should be part of its basic functionality over to being the wireless bonus.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-13-14/2150:38> »
I plan on using at least some of them at the start at least. If my players dont like the idea it will get nixed or altered. I like the idea but am curious about the execution.

Your call.

It still would have been better if all the gear functioned exactly as it did before with the wireless bonus being something extra above and beyond that instead of shunting what should be part of its basic functionality over to being the wireless bonus.

Well, restoring the old functionality with the wireless bonus was a bad plan.  But the old functionality was going either way.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <02-14-14/0301:49> »
Taking away wireless bonuses reduces the functionality of deckers, doesn't it?

Triskavanski

« Reply #20 on: <02-14-14/0313:50> »
If one was to remove wrieless bonuses, would that mean everything is always in wireless mode or that there isn't any reason to be in wireless mode?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-14-14/0319:33> »

According to some, but their core function would remain. The only difference would be that they (like everyone else except magicians) would actually have to take actual combat skills to do combat--which they rightly should. Want to be good in a particular area? Take the skills actually related to it.
Oh, and even without the combat skills, they can still try to contribute, but they're going to suck at it because of the conscious decision not to invest in the skills--as they should.
« Last Edit: <02-14-14/0343:32> by All4BigGuns »

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-14-14/0343:06> »

According to some, but their core function would remain. The only difference would be that they (like everyone else except magicians) would actually have to take actual combat skills to do combat--which they rightly should. Want to be good in a particular area? Take the skills actually related to it.

I disagree, I like the idea of combat decking, which is something that they actually have to specialize and have a proper plan in order to do it effectively, taking that away makes players who want to play deckers have to run their side mission again.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-14-14/0345:19> »

I disagree, I like the idea of combat decking, which is something that they actually have to specialize and have a proper plan in order to do it effectively, taking that away makes players who want to play deckers have to run their side mission again.

With Wireless Bonuses:
Take Cybercombat 4
Use Cybercombat to shut down (brick) Street Samurai's Wired Reflexes
You are now faster than Street Sam and can shut down his attribute boost implant before he can do much of anything.
Street Sam falls.

Even if the Street Sam survives, logic dictates that he would then have to blow almost all his pay getting surgery to have the bricked implant repaired.
« Last Edit: <02-14-14/0348:05> by All4BigGuns »

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-14-14/0421:44> »
Wasn't it said that bricked ware can be repaired by a Hardware test? And that it did not require surgery?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <02-14-14/0430:30> »
Wasn't it said that bricked ware can be repaired by a Hardware test? And that it did not require surgery?

People assume that it doesn't, but there is no logical reason for it not to (aside from it proving that the wireless bonus idea is a decent concept that was poorly thought out in application). There is no way that someone is just going to be able to sit down and tinker with an implant inside their body (or have someone else do it) without entering surgically.
« Last Edit: <02-14-14/0432:01> by All4BigGuns »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-14-14/0455:18> »

People assume that it doesn't, but there is no logical reason for it not to (aside from it proving that the wireless bonus idea is a decent concept that was poorly thought out in application). There is no way that someone is just going to be able to sit down and tinker with an implant inside their body (or have someone else do it) without entering surgically.

It's not an assumption,  it's a FAQ answer.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <02-14-14/0600:27> »

It's not an assumption,  it's a FAQ answer.

Yes! Thanks. That's what I was referring to with the phrasing "was said". It's also 'logical' for implants to have the necessary hardware interfaces etc in easy to reach places. Why wouldn't they be made to be user-friendly? And apparently you can only brick those interfaces - which still completely disables the implant - so you need to repair - recalibrate those.

It could be argued back and forth who thinks what of this but this seems to be the developer intent. Each and every piece of gear and rule could be debated along the lines of "that's not how I think it would work!" and that's fine, I do it too. It's houseruling. And it's cool.
But right now bricking ware isn't that drastic by the original rules.

Do you All4BigGuns think that since wireless bonuses are so strong, bricking should be more drastic? I don't agree with either but I can definitely see the logic behind it - ie. the reason for tying the two issues together.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <02-14-14/0643:44> »
Somewhat, yes, but I don't like the idea of "hey let's make sure Deckers can trash around more" in this way to begin with. I'd have preferred more detailed spoofing rules.

Anyway, a hacker can still shut down any gear if they just score some marks BEFORE combat starts. And honestly, that's how it's supposed to be. Combat doesn't just randomly start out of the blue, the hacker can constantly look for commlinks, put marks on a few, Trace the Icons and get a headstart hacking the comms before combat start. Then when drek hits the fan, he can start giving reboot and eject-clip commands. And if that Smartlink is in Cybereyes, they can even make someone blind.

They can also just brick the gear/ware and shut someone down for the fight. Smartgun? Brick it, bam, their weapon is gone. Cybereyes? Go blind mofo! It's not as if most people run wires, they're still using wireless master/slaving.

And yes, the dicepool modifier was going to be gone anyway. Bringing it back as wireless bonus is what I object to, it should have stayed gone. There's already several wireless smartgun benefits, such as Free Action ChangeMode/EjectClip and the Wind reduction.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <02-14-14/0810:13> »
I think if i house rule that trauma patches dont auto heal, the hackers aren't going to loose any inherent power.
Just because it has stats, Doesn't mean you can kill it