NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #210 on: <02-15-11/2223:40> »
*bump*

Just to bring this topic back to root heading....

Does nobody think Shadowrun is scary enough without Horror influences from the deep metaplanes :o ??? :'(?

I'll be happy, very happy, SUPERLATIVELY happy if my runners, team, mentors and everybody I ever meet in the SR universe NEVER have to deal with these things...

MY ED characters will NEVER recover from their Horror encounters, and I'd prefer for those Lovecraftian terrors to remain buried in the 4th Age, thank-you very much....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #211 on: <02-15-11/2342:32> »
Too tired to remember exactly what, but something seemed strange or funny about Horrors arriving and magic increasing...maybe something about wondering about the strength/threat - mana correlation charts, comparing the curves of Humans and Horrors (sounds like a D&D knockoff).  Heh, if the mama levels rise enough, do we start playing Exalted?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #212 on: <02-15-11/2347:08> »
Heh, if the mama levels rise enough, do we start playing Exalted?
Can you imagine how pissed off all those Immortal elves would be if some human achieved their equivalent Path of Kings process in 50 years with a higher mana level?

There would be some VERY pissed off Princes in the Tir  :o

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #213 on: <02-16-11/0645:09> »
Not really. The mana level still has a long way to to to make that possible.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #214 on: <02-16-11/0746:31> »
Not really. The mana level still has a long way to to to make that possible.
Hence the word ...'...if...'  :P

Phreak Commandment V:

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #215 on: <02-16-11/0900:14> »
Too tired to remember exactly what, but something seemed strange or funny about Horrors arriving and magic increasing...maybe something about wondering about the strength/threat - mana correlation charts, comparing the curves of Humans and Horrors (sounds like a D&D knockoff).  Heh, if the mama levels rise enough, do we start playing Exalted?
I'm sure you meant "mana."  ;D

IMO, Earthdawn is a better game than Exalted.  Don't get me wrong, Exalted is ridiculous amounts of fun to play, it's even some fun to run.  It's so over-the-top fun that one can't help but be captivated by it.

But Earthdawn did the high-magic-prehistory thing first and better.  Sure the core game system is heavy on crunch (but then, so is Exalted when you add in all the books for different Exalts), but the core ideals are very similar to Shadowrun.  There are large forces working in the background, but the players can affect those forces, even if it is only a small impact.  The difference between SR and ED is the high mana level.

Adepts in the 4th world can get insanely powerful, even to epic, change the face of the world powerful.  But they start at roughly the same strength as mundanes.  it's only the higher Circles that allow adepts to run roughshod over mundanes.  This power also lets them take down, or have a chance at taking down, many of the Horrors that are present in the world.

But no one comes along and tells them "it's your destiny" and grants them power, or some crap like that.  En Exalted, the character is unique and potent because someone else said so, not because of anything on the character's part.  In ED, when the character gets powerful and earth-shaking, it's because THEY became that way.  "I am King by my own hand!"

That's why I prefer ED.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #216 on: <02-16-11/0939:10> »
Yeah, I meant mana, mamajama.  Typing on a Droid is rough; autocorrect is overzealous, and pressing new line tends to crash the browser.  I've only played Exalted once, and I haven't played Earthdawn; I mean to, but I kinda spent my book budget on Shadowrun already.  I can see what you mean, but don't you have to be a hero to get Exalted, and don't you have to be born an Adept?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #217 on: <02-16-11/0949:51> »

And there are some open stories in the books especially in Big D's will, i.e. that thing with the vaccination for newborns...
To the corporations and governments of the world, I leave the formula for an infant vaccination that should be administered to all children born after 31 October 2060.
What did Big D wanted to prevent? And did it happened like he wanted? Since not all people live their life inside the corporate or goverment controlled society... Maybe a new form of invasion another kind of spirit? Thinking about Shedims or Imps and such...

