Crash_00

« Reply #16 on: <07-27-11/2211:19> »
You mean you don't call it the "BaBaBah"?  ;D

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #17 on: <07-27-11/2237:38> »
Oh, okay. I wonder why it's called BBB.
It stands for "Big Black Book", and is another in a long line of traditional TLA (Three Letter Acronyms.).

An abbreviation isn't an acronym unless it is pronounced as a word.

Example: PETA is an acronym, BBB is not.

Err, normally I completely agree with Onion Man, but I'm also a grammar Nazi, and this struck me as incorrect...
A) No-one mentioned Abbreviations before you did
B) An abbreviation is an accepted shortened form of a word (singular), eg Dr = Doctor, Mr = Mister
C) PETA is an acronym (as composed of the 1st letters of the words it represents)
D) Ergo, BBB is an acronym
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #18 on: <07-27-11/2305:24> »
I'm the wrong grammar Nazi to grammar Nazi.

World English Dictionary
acronym  (ˈækrənɪm) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
   a pronounceable name made up of a series of initial letters or parts of words; for example, UNESCO  for the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization
Word Origin & History

acronym
1943 coinage from acro-,  comb. form of Gk. akros  "tip, end" (see acrid) + Eng. -onym  "name" (abstracted from homonym ; see name). The practice was non-existent before 20c. except in cabalistic esoterica and acrostic poetry.
Cultural Dictionary
acronym  [( ak -ruh-nim)]

A word formed by combining the beginning letters of a name or phrase, as in WASP for w hite A nglo- S axon P rotestant, or by combining the initial syllables of a series of words, as in radar, which stands for ra dio de tecting a nd r anging.

Note : Acronyms are often less clumsy than the complete expressions they represent and are easier to write and remember.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym

Also
Quote from: Acronym vs. Abbreviation Vs. Initialism
In writing, an abbreviation is any shortened form of a word or phrase.

Note, however, that there are types of abbreviations; the most common being acronyms and intialisms.

acronym - (a type of abbreviation)
    A word formed from the initial parts (letters OR syllables OR arbitrary parts) of a name.
    Examples: NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation)

initialism - (a type of abbreviation)
    A group of initial letters used as an abbreviation for a name or expression, each letter being pronounced separately.
    For example, "BBC" (British Broadcasting Corporation), or "PBS" (Public Broadcasting System).
http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/abbr.html
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <07-27-11/2312:44> »
That's it, only one way to truly handle this type of situation.

Both of you face off for a "Yo Momma" fight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #20 on: <07-27-11/2315:24> »
Yo Momma is so old that when she was told to act her age the hag dropped dead.

:P
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <07-27-11/2322:32> »
Actually, as your friendly neighborhood moderator, I'd suggest taking it to PM's. Or starting a new thread for the Yo Momma fight.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #22 on: <07-28-11/0106:03> »
I'm the wrong grammar Nazi to grammar Nazi.
After some web searching to clarify my point, I have to cede to several of yours  :-X
Dammit!  :-[  and +1 to you.

I was previously unaware that the technical definition of an Acronym required it to be a word (however what is a 'Word' is still up for rigorous debate, especially as Pronunciation and spelling consistency go right out the window where abbreviations are concerned)

But for reference, I'm not acknowledging any literary site that can't spell 'Liberty'  - http://www.lyberty.com :P
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #23 on: <07-28-11/0150:51> »
Baaaack on topic... Quick question about massive amounts of cyberlimbing, like say 2 legs, 2 arms, and the requisite torso. Does anyone else require background stories for the "Why the HELL did your character do that to himself?!" Also, that amount of cybering would instantly sign said character up for Distinctive Style, and would possibly lead to in-game additions of Cyberpsychosis, Augment Addiction, Weak Immune System from all of the autoimmune treatments, Implant-Induce Immune Deficiency, Buggy 'Ware, Mystery Mod Noise, High Maintenance Implant, and the killer.... TLE-x. Also called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Seriously, all that cybering is bad juju. When an uncybered adept can usually wipe the floor with you after ten run's worth of karma. And Ghost help you if you meet up with a hacker or technomancer that decides they don't like you...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Crash_00

« Reply #24 on: <07-28-11/0204:49> »
Lyberty is usually used as the spelling for a first name, and has been adopted by many companies for name purposes. I've also seen it used in some very very old books, but nothing written after the 1700s, and it isn't commonly used today for any actual meaning.

As for the massive armoring, I wouldn't require an explanation, but I would give him a hard time every time he passed through a metal/MAD scanner.

I wouldn't force any negative qualities onto the character, but I would play all the in game social and logical ill effects of being made of metal armor (that weighs a ton, no riding rickety elevators without a nice creepy grinding noise).

Can you not just turn the wireless off on your cyberware to prevent hacking? I also didn't think a hacker could hack your DNI arms.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #25 on: <07-28-11/0222:47> »
Mentions in the books that all cyberware comes equipped with wireless capabilities. You can turn the wireless off, and it SHOULD be safe, but a few of those features the comes with most cyber-arms are set up to run with the wireless ON. When I GM it, they wanna turn it off, they can. But, everything else in the arm will have to be rerouted. And most gun bunnies don't know how to do that.

