NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #300 on: <06-07-11/1108:43> »
They are actually releasing Duke Nukem...finally.
A week today in NA, in fact.

I know I'm going to rent a copy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #301 on: <06-11-11/0859:29> »
They are actually releasing Duke Nukem...finally.
A week today in NA, in fact.

I know I'm going to rent a copy.

Too bad I am 15 years past caring. DNF could never live up to the expectations I had back in 1996.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #302 on: <06-11-11/1228:20> »
ROFLMAO . . . Duke Nukem gets discussed under the Horrors subject - for some reason this strikes me as wildly appropriate.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #303 on: <06-11-11/1328:38> »
ROFLMAO . . . Duke Nukem gets discussed under the Horrors subject - for some reason this strikes me as wildly appropriate.
Speaking of horror, every rental place within walking distance of me just closed.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #304 on: <06-13-11/0850:43> »
I disbeleive!
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #305 on: <06-15-11/1255:29> »
Speaking of horror, every rental place within walking distance of me just closed.  :(

Unfortunately not surprising as Netflix and other streaming services become more popular.  Video Stores especially mom and pop places are going the way of the dinosaurs.  What kills me is even if you have a Redbox near you it does not have the selection that the old video stores had. 

Cailieg

• Newb
« Reply #306 on: <04-09-12/1827:14> »
I would have started a new thread to discuss the Horrors in the Sixth Age, but really figure if its got such a rich topical history I may as well use what we have here.

IF, IF, Horrors were to come through early what type of statistics would you attribute to them. I have a follow up to Aztlan pg 68 in the works based on Dzitlbach's death and the attempts to kill Sirrug. And it may well bring a momentary bridge between the world of the 6th and the Horrors realm.

What powers would you attribute to them, what of theirs would you see weakened (the world is not ready for them but one slips through is the idea), etc.

Alexis
*smiles*

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #307 on: <04-09-12/1856:20> »
There are two things to consider:
1) What is the mana level required to sustain a specific Horror
2) What is the threshold to allow said Horror to pass

I suspect that the more powerful horrors are going to require higher mana levels to sustain them.  Thus we'd only see the weaker horrors capable of existing on the low end of the mana spectrum.  Low level horrors, while dangerous, are not apocalyptic.  While many people would likely die to them, they could be defeated.  These low level horrors probably can't get through the threshold without help though.

The more powerful horrors could force their way through smaller thresholds, but the mana level isn't present to support them so they could not stay long or they may not have full access to their abilities.

So keeping the threshold closed can keep out the weak ones, but not the powerful ones.  The only thing keeping the powerful ones at bay is the lack of mana to support them once they get here.  The question is then do you want to fight all of them all at once with no preparation or do you want to fight the weak ones first and learn the skills you need to get prepared?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #308 on: <04-09-12/2323:34> »
Actually, higher level horrors just need a certain mana level to make the jump. They can still be sustained at lower levels, however. For instance, one of the big nasty horrors already showed up in one of the novels years ago to mess with Aina. If something like Verjigorm showed up, there'd be no hiding it, obviously, but some of the most powerful horrors were some of the most subtle, and enjoyed tormenting their victims mentally instead of just eating them. If Yrsgrath(sp?) can pass over at one of the spike points, then others could as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the massive use of blood magic that the Azzies unleashed at the start of the Az-Am war created a spike point large enough for some horrors to slip through.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Cailieg

• Newb
« Reply #309 on: <04-09-12/2354:30> »
That is actually why I am asking for some mechanical assistance in how to represent them.

See, in my campaign world, Dzitlbach's spirit is being tortured. And what they plan to do to Sirrug is flat out stomach turning. But if they succeed their new CEO will be given a great mas--- I mean gift! And will have allowed something wholly unsavory onto this plane much earlier than the world was ready for.

So I am thinking on which to pick and how to deal with it. have my copies of Horrors and Scourge Unending out for use, but figuring out who best represents what is going on. What if anything will get through and how to mechanically represent it.

Alexis
*smiles*

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #310 on: <04-10-12/0403:26> »
I would definnitively link its attributes to their force/magic, the way spirits are (what I really dont understand is why Dragons are not treated this way)...then some nice mix of powers, modified powers and new ones (note that RAW you can treat power quite flexible, those descriptions in rules are said to be Examples and GM s are suggested to find their own way to work around this...)
Also, Mirikons idea that powerfull survives longer (and even are able to survive) seems proper for this situation...
since earth right now is something like -20 background count for them, they would need at least Force 21 to be able to survive. Alsdo...effects of evanescence may be applied if they dont get anchored in this world. And, thats for sure...the peak allowing them to come throught should be at least at their force level, so the equilibrium is achieved between world...Harmony of the spheres... ;)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #311 on: <04-10-12/0532:57> »
I would definnitively link its attributes to their force/magic, the way spirits are (what I really dont understand is why Dragons are not treated this way)
Because dragons are special snowflakes that can be killed by cavemen with magic (ED) but not by 21st century weapons of war.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say that?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #312 on: <04-10-12/0628:17> »
Now This reveals truth behind a lot of things I didnt understand :P

No, really...When I saw Lafwyrs stats in Street legends, I realized that this is some pretty misleading step, because even if magic is in permanent increase, it doesnt affect this...one of most powerfull magical beings...and recalling what was said about dragons in ED sourcebooks and some other sources Ive came across, Dragons are deeply involved in this manacycle shit and even in metaplanes. In such case, separating this kind of entities from mechanism that keeps them on the TOP during the whole curve of mana flow, well, breakc the concept somehow...on the other side, maybe that`s just today`s mood of mine that Im poking in this

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #313 on: <04-10-12/0806:42> »
Dragons aren't spirits, however. They are living, breathing creatures, who just happen to be bigger, stronger, more intelligent, older, and tougher than you will ever be. And unlike other Name-givers, they get stronger the older they get. Their abilities fall into two categories. They have their racial abilities (same as elves have low-light vision, and trolls have natural armor), and they have their magical abilities (spellcasting and conjuring). Just as a troll doesn't get any stronger when there's a background count, neither does a dragon's hide get thicker. A dragon's hide is thick because he's been growing it for a few thousand years.

Yes, dragons could be brought down with magic during the Earthdawn period. But it took a lot of magic, even at the height of the mana cycle. Even Great Dragons could be killed. Of course, it took an airship that was basically a chunk of mountain held aloft by magic, with a small army of magicians and people using magical cannons, but yes, Great Dragons were killed. And they could be killed in Shadowrun, too. It is difficult for metahumans to kill Dragons, even the normal kind, but it is possible. Could Sirrurg, Lofwyr, or Hestaby be killed? Of course. Could metahumans do it? Certainly. Would it take an army? Most definitely.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #314 on: <04-10-12/0844:14> »
Alamais surviving orbital laser bombardment is a travesty.