NEWS

Shadowrun, Sixth World Developer's Notes

• 38 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-16-19/1310:48> »

We will have to see.  If it is down to 19 skills you may only need 2-3 skills to have a fleshed out character, making any focus on skills pointless. The core mechanic of attribute+skill will most likely always make attributes the far better option in focus.

'Runners will always need Perception, Sneaking, and moderate levels of lying and blending in.  Most will want some level of Climbing, Driving and probably a legwork skill.  Then whatever skills they need to do whatever it is they actually do. 

In 5e a single point of Logic, Charisma or Agility was worth many, many skill points.  By cutting down on the number of skills each individual skill point becomes much more valuable.  Which is probably a good thing, we'll have to see the CRB and look at the maths...

well here is teaser for you then ...
Sixth World Priority A is 24 attribute points and 32 skill points
5E is 24 attribute and 46/10 for skills

So total Newb stumbling into Skills A trap, probably winds up with 2 to 6 points in about 8 mundane skills.  Bunch of 3s and 4s for stats.  C for gear gets them a splash of this and that.  Still an unspecialized train wreck that will wind up with minimal contributions at most tables, but could be tweaked up to 12 dice in 3 or 4 useful things by shuffling a few attribute points around.

Attributes A still looks like a "Better" investment, but Skills A will do a much better job of doing what most players want with 32 points to split up among 19 skills. 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <05-16-19/1315:11> »
Not that you need all of those 19 skills. =P No need for the mechanics stuff, driving you can just buy 1 point with karma, who cares about hacking, magic's out...

32 sounds a lot like 46/2+10. :)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-16-19/1319:48> »
And to repeat what Banshee said earlier, the Attribute priority gets some outside help from the Metatype priority granting 6e's version of "Special Attribute Points" on some regular attributes, not just Edge/Magic/Resonance.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-16-19/1333:32> »
I’m kind of interested to see if there was much of any change to what attributes pair with which skills. 19 skills. A handful taken out for magic etc. less than 16 spread over 8 attributes. If strength doesn’t effect melee damage as some people think. Is it worth it for maybe 1 skill?  Now if strength was the die pool for melee and athletics it is important for some builds.

If it’s a roughly even spread of skill number and value. Like 2 per attribute. 1 for body/will. How will that effect build priority.  And for attributes that just are for skills but only boost 2 skills are they that valuable.

Lot a possible differences from what we know.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-16-19/1334:54> »
And to repeat what Banshee said earlier, the Attribute priority gets some outside help from the Metatype priority granting 6e's version of "Special Attribute Points" on some regular attributes, not just Edge/Magic/Resonance.

As I understand it for non humans yes. For humans I’m not seeing a mechanical reason to play one from what has been explained so far.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-16-19/1337:49> »
As I understand it for non humans yes. For humans I’m not seeing a mechanical reason to play one from what has been explained so far.

Well, with Edge being more important than ever before... I doubt Humans are going to be obsolete at 6E tables....
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-16-19/1346:06> »

Well, with Edge being more important than ever before... I doubt Humans are going to be obsolete at 6E tables....

Mathematically I suspect the opposite.

Max edge is 7. You can get a edge for having a big gun. Why ever start higher than 6?  Humans big advantage is basically useless since you gain 1-2 a turn and it caps at their increased cap.

Also I suspect having a high edge attribute is less important this edition. There were edge builds in 4/5e because it was so useful and powerful. Now it seems like something you will use a lot due to the constant regeneration of it but it seems pretty minor overall. 

Unless there is some big high edge move only humans have access to access to 7 edge seem pretty pointless.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <05-16-19/1404:21> »
It's the difference between slinging edge out of the gates and then getting it back... and waiting to build up edge to then start spending it.

Edit:  I'm not sure the point I was trying to make is getting across.  It's not about 7 vs 6 edge.  It's about humans having nothing but edge (or magic/resonance, if you swing that way) to spend those special points on, whereas metahumans will see other attributes competing for those "edge" attribute points.  It's about 5 or 6 edge humans still being relevant when the metahumans with better stats are rolling with 2 or 3 edge.
« Last Edit: <05-16-19/1410:28> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <05-16-19/1426:41> »
It's the difference between slinging edge out of the gates and then getting it back... and waiting to build up edge to then start spending it.

Edit:  I'm not sure the point I was trying to make is getting across.  It's not about 7 vs 6 edge.  It's about humans having nothing but edge (or magic/resonance, if you swing that way) to spend those special points on, whereas metahumans will see other attributes competing for those "edge" attribute points.  It's about 5 or 6 edge humans still being relevant when the metahumans with better stats are rolling with 2 or 3 edge.

As I understand it, nothing is stopping the troll from putting his points into edge first. Having less options isn’t a perk. If they gave humans a floating attribute to +1 max or something it might be a draw. Having less to spend points on isn’t. Maybe they get a crap ton more special attribute points or something so can max edge and magic/resonance at a low human level. But so far it seems there is no reason to play one mechanically.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <05-16-19/1440:41> »
As I understand it, nothing is stopping the troll from putting his points into edge first.

Nothing's stopping it, but whatever points you put in Edge are not going into buffing Strength/Body.  if you build a troll with human-like stats, you have a troll with human-like stats.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-16-19/1624:03> »

Just a guess but humans probably get more "Points" to spend for the same priority.  i.e.  Priority E gets you any Metatype but 0 Points except for Humans getting 1.  All the other Metatypes would have low-light vision or whatever Metatype bonuses they get.  Something along those lines. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <05-16-19/1633:42> »

Just a guess but humans probably get more "Points" to spend for the same priority.  i.e.  Priority E gets you any Metatype but 0 Points except for Humans getting 1.  All the other Metatypes would have low-light vision or whatever Metatype bonuses they get.  Something along those lines.
If not, that may become my SR6 houserule #2. (#1 being if only 5 Minors max, that that will be 6)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <05-16-19/1645:51> »

I thought about that. But it would have to be pretty significant to lose out on multiple stats that effectively have multiple exceptional attribute edges and minor perks like vision enhancements.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <05-16-19/1705:49> »
In general Players and Game Developers view points now as being better than points later.  Even in 5e Trolls were the best Metatype for the long term, but easily the rarest Metatype I ever saw at a table. 

In this case the math only needs to be vaguely close so personal choice of your characters Metatype can take precedence.  5e the Maths were too far off IMO. 

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-16-19/1718:03> »
Derailing things slightly, I'd like to say that while I appreciated Jason Hardy's developer notes, they told me precisely nothing that I hadn't already heard from other channels or sources.

Banshee, on the other hand, is telling us all sorts of things that we didn't otherwise know as we all clamor for details.

@Banshee Thank you for taking part in the conversation to the extent that your NDA allows. I very much appreciate the time and effort of your outreach and I bet the others feel the same as well. You are the true developer's notes!