NEWS

Opinion poll: Pacific Rim and viewing choices.

• 5 Replies

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« on: <07-13-13/0045:52> »
I like big stompy robots, my wife does not. This means I will catch Pacific Rim solo, which means I can watch the movie in formats that do not agree with her inner ear. For those of you who have seen the movie, mainly those who caught it in IMAX/3D/IMAX+3D, was it worth the upcharge for the format? If you didn't see it in those formats, but feel like it would have been worth seeing, please pitch in as well.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #1 on: <07-13-13/1529:02> »
I haven't seen the movie, but I'd say it has to do with how much the makers specially film scenes. You might want to do a bit of research if you haven't already. I saw Star Trek earlier this summer in IMAX 3d, and it was the first movie I've felt was worth the 3D, since I was a little kid. I was leaning against not paying the extra to see ST in IMAX 3d, but I did some searches and saw they were putting an effort into filming scenes for it. The entire movie wasn't using it, but there was some great scenes, most especially the opening.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-13-13/1546:51> »
It was a great movie. I enjoyed the Hell out of it.

I saw it in 2D, and I understand it was rendered in 3D post-production, which generally sucks and just looks darker (and the movie is dark enough since all the fights are at night and almost entirely either in the rain or underwater). I'd stick with 2D.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-13-13/2027:31> »
...and I understand it was rendered in 3D post-production...

Wow, it was. My earlier research was dead wrong.

I'd stick with 2D.

Planning on it now.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Firebrand

• Newb
  • No happy endings, no straight lines.
« Reply #4 on: <07-13-13/2242:17> »
I really liked it, but 3D would've been overkill. Probably blurry too.

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #5 on: <09-19-13/2056:47> »
Caught it in the theater back when it came out and ... LOVED IT!!  'Course I gotta admit I've watched my fair share of 'mech-anime and that's what it was to me.  But hey; I'm a fan so watching a big live-action version of Robots versus Monsters worked for me.  And ya, I was taking mental notes, while watching, of what I could use in SR. :)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)