NEWS

IT'S THE RECOMMEND A MOVIE THREAD

• 54 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #30 on: <08-08-11/0449:11> »
Talking about Old Boy, I would recommend "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"...this three movies together are Chan-wook Park`s "Venegance trilogy"...and those Koreans are crazy about this thing...

For Shadowrun setting and athmosphere, I`d recomend "Strange days" and "Blade Runner"...well those are classics so IMO this recommendation wasnt necessary  ;D

Also...surprisingly good is "Bicentennial Man"

To intake some free air: "Up in the smoke" and, of course, "Big Lebowski".

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <08-08-11/1936:04> »
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is really good as well. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is decent  but not nearly as good as the other two imo.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #32 on: <08-13-11/0344:11> »
For a Shadowrun setting (And really, just watch it for setting ideas, and not for good acting) I would actually recommend Johnny Mnemonic. Just remember, there is NO good acting in that movie. Wait, correction. Henry Rollins was the only good part, but he seemed crappy because of who he was surrounded by...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <08-20-11/0833:53> »
Finally saw Oldboy...very good movie, though way out there ;).  Next up in the Netflix queue are Priest and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

AJC

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #34 on: <08-20-11/1020:57> »
Saw Fright Night last night. Truly an excellent film. The vampire predator is back, with a vengeance. Colin Farrell does a terrific job playing the shark that is toying with his prey. His movements and mannerisms set off the heebie-jeebie detector that there's just something wrong with the guy, even before you find out he's a vamp.

And David Tennant is also flippin' brilliant as Peter Vincent. The perfect, "How do I get out of this in one piece?" mentality throughout the movie. In fact, all of the cast is perfect in the roles. It's not enough to bump Harry Potter off the top of my summer movies list (sheer nostalgia will keep that one there), but it's a big #2 for best movie of the summer. (Which, yes, means I enjoyed it more than Captain America.)

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #35 on: <08-20-11/1335:23> »
Huh?  Are you implying that David Tennant did something well, and not on stage?  Might actually have to watch that, still not likely to pay theater prices on a gamble like that though.

It's an old one now, but Repo: The Genetic Opera is a film worth watching, unless of course you're some sort of modern American Philistine that can't handle the concept of an Opera...  I mean, he's a bioware repo man who operates as a deniable asset of a supercorp and exists only in the shadow economy, even keeping his identity hidden from his family...  How Shadowrun is that?
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <08-20-11/1822:24> »
Interesting thread that is relevent to my interests....

I am a huge movie buff. After high school, I took about a year and a half off and just played video games, read books(mostly Star Wars related...) and watched movies.

I've watched a lot of movies....

Just a random decent one, Rumble Fish. About a '50s-'70s era street gang. Good info for running some styled gangs in a 'run. Also an amazingly well directed (Francis Ford Copalla) and shot movie.
Peace is a lie.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #37 on: <08-20-11/2250:37> »
Huh?  Are you implying that David Tennant did something well, and not on stage?  Might actually have to watch that, still not likely to pay theater prices on a gamble like that though.

It's an old one now, but Repo: The Genetic Opera is a film worth watching, unless of course you're some sort of modern American Philistine that can't handle the concept of an Opera...  I mean, he's a bioware repo man who operates as a deniable asset of a supercorp and exists only in the shadow economy, even keeping his identity hidden from his family...  How Shadowrun is that?

Careful, though... The music is damned good, and unfortunately catchy... I work in a hospital, and it's never a good idea to be half-singing, half-humming songs about repossessing body parts in a veteran's hospital...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #38 on: <08-20-11/2320:24> »

Careful, though... The music is damned good, and unfortunately catchy... I work in a hospital, and it's never a good idea to be half-singing, half-humming songs about repossessing body parts in a veteran's hospital...

Humming and singing Repo in a hospital environment is pure gold.  +1 to you
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <08-21-11/1712:12> »
I thought Repo was okay. Not as amazing as everyone says.

But that's just me.
Peace is a lie.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #40 on: <08-22-11/1904:59> »
Just saw:

Ajeossi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

imo 5/5 :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <08-27-11/1657:49> »
Saw The American and Priest last night.

The American - not bad, but more a drama than anything else.  The few action scenes were short, intense and gritty.  Might given the book a read as I suspect that there was a lot that didn't get into the movie.

Priest - based on a manga (didn't know that) and actually better than expected.  An interest cross between post-apocalyptic and supernatural horror.  Again, suspect there is a lot more in the manga.  Set up for a sequel (though time will tell).

Up next is Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

AJC

Totes

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <08-30-11/0645:51> »
If any of you are fans of Japanese movies, theres a Tartan Cinema film called The Hidden Blade that I would suggest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Blade

Seraph

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <09-01-11/2206:18> »
To get in the right mood our group saw the "Jhonny mnonic" i think it´s spelled that way. And then we have the "Repoman". Bladerunner works fine to.

For everyone else i can just recommend the new Blueray Star wars collection box with all 6 movies. Go get it! :)
What swedish tanks can´t blow up is not worth destroying!

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #44 on: <09-16-11/0956:50> »
Old Boy is really good. Fragging weird, but good. I'm going to have to re-watch it.
Also, Spielberg was going to remake it for American audiences, with Will Smith as lead. But now that's dead, and Spike Lee is apparently working on a remake. I have a feeling that will be even weirder.

Here's to hoping Spike Lee's remake meets the same fate.