spoiler spoiler

this issue was resolved in a novel : the forever drug by lisa smedman. apparently, the vaccine is meant to activate the longevity genome in all metahumanity, they would live forever unless killed via the usual methods...

the vaccination plan failed due to a run resulting int the destruction of the factory/ doctors/ loss of data...  nothing was left aside.
lofwyr was said to be behind it ....

sorry for the

Seems like shit to me:
To "governments and corporations": Means that there is much more that just one lab or copy of data. Its hard to believe that anyone is abble to run full world scale operation to eradicate this knowledge...even in times, when anyone is able to catch Pax etc.
Lowfyr should have it on memory crystal, although he wouldn share it with metahumanity, I suppose, I hope that this statement ont be part of official setting and would bring some surprise in the future...
Other argument:
Even Big D would hardly be pleased by world full of almost immortal metahumans plundering resources and keeping the nativity levels high...
« Last Edit: <02-16-11/1122:30> by Sichr »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #218 on: <02-16-11/1028:40> »
Yeah, I meant mana, mamajama.  Typing on a Droid is rough; autocorrect is overzealous, and pressing new line tends to crash the browser.  I've only played Exalted once, and I haven't played Earthdawn; I mean to, but I kinda spent my book budget on Shadowrun already.  I can see what you mean, but don't you have to be a hero to get Exalted, and don't you have to be born an Adept?
In Exalted, there is a god of Exaltation.  While the gods have standards as to their choices, those standards apply to many people.  So, basically, the god has to like you enough to exalt you.

In the 4th world (Earthdawn), the mana level is so high that fully 5% of the population are adepts (and here, spellcasters are included in the title "adept").  Many, many more people are what are called "half-magic" adepts.  Meaning that they have some magical ability, but it is limited and specific (i.e. you may know some farming magic, or some carpenter magic).  This isn't just those born with the gift, the different adepts are called Disciplines because of the intense mental focus required to harness their abilities.  Basically, if you focus on the correct mental framework, you can tie the core ideal of the Discipline to yourself to become a member of that Discipline.

Compare to the 6th world of Shadowrun, where only about 1% of the population can use any magic at all (and the percent of the population that are full adepts and magicians is even smaller).  This is the difference in mana levels between the games.  ED is on the downslope of the mana cycle (after the Horrors invaded) whereas SR is on the beginning of the upslope (before the Horrors invade).
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #219 on: <02-16-11/1749:59> »
Compare to the 6th world of Shadowrun, where only about 1% of the population can use any magic at all (and the percent of the population that are full adepts and magicians is even smaller).  This is the difference in mana levels between the games.  ED is on the downslope of the mana cycle (after the Horrors invaded) whereas SR is on the beginning of the upslope (before the Horrors invade).
And unless you're playing an immortal PC-race, they shouldn't affect your Shadowrun game for another, what, two-thousand years?

I'm good with that timeframe!

Phreak Commandment V:

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #220 on: <02-17-11/0613:18> »
I'm good with that timeframe!

Positive...

Morg

« Reply #221 on: <02-18-11/0423:21> »
one wonders about areas like Abilene and Auschwitz they have a domain rating of about 6 I don't think it would be that difficult to push it just a little farther, at the vary least I can see some horror constructs passing their time there until it gets a little bump

Side Track: could you image a recreation of the Nazi Thule society (Thule-Gesellschaft) using the power of Auschwitz to call on the "prophesied reformer of Germany) with a horror construct as mentor spirit (visions of hellboy)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #222 on: <02-18-11/0624:58> »
No, not really. I'd rather see Auschwitz left alone. There are places more suitable to the Enemy's needs.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #223 on: <02-18-11/0734:11> »
Yeah, Nazi Orichalcum doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Nazi Gold.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #224 on: <02-18-11/0805:42> »
I was thinking more about the Auschwitz part. As for any pulp-style nazi occult stuff, with werewolves, vampires, zombies, and such - that's okay with me. :)