NEWS

The Tarrasque (Light machine Gun)

• 26 Replies

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« on: <07-20-12/1553:59> »
Hi, I need some help making sure this thing is kosher.
     What I need are help from all of you to make sure it's components are "balanced". Is the price too high/low, the availability/legality or any other suggestions you might have. Since there are no creation rules for guns I will be basing this weapon on items in the books. I’ll note the one that I use at the top of the entry. Just the base stats will be used, not the accessories, and prices will be based off the base item, Unless the prices are just ridiculous then I will use my judgment. Here ya go.

Yes. It's supposed to sound like a sales brochure.
I'm making up weapons to present to my GM. He decided that my stock portfolio has gained me a good sized interest in a small arms factory. So I'm preparing designs for them. I'll be posting the others soon and would like help there also. thank you all for your time.
     Also, none of this art is mine. I found it on the net and modified it when necessary, probably poorly, and is not meant for infringement.

The Tarrasque (Light machine Gun)
(Based on the GE Vindicator Minigun from Arsenal pg. 29.)

Standard Upgrades/Accessories: Smartlink, Gas Vents (3), Electronic firing (inherent), Heavy barrel, trigger removal / Hip brace, Ammo box, Gyro mount system.

Damage        AP      Mode          RC            Ammo       Avail               Cost
    6P              -1        FA*           12             250 (belt)     16F          10,000Y
(The fixed rate of fire is 15 rnds per complex action, not 10.)

The Tarrasque, named for the mythological creature known for its destructive capabilities on an absolute scale, lives up to its name.
     The mini-gun has always been a feared weapon, from the unique whir it emits when it “spools up” to the swaths of destruction left in its wake. The only thing holding these weapons back is the tremendous amount of recoil these systems inflict upon the user.
     In the Tarrasque GI has made a true weapons System. We completely removed most of the moving parts of the gun for a spark firing system. We refit the barrels with XL heavy versions and customized them with a patented Gas venting system. Then we integrated our Stable-Max gyro mount into the gun, along with a hip pad. Together, the Tarrasque System makes THE smoothest firing fully auto weapon on the market today.
     Lastly, we improved the "ready time" that former mini-guns had to deal with.  With the retooling of the internals to a fully electronic chassis and the DNI interaction of the on board Smartlink, the "Spool Up" time has been reduced to almost an instant on. We have also removed the, heavy, High density Battery core and replaced it with a Peak Discharge pack for easier recharge and longevity in the field.

For a truly monstrous showing with this gun, our field testers recommend our new “Diamond Dart” AP flechette ammunition.

(Getting into the Gyro-mount Harness takes 5 minutes. Getting out is a complex action to release the quick release. The spin up time for this weapon is 1 free Action. The Peak discharge pack uses 1 charge per combat round of operation. (no fractions. One action or multiple actions in the round, as long as it is fired once it uses a power point. but only one point per round))

EDIT: The edits for the gun are in Red, or inside the red brackets.
« Last Edit: <07-24-12/0950:47> by DarkLloyd »
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-20-12/2343:33> »
So it's a Vindicator with more built in modifications.  I recommend against it coming with a gyromount not due to any balance reasons, but because a gyromount system is something you wear.  It seems weird to have a gun soldered onto the harass rather than using the normal mounting.  I'll remove the built in mount for that reason.

Other than that, it's got built in Gas Vents 3, Smartlink, EF, Heavy Barrel, and comes with a hip brace.  The ammo box isn't needed.  It can just take a belt and it seems most belts are 250 rounds in the SR world. 

To replicate this firearm you'll just slap on Gas Vents 3 on the barrel, external smartlink on the top, mod on EF & Heavy Barrel, and finish with a hip brace.  That's about 7500Y worth of mods.  It's mainly because Heavy Barrel is so much as expensive weapons.  Since all of these features are actually useful, I'll keep the price the same.  Most of the time feature heavy firearms cost more than their more plain peers but not as much as the mods would.

There is one last question that is extremely important.  Does the Tarrasque has a spin up time like the Vindicator?  If it does, it's just a high-end Vindicator.  If it doesn't, it's way better than the Vindicator.  However since the spin up time is one of the fatal flaws of the Vindicator, I suspect it'll make the Tarrasque an useful heavy weapons platform with the normal drawbacks of using a heavy weapon.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-12/2359:41> »
Thank you Tsuzua. To try and answer your questions:

1. The gyro mount was integrated to compensate for the massive recoil penalty this thing has, and as a marketing ploy. That, theoretically, gives it a leg up on the Vindicator that basically has to be vehicle mounted to be of any real use to anyone. But it is also one of the flaws of this gun. you can't just pull this thing out and wail on some gangers, you have to take the time to get into the harness. Which takes 5 minutes.....You have to Plan to use this.

2. The ammo box is there to hold the belted ammo and "self contain" it in the gun, so a back pack isn't needed to hold the belted ammo like it normally is.

