NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #495 on: <02-01-13/1615:37> »
My take is that it's close to the Cthulhu mythos, every horror is different. Different in appearance, attitude and hunger. And frag if I don't won't to run into something that scares the drek out of Lofwyr.

I'm gonna shoot it.

Though, upon reading Gun nut's description, it would appear Horror's are parasitic netherworld imps at best, and Incubi (Ala Ink) at worst. I'm probably lacking perspective on these things, but is their real threat from shear numbers over their individual strength? Don't get me wrong, some of these sound, bad. But so do toxic and insect spirits.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #496 on: <02-01-13/1759:20> »
My take is that it's close to the Cthulhu mythos, every horror is different. Different in appearance, attitude and hunger. And frag if I don't won't to run into something that scares the drek out of Lofwyr.

I'm gonna shoot it.

Though, upon reading Gun nut's description, it would appear Horror's are parasitic netherworld imps at best, and Incubi (Ala Ink) at worst. I'm probably lacking perspective on these things, but is their real threat from shear numbers over their individual strength? Don't get me wrong, some of these sound, bad. But so do toxic and insect spirits.
You're very, very wrong. To tell you how wrong you are, I'll just point out that the insect spirits are just as scared of Horrors as you should be. Why? Because Horrors never get full. They're always looking for new prey, and spirits of all types are perfectly acceptable food for them.

Some horrors are relatively weak except when present in groups (of course, those ones tend to be found in swarms, so...), but the stronger horrors are the kinds that make the Balrog in the Fellowship of the Ring look cute and cuddly. Beyond their abilities (which are extensive, and sometimes so subtle you won't notice until it is too late), their presence corrupts the astral plane for centuries. If you are Marked by a Horror, then that Horror can control you, and it makes you susceptible to control from other Horrors as well. And this is just the unNamed horrors. Named Horrors are on another level altogether, much like how immortal elves and great dragons are on a different level. Among these Named Horrors, there are ones that cannot be defeated unless you kill the 7 or so people scattered around the world that it has marked, ones that kill anyone their chosen prey has gotten close to, and ones that the very mention of their Names sends Immortal Elves and Great Dragons into a panic. Let us be perfectly clear. There are Horrors that even Ghostwalker, who is almost certainly the strongest Great Dragon at this point, both in his personal abilities and his use of spirits, would turn tail and flee from at the rumor of Its coming, rather than defend even his most prized lair.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #497 on: <02-01-13/1830:53> »
You don't have to make it personal, if  you didn't know, I'm actually quite out of the loop on everything magical related in shadowrun. My solution would be shoot it, in game, because I would know even less in character. So yeah, the horrors sound bad, I get that.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #498 on: <02-01-13/1934:19> »
You don't have to make it personal, if  you didn't know, I'm actually quite out of the loop on everything magical related in shadowrun. My solution would be shoot it, in game, because I would know even less in character. So yeah, the horrors sound bad, I get that.

The major Horror's are individually powerful enough to scare the living hell out of all the greats and IE's.  They even corrupted some Passions (read: gods) as I understand it.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #499 on: <02-01-13/1948:22> »
Neat, so they're Incubi with large collared capes then?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #500 on: <02-01-13/1955:03> »
Neat, so they're Incubi with large collared capes then?

I'm not sure if the major Horrors even have defined forms.  And no, they're not Incubi - they feed off of specific forms of pain and suffering at that point; such as the one that got an entire city full of people to slaughter each other.

Of course, I have purely second-hand information.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #501 on: <02-02-13/0205:45> »
Capes with big collars is just a trope of extra evil characters, like Nosforatu and the like, and I'm thinking more of the incubi from Ink. They would rearrange your life, at multiple points in time simultaneously so you would fall to them after you die. Which sounds like what some of these Horrors can do, though I'm not sure about the quantum time travel, existing in multiple time spaces thing bit.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #502 on: <02-02-13/0212:09> »
Capes with big collars is just a trope of extra evil characters, like Nosforatu and the like, and I'm thinking more of the incubi from Ink. They would rearrange your life, at multiple points in time simultaneously so you would fall to them after you die. Which sounds like what some of these Horrors can do, though I'm not sure about the quantum time travel, existing in multiple time spaces thing bit.

They corrupt the living into serving them.  Death is not part of the general equation.  They don't need to rearrange your life, either.

The level of operation your talking about is mostly possible in the current mana level.  The Horrors can't enter the world until near the peak, because that's how much power they have.  They are far, far, far, far, far beyond that kind of power.  If they somehow showed up in 2075, that's it for absolutely everything on Earth and every nearby metaplane - and only the lucky ones would be dead.
« Last Edit: <02-02-13/0215:22> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #503 on: <02-02-13/0305:21> »
That sounds pretty apocalyptic, I mean, what's the point of introducing a force like that? That doesn't seem like anything all the runners in the world could appose, as if the corporate back ally dealings and organ leggers weren't abysmal enough. I mean, there's the sun will blow up in a few billion years, but in just a few hundred HP Lovecraft shows up and kills everyone from here to parallel neptune, and there's nothin you can do about it. Why do that?

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #504 on: <02-02-13/0354:08> »
That sounds pretty apocalyptic, I mean, what's the point of introducing a force like that? That doesn't seem like anything all the runners in the world could appose, as if the corporate back ally dealings and organ leggers weren't abysmal enough. I mean, there's the sun will blow up in a few billion years, but in just a few hundred HP Lovecraft shows up and kills everyone from here to parallel neptune, and there's nothin you can do about it. Why do that?

On a run-to-run level, nobody knows about it.

On a metaplot/game design level, it's a signpost.  Way, way, WAY down the road.   No runner 'currently' alive will live to see IF it happens, even if they die of old age.

It's debatable whether it actually has been introduced at all.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #505 on: <02-02-13/0414:59> »

There's a couple old adventures about people trying to bring them through early (Harlequin stuff, I think; pretty sure that was why the Big D arranged his death at the time and in the manner he did), and a of indications that the Azzies might be doing something like that, but any interference aside it's centuries off.  For the most part, all it currently affects is the long game of the great dragons and immortal elves.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #506 on: <02-02-13/0438:05> »

Apocalyptic. Yes. Last time Horrors wlak the Earth, it was called Scourge.Those in underground vaults had been living in fear for centuries, and the surface was wiped ou of living beings, with a few exceptios (read Thorn Elves IMO). Yeah. That sounds pretty apocalyptic.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #507 on: <02-02-13/0459:31> »
I dunno, I've always hated literary ... tropes, cliches, some word like that - for, the bad shit comes, and everyone was helpless and there's nothing you can possibly do because they have this and this and this, Kind of stuff. Probably why I hate GW fluff so much. I mean, it doesn't even sound like point for all the corps to unite (Except Aztechnology) to stop it kind of thing, but I mean, they might not be around in 400 years or however long it will be.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #508 on: <02-02-13/0604:53> »
Corps united front heh. That sounds almost like Great Dragons united.
Read: Not going to happen :p

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #509 on: <02-02-13/0619:12> »
I dunno, I've always hated literary ... tropes, cliches, some word like that - for, the bad shit comes, and everyone was helpless and there's nothing you can possibly do because they have this and this and this, Kind of stuff. Probably why I hate GW fluff so much. I mean, it doesn't even sound like point for all the corps to unite (Except Aztechnology) to stop it kind of thing, but I mean, they might not be around in 400 years or however long it will be.

Tropes are not cliches - they're literary tools, and it falls to the writer to use them well.  There is no work that does not contain any trope, intentionally or otherwise.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites