NEWS

IT'S THE RECOMMEND A MOVIE THREAD

• 54 Replies

Van Hellstrom

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <06-23-11/2105:00> »
I went and saw Super 8 and I have to say it's one of the best family movies I have seen in a long time.  Reminds me a lot of The Goonies only with more dying.  If they don't get an Oscar for that movie I will be very surprised.
Shadowrun Is Cool!  I Am Not.:(

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <06-24-11/0730:56> »
I agree Die Hard 1 is great. I'm gonna throw in Matrix 1. And for some crazy kung fu with a comedy bent: Kung Fu Hussle. Brilliant.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-24-11/1117:25> »
And for some crazy kung fu with a comedy bent: Kung Fu Hussle. Brilliant.
Shaolin Soccer (from the same Director).
Genuine Movie
If You like Kung Fu Hassle You'll LOVE Shaolin Soccer

with a genuine Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #18 on: <07-27-11/1534:23> »
Tetsuo the Iron man, the movie that did for shaving what Psycho did for Showers. It's good, fucked up horror.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <07-27-11/1544:28> »
Six-String Samurai.

I keep wanting to turn that movie into a Deadlands:  Hell On Earth campaign...  An insane Elvis Impersonator PC trying to "Retake" the kingdom of Vegas from the clutches of it's Cult-like hordes (Which includes mutated RPGers who were at a convention when the world ended.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sheala

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <07-27-11/1545:03> »
Currently I like movies about "differently normal" people. There are lots of CP movies dealing with differently normal realities and people, but now I have moved to somethimg less action packed and straighforward.
my  two, not new,  reccomendations:

Beautifull Mind : if you missed it, fix it now. You will see the fragile world inside mind of one of world's leading mathematician, and what can paranoia do to a man, and how to find a balance between creativity and sanity.

Fisher King - contains one  rude radio DJ, who is thrown in a world in mind of shizophrenic ex profesor, and follows him on quest to find the Holy Grail. When i say "thrown in a world in mind", i mean it metaphorically, not by some fancy technological device, but still can inspire some SR feels in scene of the "grail" retrieval. Yes, the grail is a real piece of pottery :-)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <07-27-11/1551:39> »
Alan Wake.

Oh, wait, that was a video game.  Damn close to an animated movie, however.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-28-11/0539:41> »
this one is not recommended but it looks very promissing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQ9Vp4fV4I&feature=player_embedded

with a Badass Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #23 on: <07-28-11/1113:52> »
I just caught The Next Three Days on HBO or Showtime or whatever, and I ended up really enjoying it. 

It started out just as me flipping stations and going "Hey, there's a movie about to start in like five minutes, instead of me watching the last half of The Losers or Inception for the umpteenth time, I might as well change stations to actually watch something start to finish," but I turned out to really enjoy it.  I'm traditionally a Russell Crowe fan, but previews and commercials never got me interested.  I'm glad I decided to check it out.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-28-11/1244:13> »
First movie recommendation: Elephant White.
A smart action film about an assassin for hire who ends up going to war with a sex-slave ring.  Kevin Bacon is thankfully absent for much of the film.  He's in a supporting role.  The trailers would lead you to believe that it's about him, because hollywood thinks you're an idiot.  The lead role is actually played by Djimon Hounsou, who is very good.

If you like something like the Borne Identity, where a highly-skilled hitter takes apart a bunch of mid-level hoods, you will like the action in this movie.

Thanks for this one...Netflix should be delivering this weekend... ;)

AJC

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-01-11/1429:23> »
Was able to watch Elephant White over the weekend and enjoyed it, though I found it "odd" at times...though the twist at the end summed it up well.  Had a very similar "vibe" to Bangkok Dangerous, which I quite enjoyed.

Next flicks:  "The American" and "The Man From Nowhere"

AJC

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-05-11/1203:23> »
I highly recommend trying "Old Boy". It's a Korean film about a man who is kidnapped and kept in a hotel room as a prisoner for 15 years. He has a tv and freedom to do what he likes inside the confines of his room but he can not leave. After 15 years he is released without any explanation and wakes up on a roof top. That's where things get REALLY interesting. It's hard to say more without spoiling the film but this is by far the best movie I have seen and if you have an "open mind" I think you just might agree with me.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-05-11/1356:04> »
Cheers!  Was just able to add Oldboy to my Netflix queue...maybe next weekend.

AJC

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <08-07-11/1128:38> »
Saw "The Man From Nowhere" and "Source Code" this weekend - quite enjoyed both; highly recommend TMFN.

AJC

Gerafin

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <08-07-11/1355:06> »
Old Boy is really good. Fragging weird, but good. I'm going to have to re-watch it.
Also, Spielberg was going to remake it for American audiences, with Will Smith as lead. But now that's dead, and Spike Lee is apparently working on a remake. I have a feeling that will be even weirder.