Shadowrun General > Gear

5E Tentacles...oh my

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
yeah, the wish list is a bit overly long.  A cyberlimb that's a tentacle instead of a conventionally articulated one?  Surely doable.  But that extra flexibility has to incur an opportunity cost.  A good way to represent that is having less available capacity than a conventional cyberlimb.  Which in turn means it cant be as strong/fast/have all the bat-gimmicks a conventional limb could have.

Dudesomebody:

--- Quote from: Reaver on ---The problem is, what you want, can not physically exist.
Now, I know we see it in Hentai all the time.. but that is not a good representation of real life :P And Shadowrun, despite its Fantasy elements, still tries to stick to realism. (well, as much as it can)

Think about what you want... you want something that can retract, has strength, is prehensile, and flexible. So how exactly do you do that!??!?!?

To be flexible, it would need a Mechanical gimble, flyjoint, sprocket or lever... that has mass... and you would need one at EVERY POINT OF ARTICULATION.
Next, those gimlbes, flyjoints, sprokets, or levers need to receive both power and command signals, which means wires....

And we are not even into little things like weight, ductile strength, tensile strength, thermodynamics, mass, or even Phyics!

I am sad to say, But Rule 34 ONLY applies to the internet..

--- End quote ---

I adamantly disagree with this being undo-able because of physics. My last game we fought a dragon with an attack helicopter. There should be limits to what we can get away with but as long as we dont shoot for the moon and use consistent rules I dont see why this cant be a thing. Also my group doesnt run those kinda games ;p  I dont have any expectation or need for this, I dont even have a character in mind, it is purely a 'if I wanted to do this how' kind of deal.

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---yeah, the wish list is a bit overly long.  A cyberlimb that's a tentacle instead of a conventionally articulated one?  Surely doable.  But that extra flexibility has to incur an opportunity cost.  A good way to represent that is having less available capacity than a conventional cyberlimb.  Which in turn means it cant be as strong/fast/have all the bat-gimmicks a conventional limb could have.
--- End quote ---

This...is a surprisingly good idea, I am a little embarrassed I didnt think of it before posting.

Reaver:
Find me an example in real life of a retractable, articulate, powered cable ANYWHERE....

You can't, because it breaks the laws of Phyics. (Sorry, just tge way it is).

Here is a really easy example you can do right now with a simple kitchen broom...

Grab the broom by the VERY end (nothing sticking out of your hand), now lift the broom and your arm out so the broom is 90 degrees to the floor., while keeping feet paralell and shoulder width apart. Feel thar stain in your arm and back? That with just  1 ound broom.... not 4lbs/foot/4in. Which is the rough weights you for standard construction steel weights (the lowest quality).

And we have yet to discuss the telescoping, ductitlity, nor tensile strengths....

As i stated in Chalkarts thread along the same lines, there are physical limitations that people forget about....

Consider this, for  a machine to extend me out 80 feet from its base, that base MUST weigh 58,000 poinds! And even then, it will tip over if the weight exceeds 550lbs.... or basically me, my tools a 1 piece of equipment....(often times we need to use a 2 manlifts and crane for surface mounting eqipment at height).

While we have telescoping limbs, we do not have telescoping, tenticles, let alone retractable telescoping tenticles simply because its not really feasable from a mechanical consturction perspective.... it breaks the laws of physics and thermodynamics.....

Dudesomebody:
Find me a real life example of cybernetics on the same level as shadowrun, or a dragon, or advanced ai. I see your point and even agree to an extent, players shouldnt be allowed to do whatever they want just because cool. but limiting a game set in a scifi/fantasy setting because there are no real world examples of something is silly. I do appreciate all the input, gives me something to work with and has sated my need for an answer.

Edit: missing word

Seras:

--- Quote from: Dudesomebody on ---Find me a real life example of cybernetics on the same level as shadowrun, or a dragon, or advanced ai. I see your point and even agree to an extent, players shouldnt be allowed to do whatever they want just because cool. but limiting a game set in a scifi/fantasy setting because there are no real world examples of something is silly. I do appreciate all the input, gives me something to work with and has sated my need for an answer.

Edit: missing word

--- End quote ---

Magic might actually be your best bet......their is a  telekenisis spell in the core rulebook. Magic basicalliy looks like what the mage wants it to look like....so your magic energy can manifest as metallic octopus arms....thats why people love playing mages  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version