NEWS

Acquiring Gear

• 57 Replies

ARCimedes

• Newb
  • /i\(;,;)/i\
« Reply #45 on: <04-26-11/1711:34> »
There is in fact a "vehicle tag eraser" modification, that when activated wipes any tags entering or placed on the vehicle.

Arsenal page 146.

-k

The problem with that is it does not effect tags already in the vehicle. It is basically a large cage that erases any tags near it and requires a major installation. Basically, it is not a time saver for erasing tags from stolen vehicles. However, it does indicate that suspending all electronics would protect them. So you should be able to make a small cage to drive the vehicles into, turn off the vehicles and fry the tags.

-ARCimedes
-ARCimedes

Are you sure you want a flame thrower?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <04-26-11/1824:51> »
"It also make Dimitri dance funny because of Russian cybernetics!  Hey!  D!  Walk in cage again!"  "Is nyet funny!!!"  "He is kidder, we all love him, he loves us."  "I shoot in face next time happens!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ARCimedes

• Newb
  • /i\(;,;)/i\
« Reply #47 on: <04-26-11/1848:33> »
"It also make Dimitri dance funny because of Russian cybernetics!  Hey!  D!  Walk in cage again!"  "Is nyet funny!!!"  "He is kidder, we all love him, he loves us."  "I shoot in face next time happens!"

Yeah, but he is bringing back the St. Vitus dance craze...

-ARCimedes
-ARCimedes

Are you sure you want a flame thrower?

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #48 on: <04-28-11/0236:05> »
Find owner of gear.  Beat up owner of gear.  You now have gear.  :P

I love this, because it's probably the way my longest living PC has acquired at least 75% of the things she has. Also, Canray, everywhere I see you post on this forum you make me laugh.  ;D *whew* I agree with angelone. I love you guys.

Now then on to my opinionated topic rant for the week....

The rules seem to assume that all shadowrunners know where they can reach gray and black markets, and that they can find items like this without having to use (and pay) contacts for the privilege. Anything that is legal should be available somewhere, which brings up some unusual situations.

"I want to buy a taser."
[rolls dice] "Okay, it'll take you 24 hours to find a seller."
"They're legal. I just want to go to Weapons World and grab one off the shelf."

I still have an issue with the time required being based strictly on the price; if the Availability is supposed to represent how difficult it is to find the item, it shouldn't matter if it costs 10¥ or 10,000¥. It also leaves open the question of how buying something in quantity is figured -- whether you use the base figure, or the total price of the bundle. I've already pointed out ways in which that can get weird.

Continue with the suggestions.

I'm really Feeling you on this one LP.  These rules are very frustrating for me. Considering that the focus of the world structure shadow runner's live in is a huge buyer's market plastered with neon signs and AR overlays screaming BUY BUY BUY at you everyday, it shouldn't be that damn hard to find low (10-12 or below) availability/legal gear and just buy it. It shouldn't take a 6/6 fixer a week to find, procure, and sell something like ammo/guns(shotguns, pistols, hunting gear)/cyberware these things may be harder to get in certain areas but unless theres a market crack down anything that is available for sale to SINner's should be almost as easy if not easier for a fixer to get just off hand. Otherwise they aren't a useful contact. (IMO)

The only time a runner is generally spending their nuyen is when they need something, and they usually need those things on short notice. If a fixer can't find that something quickly and easily it would/should be a huge blow to their reputation, and their clients would find someone who could deliver quickly. I mean if you're asking someone for something like M-1 garand clips on short notice, yeah I'd expect a wait time considering they're over 130 years old. But if I'm looking for cyberware that any joe could walk into a clinic and pick out from an AR overlay and have installed that day and it takes my fixer more than a week to get it I'd be like WTF man?! considering the way it's made to seem how the shadow markets work and with the amount of things floating around in it, these things shouldn't be THAT HARD to get legal or otherwise. /rant

