NEWS

CDC Issues Zombie Attack Preparedness Advice - Seriously

• 45 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <07-27-11/2053:19> »
Every single male over the age of 14 has unconsciously prepared themselves for a Zombie outbreak. Most without realizing it.
Oh, I realized it.  I realized it.

Still have to get that tin pot at my FLGS/Army Surplus Store to protect my precious brains.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #16 on: <07-28-11/0404:11> »
I have a blacksmith friend who has been making lobos recently :)

I see someone else has read World War Z.

bush hook.....check
machete.......check
shotguns.....check
pistol............check
ammo.........low but check

.22 rifle with a good scope and about 2000 rounds of ammo myself. Dont have to blow the head off, just get inside their skull. Accuracy counts. I would like to stay at range myself. If you have to use the up-close stuff, you're likely already toast.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-28-11/1235:41> »
At range a regular ole .22 round is going to bounce off a skull as often as penetrate one.  Get a .22 magnum :)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #18 on: <07-28-11/1247:35> »
At range a regular ole .22 round is going to bounce off a skull as often as penetrate one.  Get a .22 magnum :)

You're thinking too small.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <07-28-11/1251:04> »
Hollowpoints, nearly any caliber.  They waste zombie brains good.

Personally, I think I'd go with a Calico M-900 with a Reflex Scope.  100-round magazines of easy to find 9mm Parabellum ammunition for when you know it's going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooong night.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-28-11/1343:33> »

You're thinking too small.

My mother hung me on a hook once.  Once.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #21 on: <07-28-11/1739:56> »
Hollowpoints, nearly any caliber.  They waste zombie brains good.

Personally, I think I'd go with a Calico M-900 with a Reflex Scope.  100-round magazines of easy to find 9mm Parabellum ammunition for when you know it's going to be a looooooooooooooooooooooooong night.
that night is gonna get really long once all that noise from that 9mm starts off. better to stick with a polearm and if you NEED a gun, go with a silenced .45 (pick your platform.) big enough bullet to kill a man or a zombie, slow enough a silencer can actually keep it down. (since it doesn't break the sound barrier. icydk.)
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <07-28-11/1908:22> »
Suppress the 9mm as well.  :P

I got an entrenching tool for close-in work, a pole arm is good for street work, but things get tight far too quick.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #23 on: <07-28-11/1942:14> »

I got an entrenching tool for close-in work, a pole arm is good for street work, but things get tight far too quick.
- Silenced 9mm SMG... preferably with hollow-points to deal with ooey-gooey-zombie flesh.
 - Silenced and Scoped rifle (decent caliber, but again for the squishy targets... AP will likely slice right through with Zero effect)
 - Large Bladed weapon of choice.... I have a fondness for swords, but only due to some martial training a long while ago. A naginata would likely be the perfect combination of reach and slicing power, but I've never hefted one, so this is just a guess.
 - Glock-17 - Backup Pistol
      -- Those Incendiary rounds look fun.... but the Double-Drum clip is a bit ...err...phallic.
 - AA-12 with Drum mag - For the scary, non-subtle times when: OMG they're everywhere, man, they're everywhere!  :o
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/2016:16> by Charybdis »
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <07-28-11/1947:16> »
For a rifle, the old fashioned Battle Rifles of WWI/WWII are good for rural situations where the sound would be harder to track.  Also, they are designed with bayonets in mind, always a good thing.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #25 on: <07-29-11/0329:26> »

I'm really digging that E-tool. ;)  Always wanted to use mine that way, but things never went to shit that bad.  :-\ As for suppressing a 9mm it still makes WAY more noise than a .45 silenced, then again silencers are only so effective so it's a trade off. Personally I would prefer a crossbow. slower rate of fire, yes. But you can scope it, i can reach out and touch them just as far as any carbine, and you can even recover your ammo! which would be a life saver if things went south and you might not be getting reloads for a long while. besides crossbow can kill'em just as if not quieter than any bladed hand weapon, and all the way out to a few hundred meters. ;D

For a rifle, the old fashioned Battle Rifles of WWI/WWII are good for rural situations where the sound would be harder to track.  Also, they are designed with bayonets in mind, always a good thing.
This is why i have an M1 w/bayonet as my stand by with my BOB. I just need to find more space for ammo without adding much more weight.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <07-29-11/1301:29> »
I have a 1950s-era Entrenching Tool (I'd have to dig it out, but, IIRC, the maker's mark on it is 1953), which has been considered by my FLGS/Army Surplus Store to be the best series they've ever had in stock.

I'm getting a more modern Swiss model for a friend of mine for a emergency shovel for his car.  He looked so proud at the over-sized aluminum and plastic POS he got himself...  :(

No rifle for me.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #27 on: <07-30-11/2015:17> »
It's probably not as good a tactic as I want it to be.

But dammit it doesn't look awesome. Probably only works in tight spaces, like an alleyway or a long corridor.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <07-30-11/2018:15> »
All tactics have to be based on the situation you find yourself in.  What works in an open field won't work so well in an urban environment.

The best tactic is to be adaptable.  Sun Tzu had quite a bit to say on the subject.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #29 on: <07-31-11/2317:28> »
All tactics have to be based on the situation you find yourself in.  What works in an open field won't work so well in an urban environment.

The best tactic is to be adaptable.  Sun Tzu had quite a bit to say on the subject.
Ideally, it'd work in a long corridor that you might find at a hotel. The main trouble would probably be herding.

Edit: I know, I'm putting too much thought into this.
« Last Edit: <07-31-11/2324:19> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."