NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #150 on: <01-09-11/0805:47> »
Yes, but Horizon plays the 'we're not the bad guys' line. And Ares plays the 'we have guns, and we will use them to protect you' line. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #151 on: <01-09-11/1030:31> »
And they - all on the Corporate Court - play the 'we know what's best for the world' line . . .

MK Ultra

• Newb
« Reply #152 on: <01-10-11/0859:18> »
Knight most likely knows about the bug-hybrids. This was the thing between him and Roger Soaring Owl (ex-Knight Errant boss) who recently left Ares. Big Dīs advice might also have to do with Knight investing much into SpaceOps (in fact might have something to do with Kights choice to buy into Ares - the guns&space-corp - in the first place, but I wouildnīt go that far).

As for cost & benifit of bug-hunting - they did some good (and some bad) PR out of it and also a lot of UCAS (and presumably other) money. If you have a bug-problem, you will most likely turn to KE. But it is still a straign obviously, bug-hybrids are just one way they try to get the most out of it. That said, SR economy -as any rpg, though maybe better then most- was never compleatly straight. Plus it might not be that much extra-money, just a bit extra for thair regular security-services expenses.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #153 on: <01-10-11/0903:09> »
He might be getting paid in good PR, which is harder to assign a value.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #154 on: <01-10-11/0923:47> »
Big Dīs advice might also have to do with Knight investing much into SpaceOps (in fact might have something to do with Kights choice to buy into Ares - the guns&space-corp - in the first place, but I wouildnīt go that far).
Blood in the boardroom, page 54
Knight led Ares to even greater heights of prosperity than it had previously seen. In addiion to the continued success of AresSpace, Knight made the Ares Arms division a primary moneymaker, created the enormously successful Knight Errant Security division and greatl expanded Ares international operations in the meantime.
Actually, Ares wasn't that big in the armament industry before. At least not in guns and ammo, since space assets like satellites sure use to suck a large part of defense budgets.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #155 on: <01-10-11/0945:49> »
And don't forget Firewatch - that's a lot of surprisingly good PR.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Morg

« Reply #156 on: <01-10-11/1632:22> »
Anyone have a list of all types of horrors from ED I could never get any up here in  Canuck land   :'(

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #157 on: <01-10-11/1654:20> »
How much do you want?  Stats and all?  Or just the names and maybe a brief description?

Morg

« Reply #158 on: <01-10-11/1758:39> »
How much do you want?  Stats and all?  Or just the names and maybe a brief description?

Names and a brief description would be great monkey

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #159 on: <01-10-11/2340:59> »
I'm not sure we could list all the different types of Horrors, as they are numerous.  Some general categories, however, might be helpful.

First are Horror Constructs.  These are life forms either created, or altered, by a Horror to suit a specific need.  In most cases, this is a type of feeding (despair, terror, revulsion, etc.).  In some, they are simply the minions the Horror unleashes to achieve more physical goals.

Minor Horrors are minor not in power, but in goals.  These often can devastate a region, but are satisfied with such small locales as a single town or village or a specific region.  Crystal entities, for example, take up shop inside a building or structure, altering it to resemble a brilliant crystalline version of the locale and then terrorizing the locals.

Major or Named Horrors tend to not think so small, even if their power level is relatively low ("low" in this case being something a group of Journeyman adepts could defeat, or an experienced shadowrunning team).  These being think in terms of "the big picture" and use their powers to maximum advantage.  Nebis is a good example of this (NebisNebisNEBIS).  He is frail compared to other Named Horrors, but his goal is the corruption and destruction of the sanity of all peoples.  Nebis is an exception, though, as most major or Named Horrors have vast amounts of power, beyond the likes of even an experienced group of adepts or the best group of Prime Runners Shadowrun has to offer.  Even great dragons are prey to some of these beings.

Some Horrors exist solely on one plane or another: the astral or the physical.  The purely physical ones tend to be more brutish, but that is a generalization since there are several major Horrors that are purely physical that are as skilled in planning and manipulation as any dragon (or great, for that matter).  Nemesis, who created a special academy to train adepts and corrupt them to produce an army loyal to itself is an example of this "type."

Some Horrors exist soley on the astral plane.  These beings affect the world indirectly:  they can only mark and affect things on the physical plane through specific means.  They are, however, extraordinarily dangerous as ONLY adepts capable of either entering or affecting the astral can directly combat them.  This makes them virtually untouchable, as these beings are quite aware of their advantage and exploit it to the utmost.  Examples include Aazvaat Many Eyes, who curses victims through Horror Marked items and slowly drives them insane, or Chantrel's Horror (named after the Troubador Chantrel, with whom this Horror is most closely associated), who doesen't attack the victim it has marked, but it's friends and loved ones.  Chantrel's Horror uses those memories of loss and the horror of knowing that the victim brought death to her loved ones and turns the volume up to 11.

And lastly, for this post, are the Horrors that exist as both astral and physical entities.  These beings have two bodies, and killing one only inconveniences the Horror.  The body that survives can create, or birth or whatever, another version of itself into the other plane.  Their astral and physical forms don't even have to be near each other.  Thus killing one only ensure that the entity will be more cautious in dealing with its "killers" the next time.  Sometimes, it uses its "death" to mark the victims and torment them later, at its leisure.  NebisNebisNEBIS, mentioned earlier, is of this type and pulls this trick often.

Does that help, Morg?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #160 on: <01-10-11/2344:10> »
I, on the other hand, would love stats too

Morg

« Reply #161 on: <01-11-11/0703:48> »
Does that help, Morg?

Yes it has is there a more comprehensive list of named horrors?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #162 on: <01-11-11/0858:50> »
In the Horrors sourcebook for Earthdawn. Or in Third Edition's Gamemaster's Companion.

Morg

« Reply #163 on: <01-11-11/0905:30> »
In the Horrors sourcebook for Earthdawn. Or in Third Edition's Gamemaster's Companion.

I have nether Kot, any suggestions as to where I may find a link of some kind?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #164 on: <01-11-11/0914:21> »
any stats you get from earthdawn will proberbly not be greatly usefull in shadowrun. Whilst there is shared history and links between the two they are however seperate in very real terms of mechanics.

*linited reading of Earthdawn has given this impression but as with all things you can muddle through
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"