Am I the only one that feels this way? >:(
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #49 on: <04-28-11/0332:43> »
I'm with you, Teyl. I'd like to see a revival of the old rules regarding availability, time to acquire, and legality. I also miss the Street Index, which resulted in some things actually being cheaper on the black/gray markets -- by the RAW, runners don't have the option of using "Turnpike Clearance Sales", without the GM applying some fiat.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #50 on: <04-28-11/0437:50> »
I'm with you, Teyl. I'd like to see a revival of the old rules regarding availability, time to acquire, and legality. I also miss the Street Index, which resulted in some things actually being cheaper on the black/gray markets -- by the RAW, runners don't have the option of using "Turnpike Clearance Sales", without the GM applying some fiat.
We really are on the same page chummer. :D If you've got 400 stolen guns that need to go now, and you got them at a 5 finger discount, you tend to say screw market value, selling them for half price is still getting me more than I started with, and it'll help me when the yaks looking for those guns don't find them on me. While I admit that something like that doesn't happen every day, It does happen enough that a smart supplier would know where to go and get those things/point the runner's at the sale. (if they didn't want to get their hands dirty.) Same thing applies to drugs, cyberware, the list goes on.  But that never seems to happen in this system. It's almost like the shadow markets and the people inside them meet once and then forget everything that happened after that meeting and start all over again the next time; no lasting connections made. If I was a seriously connected fixer, I'd remember who I trusted to do business with and what they regularly sell as to cut the amount of time between getting it from their storage to my buyer's hands at a cost that makes it worth everyones while to buy from me. It just makes Fraking sense.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

ngfanatic

• Newb
« Reply #51 on: <04-28-11/0749:53> »
There are already rules for that:

p312 20th anniversary edition has a section on street value wich could get you stuff at 10% actual price!!
But just today, act fast or it will be gone!

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #52 on: <04-28-11/1157:25> »
Those are just modifiers to an item's price, which either have to be specifically requested by the character (used/knock-off), or applied by the GM (stolen, market flooded, etc.). The rules don't state whether or not these modifiers affect the time required to acquire the item, and it wouldn't matter in most cases -- if something costs 40,000¥, a 30% discount doesn't lower the price enough to change the interval.

Especially when you add in the off-brand factor, this should make getting an item easier. If you just want a pair of sneakers, and you don't care if the brand-name says Reebork, it shouldn't take long to find a pair. Finding something used, though, might actually take longer, depending on the item. Finding a used commlink or light pistol should be very easy; finding a used Ares Roadmaster might take a while.

Some of the other price mods get tricky. For instance, "used in a crime under investigation". This seems to imply that the seller knows the item is hot -- and it seems to me that selling something like this would be a short road to a bad rep. Then there's "market flooded". Yeah, I can see the price going down a bit, but this should also make it significantly easier to find. "Market dry" and "police crackdown" should have the opposite effect, increasing the amount of time needed to find the item.

I'm not sure how to handle the possibility that an item's on-hand, at least by the numbers -- using GM fiat works, but that requires me to decide whether or not to make the player wait. I'm open to suggestions on this.

ᴖᴥᴖ

dashifen

• Chummer
« Reply #53 on: <04-28-11/1342:24> »
Frankly, and this sounds harsh but I don't mean it to be, you're the GM and you are going to have to make decisions like this.  Do your best to be fair, admit when you messed up and (if possible) correct things, and listen to and respect feedback.  As long as that's going on, the players are likely to be okay about things. 
Kotori (PDF, Vehicles, Chummer)

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #54 on: <04-28-11/1356:41> »
No worries there, I have to do that sort of thing all the time. I just have a pet peeve on rules in RPGs that don't make sense, the ones that can produce weird results like the examples I've given.

ᴖᴥᴖ

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #55 on: <04-28-11/1816:25> »
With the new "Options" PDFs on the market, perhaps this can be addressed?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #56 on: <04-28-11/2314:54> »
Or perhaps a catalog PDF, with all of the various price lists collated -- with the addition of these figures, updated for how things work in SR4. There's a lot of items that weren't in prior editions, and some things might have changed in rarity.

ᴖᴥᴖ

Exodus

• Newb
« Reply #57 on: <05-14-11/1553:17> »
We've found sticking with the rules to be kinda boring, I've had the players roleplay for gear. They exchanged a smuggling ship and the life of a former senator for a modified assault rifle, a truck, and a tracksuit.
I prefer to GM for Role Players not Roll Players