NEWS

Addiction Rules

• 7 Replies

Overbyte

• Omae
« on: <07-04-18/2006:17> »
So.. the addiction rules suck. We know this. And I've been meaning to take a crack at them for a while.
So here are some thoughts.. Figured I might as well get some feedback.

STARTING POINT:
1) The concept of using a substance every week for X weeks makes no sense, it should be the number of times you use the substance within a period of time (for example: using it every day for a week causes addiction).
2) Less addicting substances have a threshold on how bad the addiction can get (you can’t burnout on soycaf).
3) As a corollary to (3) more addicting substances may have a floor on addiction level (you can’t have a “mild” addiction to Kamikaze). I haven't decided on this one.

NOTE: I'm not trying to fix the issues noted in the other thread about being able to get around the addiction with Detox, or make it easy to make the rolls. I just want to start by making the addiction and kick rules make some sense and make them reasonably simple/playable.

BASIC ADDICTION RULES:

1) Taking a substance on (10 - Rating) days during a 9 day period requires an addiction roll.

Example: Drinking Soycaf (rating 1) once a day for 9 days requires 1 addiction roll at the threshold (2 in this case)
          Example: Taking Nitro (rating 9) one time in 9 days requires 1 addiction roll at the threshold (3 in this case), i.e. you can be instantly addicted
          Example: Taking Bliss (rating 5) more than 5 times within a 9 day period requires two addiction rolls at threshold 3

Option: If you don't like instant addiction you can make it (11 - Rating).

NOTE: This is the formula I'm having the most trouble with. I think it works at the high and low end but not in the middle very well.

2) The maximum addiction rating of any substance/habit is based on the threshold:
         1 = mild, 2 = moderate, 3 = severe

Example: Taking tons of Long Haul (threshold 1) can only result in a mild addiction.
          Example: Taking Kamikaze (threshold 3) can eventually result in a Severe addiction.

Option: The maximum addiction could be (Threshold + 1) so that Long Haul (1) has a maximum addiction of Moderate.
          Option: The minimum addiction could be (Threshold - 1) so Kamikaze has a minimum Moderate addiction.

3) You can only Burn Out on things that you can have a Severe addiction to.

Example: It doesn't matter how much Soycaf you drink or Long Haul you take, you can not burn out on them.
          Example: Failing an addiction roll when you already have a Severe addiction to Jazz will result in Burnout.

4) Focus addiction has a Rating = (2 + Amount of Force EXCEEDING your Magic rating.)
         A single use is one spell so sustaining is only 1 use regardless of how long it is sustained.

Option: The Rating could be a multiple of Force that exceeds Magic rating.

5) For addictions that only have a rating (or if you wish to simplify things to one value), the Threshold is 1/3 of the Rating rounded up.

Example: Using 13 points of Foci when you have a 6 Magic rating is a Rating 7 test, and a 7/3 = 3 threshold So you'd have to make an Addiction (3) test every 10 - 7 = 3 times you did this within a 9 day period.

6) Kicking any addition takes 1 week. To kick your habit you must make an addiction test at a threshold equal to your addiction level
        (1 = mild, 2 = moderate, 3 = severe, 4 = burnout) every day for (Rating) days to kick your habit.

Example: You have a moderate (2) addiction to Cram. You will need to make an Addiction (2) test every day for 1 week to kick the habit.
           Example: You have a severe (3) addiction to Kamikaze. You will need to make an Addiction (3) test every day for 1 week to kick the habit.

Note: I did a little internet research and it turns out it takes about 1 week to kick heroin or cigarettes or caffeine. Really the withdrawal symptoms get worse until around the 3-4 day mark and then get better, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

7) OPTIONAL: The Threshold for the addiction test is one less for every level you already have (minimum of 1). This would make addictions progress slower.

Example: You have a moderate (2) addiction to Cram (normal Threshold 3). Your addiction tests to see if it becomes severe are now 3 - 2 = 1.

8 ) Edge can not be used on Addiction tests.

9)  Addiction Qualities all require the addict to use once per day or suffer withdrawal, it is only the consequences of withdrawal that change with higher levels.

Interested in your thoughts.. Particularly about how to "fix" rule 1. That is the weakest link IMO.
« Last Edit: <07-05-18/0144:43> by Overbyte »
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-04-18/2330:45> »
I like where this is going.

