NEWS

[6E] Let's (re)create some spells

• 37 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <02-28-21/1154:02> »
As an aside, does 6e have a section on things magic can't do.  I know 5e did and they ignored it for a couple spells, with bad excuses, we aren't creating food we are copying it or something. But does 6e even have that in.  I don't remember reading anything like that but my eyes could have skipped past it. And if not, is that intentional, teleportation is incoming, or it is one of those well if you played earlier editions you know things.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <02-28-21/1228:10> »
So, a few additions to the original purpose of this thread: One easy route to cook up spells is to just slap some fitting status effects on the "boring" non-elemental combat spells for additional Drain. Some suggestions:

• Force Choke: Like Stunbolt, but also inflicts the Muted status for [Net hits] Combat rounds, +1 Drain.
  • Bonecrusher: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts one level of the Paralyzed Status for every 2 Net Hits. The Status lasts until treated. +1 Drain.
  • Mana Disruption: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts the target with the Hazed Status for [Net Hits] Combat rounds if the net hits exceed the targets Magic/2. Limited to dual-natured and astral targets, which sets the additional Drain back to +0. (Fun fact: Besides the description of the effect, the  Hazed status is never mentioned again in the Core rules. And in Street Wyrd, it´s only mentioned as a spell ingredient. You´d think that an effect with such wide-reaching consequences would have a little more support behind it... ::))
  • Aneurysm: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts the target with the Dazed status for [Net hits] Combat rounds. +1 Drain.
  • Ground Wave: Like Clout, but the force is concentrated close to the ground to sweep the target of its feet. 1 Net Hit inflicts the Off Balance Status, 3+ Net Hits knock the target prone. +1 Drain (Or even +0 if you also specify that his spell can be used only on non-flying targets that are on the same ground level as the caster).

Absolutely agreed.  Look at the spells I scratch-built upthread... so many individual points could have been implemented in a different way!  The spell design process is inherently and highly mutable.  But when you use these mechanics to modify existing spells, it's much more of a regimented system along the lines of what players like Lormyr prefer.

As an aside, does 6e have a section on things magic can't do.  I know 5e did and they ignored it for a couple spells, with bad excuses, we aren't creating food we are copying it or something. But does 6e even have that in.  I don't remember reading anything like that but my eyes could have skipped past it. And if not, is that intentional, teleportation is incoming, or it is one of those well if you played earlier editions you know things.

I haven't read all the fluff yet, but the spell design section does not mention the Unholy Trinity (no teleportation, no communicating with the dead, no time travel) directly.  At least that I've noticed.  The spell design fluff DOES indirectly mention the "no teleportation" aspect... part of the in-universe fluff discusses how "hard" it is to teleport and the jackpointer points out that it's easier to just design a spell that opens a hole in a wall, which is a way to bypass solving how to teleport through it.
« Last Edit: <02-28-21/1229:51> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-28-21/1515:46> »
[Elemantal] Aura: armour spell plus fire/electricity/cold etc... anyone touching it (close combat) gets burning/zapped etc status... drain +2 for 6DV. I don’t mind that it doesn’t do damage as previous editions did... they always felt a bit OTT to me :)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-23-21/1125:11> »
Necroposting cause we made a new spell in my home game:

During the widespread blackout that rocked the UCAS, a shadowrunner magician called Moose was stranded in the dark in the city of Toronto.  For most of the residents this was a dangerous time, but Moose was also one of the thousands addicted to BTL sims.  As hours became days and days turned into weeks, Moose suffered greatly from withdrawl of the electronic drugs.  His hands would shake, his vision blurry, and it was impossible to focus.  Then one cold night, Moose had a fevered dream inspired by his Mentor Bear.  Moose was in a refugee camp like the one he grew up in.  Shaking and sweating, in the dream he came upon a campsite enclosed by tarps where two wounded people from his past lay dying.  As a trained healer, Moose immediately set to work on them.  But try as he might, he could only save one.  Afterward however, he found that while he was working, his hands stopped shaking and his focus was clear.  This was a power he could call on when he awoke, and he knew its name as Bear's Steady Hands.

Bear's Steady Hands (Health Spell)
Range: T
Type: P
Duration: S
DV: 4

This spell alleviates the effects of addiction withdrawl (pg 74, SR6).  Each net hit on the Sorcery test reduces negative dice pool modifiers due to withdrawl by 1.  If the negative dice pool modifiers are reduced to 0, the subject can gain and spend Edge normally.  However, use of this spell does not stop withdrawl time from accumulating.  It only alleviates symptoms due to withdrawl that the subject is currently experiencing.
When the spell is no longer sustained, all the symptoms and negative modifiers of withdrawl return.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <08-24-21/2102:12> »
Would the boost skill ingredient work like the increase attribute spell where you learn one spell then pick a specific attribute to increase or do you need to clarify the skill in the spell design?  It seems like the wording is similar to the attribute boost ingredient.   Is this intentionally vague to be GM discretion?  I also wondered why affect specific type of test doesn't have a cap like the skill boost.  Lomyr does point out though that although the wording is narrower than a skill doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a skill. 

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <08-25-21/1121:00> »
Would the boost skill ingredient work like the increase attribute spell where you learn one spell then pick a specific attribute to increase or do you need to clarify the skill in the spell design?  It seems like the wording is similar to the attribute boost ingredient.   Is this intentionally vague to be GM discretion?  I also wondered why affect specific type of test doesn't have a cap like the skill boost.  Lomyr does point out though that although the wording is narrower than a skill doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a skill. 

Yeah they seem to contradict themselves by making the Increase Attribute spell generic, chosen at the time of casting, and then making the Attribute Boost Ingredient specific, chosen at the time of spell creation.  I don't think this is intentionally vague, I think they're making the Increase Attribute spell a special case and for home brewed spells making you choose it at creation.

The other option is that they are going to retcon Increase Attribute to Increase (Attribute) in the next round of errata and make you pick the attribute when you learn the spell.

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <08-25-21/1340:26> »

Yeah they seem to contradict themselves by making the Increase Attribute spell generic, chosen at the time of casting, and then making the Attribute Boost Ingredient specific, chosen at the time of spell creation.  I don't think this is intentionally vague, I think they're making the Increase Attribute spell a special case and for home brewed spells making you choose it at creation.

The other option is that they are going to retcon Increase Attribute to Increase (Attribute) in the next round of errata and make you pick the attribute when you learn the spell.

What a way lose 30 Karma.  Is having the increase skill spell generic much more powerful than rating 6 skill wires?  With that you can get 7 dice on any skill in the game and still use edge with the wireless bonus.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <08-25-21/1556:50> »
There are 8 attributes.  There are 17 skills.  you do the math.
a r:6 skillwires system is $240,000, not exactly simple or cheap.