3. And, No. I pictured the electronic firing parts to be able to negate that particular flaw. I would like input from others on this, but I was thinking that would eliminate the spool up. Annnd it looks like I forgot to add that part in to the description like I was going to. I wrote these over multiple breaks at work and was short on space on the page so I may have just over looked that part.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-12/0358:27> »
Given the fluff, I really think you should re-stat the thing a little and upgrade it to a HMG, rather than a LMG.

Other than that... groovy.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Charasanya

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-21-12/0922:16> »
It sure looks like machine guns don't really come any heavier then this, so I have to go with the Dude here.

But did you draw that picture yourself? Its amazing!!! :D

The Laughing One

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-21-12/1427:46> »
It looks like its ment to be man-portable - so I'll advise to stick with the light machine gun class, but add a built-in High-power chambering. Because a big name need big bullets. Perhaps add some "special chambering" that add some inherent recoil compensation, but make sure to up the price by far.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <07-21-12/1524:37> »
you said it is a mini gun so by that you contradict your self no ofence but if it look like a mini gun fire like one and you call it one why call it lmg , after all the two  ar not the same?
« Last Edit: <07-21-12/1536:14> by redwolf »
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #7 on: <07-21-12/1527:20> »
Redwolf has a point. If it's an LMG, it's more like an MG42. What you have here is a bonified, Terminator-style minigun.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-21-12/2309:56> »
Okay. Good feedback guys. I'll address you in order.

Dude: the point really was to have a Man portable gun, a HMG version of this I don't think would be portable by anyone other than a big troll or a drone. But i might make an HMG version now.  thanks.

Charasanya: Nope. Not my pic and I make no claims to it. These are all pics I stumble across while I'm working or sifting for art. I really should get better at trying to catch the artists names but usually as I'm finding these I don't have a lot of time.

The Laughing One: Right in one, on the portability. And as for the Hi power chambering, well that would have gone against the "marketing" of this thing by giving it an extra +2 recoil to try and manage. The whole point to this thing was to give customers the heavy firepower with dependable accuracy. Also I really like the idea of loading this with the AP flechettes, which I couldn't do with the HI power, and hitting people with 22P and them rolling their Impact armor against it......... ;D

redwolf & Arkangel: Since you guys have basically the same question here goes. It's an LMG because there is no "Mini-gun" category. The only mini-gun we have in the books is the GE Vindicator Mini-gun, which this is based on, and it's listed in the LMG section........
Also the mini-gun in terminator2 was the same gun used by Jessie Ventura in Predator, who btw was the first person ever to stand and fire one of those at least for the movies, and that mini-gun is the GE Vindicator Mini-gun in SR.

Thanks you guys have given me some things to think about, now how do you guys feel about the Price and the availability? Do those need changing? There was nothing to really give any indications on how availability "stacks" when making these. so most of this was just guess work on all these items i put up.

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <07-21-12/2354:49> »
Redwolf, ArkangelWinter, I'd point out that the Vindicator Mini-Gun is, in fact, also an LMG.

LMG refers to the class of bullets that the weapon fires, not the firing mechanism. You can have minigun LMGs, and non-minigun LMGs.

I personally consider Shadowrun LMGs to fire the same ammo as Assault Rifles, MMGs to fire Battle Rifle calibers, and HMGs to be in the .50 caliber range.

-k

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-22-12/0029:30> »
I personally consider Shadowrun LMGs to fire the same ammo as Assault Rifles, MMGs to fire Battle Rifle calibers, and HMGs to be in the .50 caliber range.

That is how they're generally done in the real world, so it's likely still the case in the 2070s.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #11 on: <07-22-12/0142:26> »
Could you post this Diamond Dart ammunition, please? I want to see what makes it so special.

Also, I like your descriptions, ot really sounds like the old Street Sam Catalog returned.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-22-12/0225:46> »
Could you post this Diamond Dart ammunition, please? I want to see what makes it so special.

He said it was "AP flechette", which I assume would mean that it has the same stats as the Armor-Piercing Flechette ammo from the War book. It's probably just a brand name for that company's line of AP(f) ammo, like how "Black Talon" was the name of Winchester's line of hollow points.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <07-22-12/0226:33> »
sorry but lmg is not cal it is kg&g IRL and a gun that need a giro to shoot is not light i know it is Q&M but that the way the i lernd .lmg you carry by hand and strap, mmg you need at last two to carry and shoot, hmg is moved by car and so on . no offence ment
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-22-12/0227:09> »

He said it was "AP flechette", which I assume would mean that it has the same stats as the Armor-Piercing Flechette ammo from the War book. It's probably just a brand name for that company's line of AP(f) ammo, like how "Black Talon" was the name of Winchester's line of hollow points.

Dikoted AP Flechette using the new 2050 book?  ::)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen