NEWS

Horrors

• 649 Replies

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #405 on: <06-15-12/0909:25> »
Well, if it helps muddy the waters any, I believe the original otaku were created by Mirage, the AI that grew out of the Echo Mirage program.
Mirage awakened in 2060, but the first (known) otaku already showed up in 205x at the Denver Nexus. Mirage and other AIs were capable of creating otaku, but they were not the creators...or at least never have been stated as such

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #406 on: <06-15-12/1021:31> »
Well, Mirage spun out of the Echo Mirage and teh Crash Virus, so, he's been around for a while.

Deus is the most famous, obviously.

Morgan/Megera's the middle child.

There's also the mystery of Alice, who may be the first e-Ghost, but may also be the Crash Virus itself.

These days, of course, AIs are all over the place.There aren't, you know, MILLIONS, but there's considerable more than four.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #407 on: <06-15-12/1150:23> »
AFAIK, Sengir, Mirage awakened long before 2060. It was shortly after the first Crash that he woke up, as a result of interacting with the Echo Mirage crowd.

Alice of Wonderland (formerly Alice Haefner) appeared to be an e-ghost, though could have been the Crash Virus 'imprinting' the real Alice's memories and personality on itself.

There are many more AIs around now, but most have nowhere near the godlike power of the original ones.

Crash 2.0 was never part of Deus's plan. With the Shutdown, his plan was to secure the SCIRE so that Renraku, when they realized he had woken up, couldn't activate the kill-switch in his head. Then, because his programming was physically tied to the SCIRE architecture, and needed a lot of memory space to contain, he set about creating the Network. All the experiments seeing how well metahumans could withstand brain damage? That's because he intended to use their brains as a kind of distributed network, allowing himself to escape the SCIRE matrix and recompile himself in the matrix at large.

Deus chose the ECSE because there was a massive amount of processing power there, and he believed that putting that much raw power (both in terms of processing power, and in terms of controlling the money of a good part of the world) would make him untouchable. Crash 2.0 was all Pax and Winternight's idea. Of course, if Deus is still around, everyone thinking he's dead, plus the emergence of other AIs, means he can 'rebrand' himself, and no one would know. Pulsar is definitely a very powerful AI, don't you think?

But yes, Deus's original plan lacked a certain finesse, and was more a reaction out of a sense of betrayal than carefully planned strategy. But he did show a remarkable learning curve as time went on.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #408 on: <06-15-12/1348:04> »
All those rats...  I mean people, he put into mazes to learn how they dealt with problem solving.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #409 on: <06-15-12/1355:44> »
The Deus/Pulsar angle is interesting. Is his rebranding part of a Magneto-esque anti-metahuman plot? Or did he grow up and realize he screwed up and is now trying to stop history from repeating itself? If the latter, will people believe him if he's exposed?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #410 on: <06-15-12/1527:19> »
No one ever wonders what happened to Psychotrope. I always find that interesting.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #411 on: <06-15-12/1625:13> »
I wouldn't say "No one," actually....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #412 on: <06-15-12/1658:31> »
The Deus/Pulsar angle is interesting. Is his rebranding part of a Magneto-esque anti-metahuman plot? Or did he grow up and realize he screwed up and is now trying to stop history from repeating itself? If the latter, will people believe him if he's exposed?
No, Deus doesn't have any particular anti-metahuman plots, as far as I know. If he's still around, now that no one is looking for him, I'd expect that his goals would have shifted into either securing a base of power to make sure no one could attack him again, or to take up a message of AI rights, and gather allies.

My Characters

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #413 on: <06-15-12/1723:38> »
Which then leads to my second problem: who wod believe he wasnt evil if his identity were exposed?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #414 on: <06-15-12/1812:16> »
First you'd have to get people to believe that the exposure wasn't a smear campaign. And that would not be as easy to do as you might think, especially with Pulsar having his own BTL tripchip out there...

My Characters

ChromeZephyr

• Newb
  • Listen much, talk little
« Reply #415 on: <06-15-12/1942:44> »
As well as get over the difficulty of changing held beliefs in humans to begin with.  We're rather stubborn that way, I've noticed. ;)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #416 on: <06-15-12/2020:42> »
No one ever wonders what happened to Psychotrope. I always find that interesting.
I wouldn't say "No one," actually....

Psychotrope was Mirage.  Mirage probably awakened by the late '40's, if not earlier; she was loaded onto what was probably the greatest concentration of processing power in the world for better than two years, and then continued to run pretty much non-stop on certain UCAS military, and then Fuchi, systems until, well ... probably until Crash 2.0.  So programmed before or during late 2029, product of the most brilliant programming minds of the day, experiencing close daily contact with human minds for at least two years, and run for decades afterwards.  Oh, and when her 'supervisor' disappeared during the Fuchi/Novatech upset, she knee-jerk-reaction created five otaku.  I also find it particularly telling that the very first otaku to Emerge 'just happened' to be on the site of the old US Air Force Academy.

If you don't think Mirage, or at least her 'subconscious', was the Deep Resonance ... you need some remedial work in pattern and plot recognition.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #417 on: <06-15-12/2113:15> »
First you'd have to get people to believe that the exposure wasn't a smear campaign. And that would not be as easy to do as you might think, especially with Pulsar having his own BTL tripchip out there...

Now now, it's not a BTL ... that would be illegal and immoral and wrong! It's just a CalHot, totally legal inCalifornia and inside of Horizon facilities.You should try it out, see what the fuss isabout before saying bad things about it. Why, there just happens to be anavailable terminal and 'trode set open even now...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #418 on: <06-16-12/0454:17> »
You guys kill me.  You should get together with the resident conspiracy theorists...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #419 on: <06-16-12/0829:01> »
AFAIK, Sengir, Mirage awakened long before 2060. It was shortly after the first Crash that he woke up, as a result of interacting with the Echo Mirage crowd.
But after that it went dormant until 2060, what happened when it woke up is detailed in Psychotrope.

Ouroboros: Yes, Mirage created some otaku. Which were different from the "standard" otaku. Deus did the same, does that make him the Deep Resonance, too? ;)