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-28-11/0230:09> »
... Quick question about massive amounts of cyberlimbing, like say 2 legs, 2 arms, and the requisite torso. Does anyone else require background stories for the "Why the HELL did your character do that to himself?!" Also, that amount of cybering would instantly sign said character up for Distinctive Style, and would possibly lead to in-game additions of Cyberpsychosis, Augment Addiction, Weak Immune System from all of the autoimmune treatments, Implant-Induce Immune Deficiency, Buggy 'Ware, Mystery Mod Noise, High Maintenance Implant, and the killer.... TLE-x. Also called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Seriously, all that cybering is bad juju. ...
there is no Automatic" If you only have 1 Essence left over you instantly get a Cyberpsychosis and You instantly get a Freak Faktor "!
Its ok for a Player to choose this for his Char (and it fits ImO perfectly) but its not mandatory !
I have (among others)  such a Char (Cyb Ork) he's "fully Transformed" and yes I gave him a Cyberpsychosis (callous)but I also gave him Magic Resistance and other advantages
I also have other Chars whose Essence is also below 1 or even lower and they're mentally Stable

with a stable Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #27 on: <07-28-11/0237:48> »
Of course, the biggest disadvantage of heavy use of cyberlimbs:

You just limited where you can go.

You're going to set off security alerts wherever you go. Good luck trying to get into SeaTac or other airports to catch a flight. Many buildings are equipped with scanners that can pick you up like a beacon on a dark night. Cops are going to hassle you just walking down the street.

Remember this is Shadowrun, not Cyborg Fiesta. Everything out there in the world is bigger and meaner than you are. Painting a giant bullseye on your chest isn't necessarily the best move.

-k

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-28-11/0256:47> »
My character is an elf with the trustyworthy quality and rating 2 tailored pheremones with 8 charisma and an array of knowledge skills to be able to discuss in depth pop culture topics. I also have 7 negotiation. My build is very unorthadox and I think it will be fun to play a character who is not far from a cyborg who still possess incredible social skills. Of course, many will frown on the choices I've made in game but it should create an interesting dynamic. My  plan is to make many contacts during the game and I can probably get around some of the social barriers this way. I think it will be quite fun!

As for squaring off against an adept, I think I have a good chance. My character can take an incredible amount of punishment and he's not easy to hit. His offensive abilities are fairly powerful as well. However, some of the crucial pieces of gear I need are unavailable during character creation and I have maxed out my 35 point positive quality limit already. So for the first while I will be significantly less powerful than I will be in the not so distant future.

I'm about to begin a live campaign with my Brother. We live together so we decided to start up this campaign for just the two of us and probably have one or two npcs join us. It's going to be pretty cool being able to play sessions whenever we want without having to make schedules with friends which can lead to delays and cancellations etc. Plus, we can play shorter sessions if we want so it should be pretty cool.

« Last Edit: <07-28-11/0258:51> by Shadowjack »
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #29 on: <07-28-11/0259:09> »
... Quick question about massive amounts of cyberlimbing, like say 2 legs, 2 arms, and the requisite torso. Does anyone else require background stories for the "Why the HELL did your character do that to himself?!" Also, that amount of cybering would instantly sign said character up for Distinctive Style, and would possibly lead to in-game additions of Cyberpsychosis, Augment Addiction, Weak Immune System from all of the autoimmune treatments, Implant-Induce Immune Deficiency, Buggy 'Ware, Mystery Mod Noise, High Maintenance Implant, and the killer.... TLE-x. Also called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Seriously, all that cybering is bad juju. ...
there is no Automatic" If you only have 1 Essence left over you instantly get a Cyberpsychosis and You instantly get a Freak Faktor "!
Its ok for a Player to choose this for his Char (and it fits ImO perfectly) but its not mandatory !
I have (among others)  such a Char (Cyb Ork) he's "fully Transformed" and yes I gave him a Cyberpsychosis (callous)but I also gave him Magic Resistance and other advantages
I also have other Chars whose Essence is also below 1 or even lower and they're mentally Stable

with a stable Dance
Medicineman

Note that I said "possibly" there. And negative qualities CAN be handed out during gameplay if the GM thinks you deserve it. And no, you don't get additional BP or Karma if those negative qualities are "awarded" during gameplay. I get someone that hands me a cyber-monster, and he doesn't AT LEAST have Cyberware Compatibility, he can expect that eventually, his meat is gonna start rejecting some of those in some bad ways. Especially if it's standard grade cyberware, or worse, second-hand wares. I'm not talking just a couple of cyber arms, I mean the ones that are damn near to being c-zombies. The body DIES if it has too much cyberware installed. And you tell me there is no gray area between being just fine, and DYING because there isn't enough meat to sustain you? Sorry, but I don't buy it. You have less than one essence, and weird crap starts happening to your remaining meat. Not saying everyone has to run that way, but in my house, that's how it goes.