NEWS

I has the dumb, sneaking in the light edition

• 2 Replies

Boring7

• Newb
« on: <06-30-18/2125:46> »
Hello, I have rules questions, they're probably dumb ones but I couldn't find the answers. 

First off is a question about sneaking.  On a character design I am toying with I have a Pixie's concealment, a good-ish sneak score (11 dice without really trying), and bioluminescence.  This clearly means I'm the biggest Flake in Snowtown, but it also means I have to figure out how to deal with trying to sneak around when I literally glow in the dark.  I don't mean, "how do I cover up?" deal, I mean "what are the mechanics?" deal.  Can I literally not sneak at all?  Do I get a die-pool penalty (and if so; what penalty?)  Do I get a bonus because rules make no sense and it's a madhouse? 

I kind of like the idea of the glow, and having a handicap to sneaking makes things more interesting (to me, at least) but I still want it to be *possible*.

Related question: When your face character has to go out and talk to people, but is also crazy, ridiculously recognizable...how does your Fake SIN work?  Especially if you have a real one kicking around? 
« Last Edit: <06-30-18/2131:28> by Boring7 »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-18/0443:14> »
Generally (without reading up on the specific powers and modifiers you are using) you don't even need to roll dice to observe something that is obvious (like something glowing in the dark). You would automatically notice it.

However if the target is actively trying to hide it may get to oppose the perception test. You will probably get a hefty negative dice pool modifier if you are glowing while trying to stay hidden in the dark. If there is nothing to hide behind then the GM might just rule that it is impossible hide in the dark while you are glowing and rule that you will be automatically noticed.
« Last Edit: <07-01-18/0454:17> by Xenon »

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-18/1227:58> »
The basic mechanic for sneaking around is an Opposed Test between your Sneaking + Agility [Physical] vs. the observer's Perception + Intuition [Mental] or Sneaking + Intuition [Mental]. The standard Perception Test modifiers (SR5 p.135) for distance, enhancements, light conditions, and so forth apply to the observer's test. Bioluminescence (Run Faster p.118) makes you easier to spot by reducing the light condition by one level. It also makes you "stand out in some way" in less than normal light, for an additional +2. This may be offset by your self-only Concealment power (SR5 p.395), which is a kind of magical camouflage that gives the observer a negative dice pool modifier equal to your Magic attribute.

Distinctive appearance notwithstanding, a Fake SIN is useful for keeping automated systems happy. As long as you don't get your identities confused, you're probably okay. There are millions of people in a typical sprawl, and most of them will just accept whatever ID you show them the first time you meet. You only run into trouble if you're using a different SIN when you meet someone a second time. Even then it might not matter. They might remember meeting you before, but not what name you were using. A good Con skill can help. ("Hi, I'm Bob. Remember me? We met once before. You thought my name was Steve? Ha, that's funny. No, I've always been Bob. I should know, right? Forget it, happens to me all the time.")