NEWS

Shadowrun-esque Anime and Movies?

• 92 Replies

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« on: <08-25-11/1513:44> »
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for something good to watch that's to do with Shadowrun.

Recently, I've taken to watching some anime again.  So, I guess that, right now, it's my preferred media for entertainment (other than music!).

I'm interested to know by the forum's anime enthusiasts if there are any really good anime they'd recommend that could relate to Shadowrun.

Like, say:

Akira
Silent Möbius
Ghost in the Shell
Ergo Proxy (to some extent)
Bubblegum Crisis (again, to a certain extent)
A.D Police (lone Star side of things?)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: <08-25-11/1732:29> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-11/1515:48> »
Cowboy Bebop

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-11/1522:56> »
Cowboy Bebop
A bazillion times this.

Also, Gunslinger Girl.

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-11/1524:42> »
Cowboy Bebop
A bazillion times this.
I've seen it, many years ago when it came out.

And since I don't remember it all that well, methinks I'll pick it up and re-watch it!

Also, Gunslinger Girl.

That, I haven't seen.  I'll have a quick google and read about it.  :)

Edit: Googled and OoooO looks like my kind of thing!
« Last Edit: <08-25-11/1526:48> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <08-25-11/1527:22> »
The Manga for Gunslinger Girl was better.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-25-11/1532:44> »
Black Lagoon ?
Gun Smith Cats ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #6 on: <08-25-11/1534:56> »
The Manga for Gunslinger Girl was better.

Duly noted.  I'll pick that up as well!

...Gonna be a very expensive Montreal trip tomorrow!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <08-25-11/1537:27> »
Black Lagoon ?
Gunsmith Cats ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
Both highly suggested.  Gunsmith Cats actually made me feel better about myself, as Japan has even more draconian laws against firearms than Canada does, and the creator is a bigger gun nut than I am.  :P  Also, really, really nice cars!

Black Lagoon is a troop of Pink Mohawks trying to get by, with one former Wageslave that's really out of his element.  (Honestly, I don't know why they keep him around other than to do the books.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #8 on: <08-25-11/1539:05> »
Black Lagoon ?
Gunsmith Cats ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
Both highly suggested.  Gunsmith Cats actually made me feel better about myself, as Japan has even more draconian laws against firearms than Canada does, and the creator is a bigger gun nut than I am.  :P  Also, really, really nice cars!

Black Lagoon is a troop of Pink Mohawks trying to get by, with one former Wageslave that's really out of his element.  (Honestly, I don't know why they keep him around other than to do the books.).

I've read Gunsmith Cats, is there an anime?

Black Lagoon, someone mentioned in another thread: wanted to take from that anime's setting and integrate it in SR.  Looks like it's a whole lotta fun!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <08-25-11/1546:57> »
Gunsmith Cats has three episodes that is essentially one movie.  I got the DVD while at GenCon Indy 2004.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #10 on: <08-25-11/1551:15> »
Gunsmith Cats has three episodes that is essentially one movie.  I got the DVD while at GenCon Indy 2004.

Coolness.  I'll grab a copy should I come across it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <08-25-11/1553:42> »
The manga is insanely detailed, although my copies appeared weird until I found out they were mirror-reversed.

I was wondering for the longest time why everyone was left handed and they were in Chicago, England.  :P

EDIT:  Same guy did Bean Bandit (Who shows up in the Gunsmith Cats Manga), and is an excellent example of a cybered-out Rigger.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #12 on: <08-25-11/1558:54> »
The manga is insanely detailed, although my copies appeared weird until I found out they were mirror-reversed.

I was wondering for the longest time why everyone was left handed and they were in Chicago, England.  :P

EDIT:  Same guy did Bean Bandit (Who shows up in the Gunsmith Cats Manga), and is an excellent example of a cybered-out Rigger.

Yeah, I know Bean Bandit.

The author and artist is Kenichi Sonoda: the guy who did the character designs for the old Bubblegum Crisis OVA (which remains to this day one of my personal faves, even if cheesy and sorta simple-minded).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <08-25-11/1641:54> »
I am now ashamed to admit that I just realized that Nas is just an elven Bean Bandit...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #14 on: <08-25-11/1734:52> »
I am now ashamed to admit that I just realized that Nas is just an elven Bean Bandit...

Hahaha!

You shouldn't be ashamed, though.  There's an unwritten roleplayer rule that goes along the lines of: "If it's cool, use it!"

It's not like copyright infringement is necessarily something to consider when gaming around the RPG table (so long as you don't actually publish anything you've paid homage to!)