NEWS

The Dresden Files

• 51 Replies

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #15 on: <03-18-12/2216:21> »
I just finished watching the TV show on Netflix -- got a few episodes in before I saw that it was based on novels.  I thought the show was pretty good (stand-alone, not comparing to books because I didn't even know there were books...) and now of course I'm interested in finding the books :)

I used episode 4 (I think -- "New Blood"?) of the TV show as inspiration for a run last weekend and it worked pretty well...might write it up.  (it doesn't resemble the TV episode as much anymore -- only as inspiration, the investigation was not occult at all, I actually used it as an introduction to cybermancy in a roundabout way though the players don't know it yet...).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <03-18-12/2331:07> »
I'll admit, I'm partially upset that there was a hockey stick and no hockey involved.

Actually, honestly, was the budget so cheap they had to use a hockey stick and drum stick for a staff and wand???
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <03-19-12/0701:42> »
I dunno. I liked the fact that he had a hockey stick for a staff. It makes more sense for an urban wizard, who still would like to keep from announcing to the world that "Look, magic is real, and there's a drek-load of nasty things that go bump in the night that you might want to watch out for!"
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

SeriousOne338

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-19-12/1204:36> »
I dunno. I liked the fact that he had a hockey stick for a staff. It makes more sense for an urban wizard, who still would like to keep from announcing to the world that "Look, magic is real, and there's a drek-load of nasty things that go bump in the night that you might want to watch out for!"

But when you read the books Dresden does announce to the world he's a wizard and there is such a thing as magic, he even in the yellow pages under wizard. The real world just refuses to believe in the weirdness.
Colors: Speech, Thought, Matrix
Character:
Dos.Boot http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=7368.15

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-19-12/1407:27> »
There's saying you're a wizard in the yellow pages, and then there's walking down the street looking like someone out of The Lord of the Rings, Serious.

My Characters

SeriousOne338

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-19-12/1426:17> »
I am not trying to sound rude, but have to read the books or did you just watch the TV show?

He walks down the street when he'd on the job with a staff and wand, wearing a Black leather mantled duster, cowboy boots, and I think he has a hate.... need to reread some of the newer stuff.
Colors: Speech, Thought, Matrix
Character:
Dos.Boot http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=7368.15

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <03-19-12/1524:49> »
There's saying you're a wizard in the yellow pages, and then there's walking down the street looking like someone out of The Lord of the Rings, Serious.
Actually, he looks like he just came off the set of El Dorado, even with the "Ozark Mountain Folk Art Walking Stick" (AKA:  Staff.).  ;)  He hides the wand in his duster, along with a multitude of other magical gee-gaws.

The rings just look like really weird rings, although if it wasn't for friends on the police force, some overzealous cop might try to bust him for wearing knuckledusters.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-19-12/1525:54> »
TV shows are free. Books cost money. So yeah, only seen the show.

My Characters

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #23 on: <03-19-12/1606:57> »
But when you read the books Dresden does announce to the world he's a wizard and there is such a thing as magic, he even in the yellow pages under wizard. The real world just refuses to believe in the weirdness.

In the TV series, he is found in the yellow pages by at least one "johnson" and he has 'wizard' in both the ad and on his storefront door.

However, it's one thing to say you're a wizard, and another to dress in robes with an ornate staff & wand.  I thought it was really kitch to have the hockey stick & drumstick -- I was waiting for an explanation but then the series ended abruptly.  My guess is that after the business with his uncle, he really wasn't looking for anything expensive & showy.  When they flashbacked to his earlier days, I don't recall him using either the hockey stick or the drum stick -- They show him learning with Bob, and his final encounter with his uncle, but no wands or staves.

In the TV show he fled after killing his uncle, so he may literally have been a refugee when he picked those up.  He had come back from a hiatus around the world, so he hadn't been in the mansion for a while, found the voodoo doll that was used to kill his father, confronted his uncle, his uncle died, and he fled.  He wasn't exactly packing a bag...  Then later he says he hadn't been to that mansion in 5 years when confronted with the fact that he could be living there.  If his more fancy/ornate stuff was there, he wasn't fetching it...

Maybe the vampire babe who harbored him pulled them out of her bag of tricks and he ended up liking them?  She owned a club -- so that might explain him lifting a drumstick out of some musician's bag or something....

I am not saying the TV show is better than the books, and for all intents and purposes they could be two nearly-completely-different things that share a title.  I haven't read the books.  I figure I'll see if the library has them.  However in the TV-universe, the hockey stick & drumstick make sense given the character's impoverishment and such.  But I wonder where he got the lab and stuff.  He must have gone back to the mansion and took things -- oh yeah, he had at least burned one of his uncle's books at some point (mentioned by Bob).  So he went back -- he got Bob, too!  Hrm.  Must have a thing for hokey props.  Sure makes it much less expensive on the show set...shows nowadays don't have much budget for special effects, and this one chewed up a good bit of cash on that...it's no wonder they didn't renew it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <03-19-12/1831:27> »
Yeah, because Hockey Sticks are cheaper than some branch you pulled off a tree and carved yourself into a walking stick or a wand.  :P

It fits if you're trying to blend in with the universe.  It doesn't if you're advertizing "Wizard".

Also, why the hell did he have a jeep?  Was a beat-up VW Bug too expensive for the Props department?  And what happened with Murphy, where is she?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #25 on: <03-19-12/1926:10> »
Yeah, because Hockey Sticks are cheaper than some branch you pulled off a tree and carved yourself into a walking stick or a wand.  :P

It fits if you're trying to blend in with the universe.  It doesn't if you're advertizing "Wizard".

Also, why the hell did he have a jeep?  Was a beat-up VW Bug too expensive for the Props department?  And what happened with Murphy, where is she?

Lieutenant Murphy is in most of the episodes.  Glad to hear she's in the books.

The hockey stick wasn't carved, but it did have glowy runes in it whenever he did big magic (more of those expensive special effects I mentioned...or just invisible ink & blacklight ;) ).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #26 on: <03-19-12/1959:24> »

That, at least, has a good explanation, Ray. Turns out there's a real Karrin Murphy working with the CPD, so they changed her name to Connie Murphy in the series to avoid the inevitable trouble.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #27 on: <03-19-12/2352:10> »
Sorry, where's the Murphy that's an Irish Cop and when did she turn Hispanic?

Why is Ancient Mai...  I have no idea what the hell they did with Ancient Mai!

And why didn't we get to see the parking lot that Dresden magiced up in...  Bah, never mind, I give up.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-20-12/1318:03> »
Also, why the hell did he have a jeep?  Was a beat-up VW Bug too expensive for the Props department?

Ease of filming. Same reason his lab was a much brighter place than what was portrayed in the novels, it's easier to shoot light than dark.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Cranstonvm

• Chummer
  • Dragons everywhere!!!
« Reply #29 on: <03-21-12/0030:54> »
Also, why the hell did he have a jeep?  Was a beat-up VW Bug too expensive for the Props department?

Ease of filming. Same reason his lab was a much brighter place than what was portrayed in the novels, it's easier to shoot light than dark.

I assumed he had a Jeep because it was about as low tech as you could get and because it was rugged. That way his anti-techness couldn't screw it up much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

International Dieselpunk day November 12th http://www.dieselpunks.org/ for more information!