NEWS

[House Rule] Guns in confined spaces

• 12 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <06-28-18/1020:27> »
I knew this existed!  It took me a minute to remember where I stashed it.

This is something I wrote up long ago (April '17) for Street Lethal.  Since I was working on a gear chapter and not a rules chapter, I handed it off to a different writer.  It didn't make the final cut of the book, but since people seem to be interested, I figured I'd share it here.  Full disclosure, I wrote the gear chapter with the assumption this table would be in the book (originally, in the gear chapter itself), which is why Concealability Modifiers and carbines are focused on throughout.

>>>Insert Sidebar
Optional Rules

CQC: Close Quarters Conundrum

If you want player decisions about which gun to bring where to have more weight, or if you’re
simply tired of that one guy firing his Barret in cramped apartments, here are some optional
rules for your campaign.
The surroundings in which the players find themselves may impose restrictions on how
easily they can bring their ranged weapons to bear. This is a general measure of how easily the
player can move and react, not the amount of cover a target has or other environmental factors.
Bringing a sniper rifle to the ready position in a crowded room without smacking it into someone
or something is difficult. A ranged weapon has a Close-Quarter Modifier equal to one-half its
Concealability Modifier (p. 420, SR5 ), rounded up. Ranged weapons with a Concealability
Modifier of zero or a negative number do not have a Close-Quarter Modifier. The gamemaster
determines the level of the modifier.

>>>Insert Table
Level Description           Examples
0:    Tight                     Coffin motels, air ducts, packed clubs
1:     Cramped               Between parked cars, meter-wide alleys
2:    Restricted              Low Lifestyle interiors, dense jungles
3:    Awkward                Middle lifestyle interiors, retail stores
>>>End Table

Using a ranged weapon with a Close-Quarter Modifier in restricted surroundings
imposes a dice pool penalty to the attack equal to that modifier minus the level of the
environment. Keep in mind that the gamemaster may decide that certain weapons simply
cannot be used effectively in certain situations.
>>>End Sidebar

>>>Insert Sidebar
Example
A few bad decisions ago, Pounder and his crew accepted a job in Kowloon. Now completely
lost in its labyrinthine corridors, the group is trying to avoid becoming the latest offerings at the
local organlegger. The gamemaster determines their environment to be Cramped (Level 1).
Pounder is armed with a heavy machine gun, which has a Concealability Modifier of +10 and a
Close-Quarter Modifier of 5. He’s at a -4 (Modifier 5 - Level 1) dice penalty to fire his machine
gun in this godforsaken place.
>>>End Sidebar
« Last Edit: <06-28-18/1032:03> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <06-28-18/1031:21> »
i approve. this is similar to what we use at our table to stop folks carrying desert strikes into melee

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <06-28-18/1337:47> »
I like the rule -- just one little hitch.  I'm sure it is in the book somewhere, but I can't recall seeing a table with the concealability modifiers for different classes of guns?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-28-18/1421:22> »
I liek

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <06-28-18/1444:46> »
not a bad system at all...

And indeed does stop the "Sniper rifle in a alleyway" issue....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-28-18/1453:59> »
I like it. Should include something about reach weapons for melee too (for all those monowhip slingers inside cars)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-18/1459:29> »
I like it. Should include something about reach weapons for melee too (for all those monowhip slingers inside cars)

Seriously?

You have had to deal with that??????

Did the player also wear a sign around their neck that said "Please remind me to breathe. I forget sometimes" ?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-28-18/1603:23> »

Since in most cases Reach and Concealability are pretty much synonymous you can probably use the same rule. You would still have to GM rule the mono-whip though.

I like and am going to use for sure.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-28-18/1641:41> »

Grab weighted end in off hand (carefully!).  Lunge at target.  Cut through headrests, gearshifts, limbs, seatbelts, whatever.  Not seeing the problem here.  Well, don't let your off hand slip.  That just pun writes itself...

Nephilim

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <06-28-18/1725:40> »
I like these rules. Probably bring them into my table to bring some usefulness back to the lighter end of the weapon spectrum.

Grab weighted end in off hand (carefully!).  Lunge at target.  Cut through headrests, gearshifts, limbs, seatbelts, whatever.  Not seeing the problem here.  Well, don't let your off hand slip.  That just pun writes itself...

Don't say the pun, Neph.... Don't say it....

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #10 on: <06-29-18/0203:54> »
Very nice! I used a 'common sense' houserule on it, but I really like that as a way to go about it.

*adds it to my notes*

Crunch~

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-29-18/0623:25> »
That´s an excellent idea! It makes small and medium-sized Weapons like SMGs and the new Carbine Category more worthwhile and puts a reasonable damper on Assault and Sniper Rifles in ill-fitting environments. I was hoping for stuff like this in Street Lethal, but alas....  ::)

I´m already using a similar houserule, but making the modifier dependent on the already existing conceilability Modifier seems like a really good Idea. Will adjust my own houserules accordingly  ;D

You can also think about applying this modifier to shooters engaged in Close Combat, instead of the flat -2 Modifier.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-29-18/1634:30> »
...instead of the flat -2 Modifier.
SR5 p. 176 Ranged Combat - Situational Modifiers
Attacker in melee combat –3