NEWS

The Live Action Akira Remake

• 55 Replies

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #45 on: <07-27-11/1547:08> »
Well, I've now watched Firefly all the way through.  It wasn't too bad.  It got a little cliche at times and I found some of the characters irritating, but in general I thought it was pretty good.
Only ever saw the movie. Hated it because they killed my favorite character and decided to bludgeon me over the head with a "THIS IS A DECONSTRUCTION!" stick.

I was actually a little nervous when I heard that DeCaprio was producing or directing, that was placated for a time when I heard he was actually a fan of the Manga and Anime. Then I hear about all this shit on the internet.. right now I'm pretty .meh about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: <07-27-11/1549:39> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #46 on: <09-16-11/0740:00> »
The animation style for ASD was too distracting to me. I find it works best with those investing commercials and not for a whole movie. To this day I still couldn't tell you what it was about, aside from being a drug story.

P. K. Dick likes to work with the subject of identity a lot.  A Scanner Darkly was about identity and the physical mind - how much of your identity is just a part of your neural wiring.  He explored this, naturally, through heavy psychedelic drug use and a protagonist who was in the late stages of total mental degeneration.  The plot was about an undercover cop investigating this drug, and using the drug to the point where his mind was literally split in two.  Right hemisphere and left hemisphere had severed their connection and he had begun to become two different people where one hand didn't know what the other was doing.  In the end, he lost his mind completely and in doing so he was used by the DEA to infiltrate the treatment centers, which were actually pushing the drug. 

Dick always has weird endings that sort of flip in subject/style.  I think that the centers/farms that create the drugs to create the addicts to work the farms to create the drugs, represent something more significant than what their minor part in the story would suggest.  They represent a sort of occluding force over all of society which keeps an individual from true self knowledge through soaking it in confusion and pleasure. 

Dick was a fan of the philosophy of Guy Debord, so the idea of a self-perpetuating illusory world which we inflict on ourselves is another of those reoccurring themes in his work.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #47 on: <09-16-11/0751:14> »
I always thought that the weakest part of any Dick novel was the ending. It was like his drugs/energy wore out, and he just decided to wrap things up...

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #48 on: <09-16-11/0959:43> »
I always thought that the weakest part of any Dick novel was the ending. It was like his drugs/energy wore out, and he just decided to wrap things up...

Yeah, its sort of like trying to write the ending to a dream in a lot of ways. 
The story doesn't know how to end so it becomes something else.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #49 on: <09-16-11/1012:23> »
Something like this?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #50 on: <09-17-11/0341:12> »
Apart from Dick having more hair and less tattoos, yes, exactly like that :P

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #51 on: <09-29-11/1922:01> »
wtf is that from?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <09-29-11/2000:13> »
Transmetropolitan.  It's a Post-Cyberpunk Graphic Novel.  Very good one, too.

The anti-social drug addicted journalist with the illegal bowel disruptor who just physically assaulted half a dozen people for kicks while naked is the good guy.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #53 on: <09-29-11/2014:03> »

The anti-social drug addicted journalist with the illegal bowel disruptor who just physically assaulted half a dozen people for kicks while naked is the good guy.

You aren't kidding, are you?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <09-29-11/2317:02> »

Somebody needs to go read the classics. ;D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #55 on: <09-30-11/0009:34> »

Somebody needs to go read the classics. ;D
Yep, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  ;D

As far as I can figure out, the Protagonist, the Beast, and the Smiler are all supposed to be the Faces of America as seen by the world as the larger picture.  But I might be wrong on that, I am seriously underdosing.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11