Maybe for rule #1:
Taking a substance twice in (rating/2 or 3) days would require an addiction roll. (leaning toward 2)

Everything else except 7 is reasonable.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <07-04-18/2356:02> »
An 8/3 drug will result in a test in the old system but not here. So that's definitely something to look into.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-18/0011:09> »
i suspect the real reason we haven't seen strong push on this, is b/c people are fairly happy with RAW. As it stands unless you are using small handful of drugs you really aren't risking much, and gaining a lot.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-18/0034:29> »
I did end up with several houserules designed as far as... 2.5 years ago, apparently:
https://shadowland.blog/2015/12/15/addiction-clarification/
https://shadowland.blog/2015/12/15/addiction-houserules/

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-05-18/0111:46> »
An 8/3 drug will result in a test in the old system but not here. So that's definitely something to look into.

I'm not sure what you mean here.
An 8/3 drug results in a test for Addiction (3) if you use it twice within the 9 day period.

i suspect the real reason we haven't seen strong push on this, is b/c people are fairly happy with RAW. As it stands unless you are using small handful of drugs you really aren't risking much, and gaining a lot.

That's one of the things I don't like. You just take an addiction and it has no real downside. Or you take a drug and never have to worry.
Plus the whole concept of "use a drug for X weeks" is just fundamentally flawed. Use it how many times?

I did end up with several houserules designed as far as... 2.5 years ago, apparently:
https://shadowland.blog/2015/12/15/addiction-clarification/
https://shadowland.blog/2015/12/15/addiction-houserules/

So I read your House Rules, and there are a number of very similar rules to the ones I posted. I think I'm going to adjust mine and work some of yours in.

Rule: An Addiction’s level cannot rise past its Addiction Rating
                I use threshold, but the idea/goal is the same.
Rule: You cannot Edge Addiction Tests
                 Agreed. it would trivialize them. Adding this rule.
Rule: Additional tests if the interval is 0 or less
                 I think I already have this built in.
Rule: Addiction Threshold +1 if multiple drugs used during the same day
                 Definitely need some rule about multiple drugs being additive, but has to be a little more specific. Soycaf and Kamikaze don't interact much. :)
Rule: +1 on Addiction Test if you are a frequent user
                  I was trying to get at this with (optional) Rule 7
Rule: Focus Addiction Addiction Rating = 2 + Excess*2
                  We agree it should be excess. Your formula is much harsher (Adding the +2 at least).
Rule: Addiction Rating is replaced by a Session Addiction Rating
                  Definitely see what you are trying to do here, but not sure the best/right way to accomplish.
                   Maybe as simple as: replace 9 day period with 1 session. If you take a drug (10-rating) times during the session you must make an addiction roll.

I also realized I meant to address the Addiction Qualities so I have done that in Rule 9 now:
Addiction Qualities all require the addict to use once per day or suffer withdrawal, it is only the consequences of withdrawal that change with higher levels

I still don't like the way the numbers work for 10-rating times in 9 days. Still thinking.
Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: <07-05-18/0149:26> by Overbyte »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <07-05-18/1051:40> »

An 8/3 drug results in a test for Addiction (3) if you use it twice within the 9 day period.
Yes, but no test if you use it once. In the old system, you will make a test at threshold 1 at the end of week 3. So if you use just once during a run, there's no test, if you use twice it's at threshold 3. Compared to 'use X times during 1 run and face a threshold 1 test', it's a big difference. Either you're slightly better off, or way worse. But yeah, it's a really annoying problem to tackle.

Anyway, glad you like my old stuff, hope it helps. =)

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-05-18/1430:59> »

Yes, but no test if you use it once. In the old system, you will make a test at threshold 1 at the end of week 3. So if you use just once during a run, there's no test, if you use twice it's at threshold 3. Compared to 'use X times during 1 run and face a threshold 1 test', it's a big difference. Either you're slightly better off, or way worse. But yeah, it's a really annoying problem to tackle.

Anyway, glad you like my old stuff, hope it helps. =)

Actually, what you are saying here gives me a seed of an idea about how to fix Rule 1 and the rolls. Giving it some thought.