NEWS

Can you lie about or hide your true magical tradition?

• 18 Replies

Nephilim

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <06-28-18/1719:57> »
Well as a point of comparison, the Matrix equivalent to Assensing is explicitly inclusive rather than exclusive.  (i.e. something isn't disqualified just because it's not on the list).  And of course there's no exclusive list of what you may perceive in the physical world based on # of hits on a perception check, either.

Of course the Assensing chart doesn't say it's exclusive, so it's kind of up in the air as to whether it is or not.  But agreed that the more conservative assumption would be that it is an unstatedly exclusive chart that to presume it's an inclusive list without it explicitly saying it is.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it like that. That said, I'd argue it's exclusive, both because it's more unclear what else you might perceive via Assenssing and because IIRC there's an ability in one of the magic books that increase the amount of info you can gather. Which implies to me that the table is exclusive unless expanded.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-28-18/1956:25> »
The matrix list in the red box on p. 235 would be an exhaustive list as well just like astral perception, but in this case they do use words like "can" and "pretty good idea". It even straight out say "It's not an exhaustive list".

No such thing for the astral perception list.
Unless you can find an example or clarification of sorts from someone it will remain an exhaustive list and you can't use astral perception to sense the tradition of a magician.

But, you may still rule that you can sense the tradition if you like. Your table. You rules.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-28-18/2012:46> »
The matrix list in the red box on p. 235 would be an exhaustive list as well just like astral perception, but in this case they do use words like "can" and "pretty good idea". It even straight out say "It's not an exhaustive list".

No such thing for the astral perception list.
Unless you can find an example or clarification of sorts from someone it will remain an exhaustive list and you can't use astral perception to sense the tradition of a magician.

But, you may still rule that you can sense the tradition if you like. Your table. You rules.

The matrix perception chart on 235 flat out says it's not an exhaustive list.  Which means the list is inclusive rather than exclusive.

As for whether a chart that doesn't say whether it's inclusive or exclusive is automatically exclusive by default:

Probably a fair interpretation, granted.  It's just not necessarily automatically correct is all.  As I said upthread its the safer/more conservative assumption to be sure.
« Last Edit: <06-28-18/2015:52> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #18 on: <06-28-18/2134:16> »
A lot of stuff that was added during mods or supplements falls into that grey area. It may not be listed on the table, but systematic inertia has stuff fall into the thats' how we used to it Category, and of course without explicitly updated rules there always room for argument about what is what is not actually RAW/RAI.

But the point on this sort of thing. Yes there's nothing stopping a character from being dishonest about their tradition. But there are things in the system that will make it obvious. IE if you go into lodge of that tradition and it doesn't work for you, well that's a fairly clear red flag, regents could be another, your spells don't fit that tradition all that sort of thing. Of course all that is well and good when it comes to normal traditions.

Now you add in the bugs/toxic/blood. The most important point being don't try and make PC with those powers. The system is not intended 
for it. As a GM i would certainly give players a chance to see the corruption in the aura of any of those, and I sure i'd use masking to conceal it if that important to the NPC or my plot line.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking