NEWS

Dunkelzahn and Hestaby

• 127 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #120 on: <09-24-13/1518:26> »
With the way dragons think, I wouldn't be suprised if you could link some of these events to Big D's will, (I know my fanboy is showing).

RA:S had an adventure linking his will to Deus. Room 1835 was a trapdoor access point into its UV Host.

SpyroD

• Newb
« Reply #121 on: <09-24-13/1742:05> »
At us. Trust me.    >:(

Oh pfew! For a moment I though he's laughing ON us

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #122 on: <09-24-13/1752:05> »
Which puts you pretty permanently into the player camp, alas.  The GM mindset requires a lot more flexibility.
First of all, Ouch. Let's keep things civil please.
Secondly, I have and do GM sucessfully. However I require slightly more realism in my plot than a nonsensical nano-virus that would require in excess of 19 figures to deploy on the scale you're listing. As I said, I'm not saying that is isn't the dragons nor that it isn't a nano-virus. I'm simply noting that if it is then total global infection is not their endgame.

-]|[-
« Last Edit: <09-24-13/1754:23> by Checkmate »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #123 on: <09-24-13/2229:45> »
Which puts you pretty permanently into the player camp, alas.  The GM mindset requires a lot more flexibility.
First of all, Ouch. Let's keep things civil please.
That was perfectly civil.  Any alienation felt is solely from you, to yourself.

Secondly, I have and do GM sucessfully. However I require slightly more realism in my plot than a nonsensical nano-virus that would require in excess of 19 figures to deploy on the scale you're listing. As I said, I'm not saying that is isn't the dragons nor that it isn't a nano-virus. I'm simply noting that if it is then total global infection is not their endgame.

My apologies - yes, one can GM successfully with the mindset you have.  What you seem to be doing is refusing to listen to any sort of explanation as to How X Can Occur - and you playing a game with dragons, magic, semi-common AI, direct brain-computer interfaces, revealed truth, etc.  My suggestion as to how this could occur (please note that I find the thought that it's the dragons, even only Celedyr and/or Eliohann, excruciatingly laughable) hinges on what is both possible and likely, given the state of Shadowrun.  Your 19-figure monetary requirement (1,234,567,890,123,456,789 - a quintillion nuyen or more, I guess) is as unrealistic as a deployment on the scale you're presuming is being talked about.

What I would suggest, should someone decide that the dragons are pursing this in their campaign, is a set of simple requirements:
  • That the broken-down remnants of the thousands of different artificial adders in common food items build up, in however minute doses, in the system;
  • That those remnants are artificial in origin, e.g. long-chain molecules, complex hydrocarbons, metals, and the like;
  • That certain designs of nanomachines can utilize these, perhaps after only simple chemical actions, to build new nanomachines;
  • That such a nano-virus would be capable of spread similar to a low- to medium-survivability biological virus, whether transmitted by physical contact (e.g. skin-skin) or airborne (e.g. sneeze);
  • That the designer really does want e-things to dominate metahumanity.

Given this list - none of which is beyond realistic, or even unlikely, given the level of nanotechnology we've seen in SR - then it's less a matter of loading food products with nano-ready build materials and less a matter of finding a scientist clever enough to utilize what's already there.

So yeah, flexibility.  And the willingness to take a wonky idea and figure out how it could be possible.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #124 on: <09-24-13/2322:30> »
Enough. This argument is essentially circular. To prevent further escalation let us simply say that you have your opinion and I have mine. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

-]|[-
« Last Edit: <09-24-13/2329:52> by Checkmate »

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #125 on: <09-28-13/0012:57> »

Alternatively, it could be more localized, in an attempt to make sure that when Horrors show up, that they do so "mostly over there", rather than uniformly distributed everywhere. Yes, I know Horrors are technically off the table due to licensing (pity the Immortal Elves never thought of that -- or did they?). Dragons should know better, but most may just not care all that much, as long as it works for a while.

There's a potentially even more plausible explanation available; were it coming from a former blood elf, it could be a nanotech alternative to the Ritual of Thorns. Stupid, but potentially effective, and someone forcing it on the unsuspecting world despite the readily apparent side effects would probably become the target for so many runs you'd have to take a number on the way in.

SpyroD

• Newb
« Reply #126 on: <09-28-13/0344:44> »

There's a potentially even more plausible explanation available; were it coming from a former blood elf, it could be a nanotech alternative to the Ritual of Thorns. Stupid, but potentially effective, and someone forcing it on the unsuspecting world despite the readily apparent side effects would probably become the target for so many runs you'd have to take a number on the way in.

Well that kind of action is one of the best way to disseminate something in SR world, do something "interesting", quietly hype it in the right canals and in the right ears without much fuss and all of sudden shadowrun teams and Elite SecOps pops everywhere trying to steal and copy it.
« Last Edit: <09-28-13/0420:26> by SpyroD »

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #127 on: <09-28-13/0353:02> »

Well that kind of action is one of the best way to disseminate something in SR world, do something "interesting", quietly hype them in the right canals and in the right ears without much fuss and all of sudden shadowrun team and Elite SecOps pops everywhere trying to steal and copy it.

Or a CZ, like in Chicago? *whistles innocently*

Not sure how to tie it into the dragons, though. Sorry for the tangent.
« Last Edit: <09-28-13/0357:41> by BetaCAV »