NEWS

6th World Almanac vs. Shadows of Asia question

• 29 Replies

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« on: <10-12-11/0258:59> »
Shadows of Asia, pg 94, Middle East Timeline sidebar, "December 2063: ...Syria takes over Lebanon." and pg 120, "The [Syrian] government gets more belligerent by the day, as shown by their recent military takeover of Lebanon. Syria always treated Lebanon like an offshoot, so the invasion is mostly symbolic."

The Sixth World Almanac's map hover show's Lebanon being absorbed by Israel (which is reprinted for the Arabian Caliphate map on pg 114).

I would assume, that the Catalyst sources takes canon precedence over the Fanpro source, but there's always the possibility of a misprint, typo, mistake, etc.

Any official or semi official ruling on this that I may have missed?
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-12-11/0700:09> »
Official ruling? That would amount to errata the thing which shall not be :P

6WA contains several gross canon violations even in the more "active" settings (just look at the coastlines of LA or Northern Germany), therefore the safe bet is to just ignore everything which collides with preexisting books.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <10-12-11/0843:14> »
I don't know. The map in the Arabian Caliphate section looks like it cuts off just before showing Lebanon's physical location.

Now, the Poster map from the book is a bit more detailed and it clearly looks like Israel has annexed Lebanon.

A better explanation is that, much like the real world, borders shifted and power struggles occurred, with Israel taking Lebanon away from Syria.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-12-11/1351:56> »
6WA is the canon unless something later retconned it.

A better explanation is that, much like the real world, borders shifted and power struggles occurred, with Israel taking Lebanon away from Syria.

That is entirely possible.

/[insert remark about TT updates]
« Last Edit: <10-12-11/1357:05> by James Meiers »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-12-11/1453:08> »
6WA is the canon unless something later retconned it.
So yes, North Korea tried to nuke Japan and was invaded twice, in 2006 and again in 2020 :P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-12-11/1506:19> »
Only twice?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <10-12-11/1510:43> »
Well, nukes became less reliable after magic came back.  It's not the boogyman it once was.

They probably had a bunch of "lesser" magical and military threats that were largely ignored due to Japan pointing and going, "We have a Great Dragon living here, along with some Megacorporations.  Go ahead, piss them off."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-12-11/1542:59> »
The point is not that NK tried to nuke Japan and the nukes failed, that is part of the established backstory. The point is that 6WA used the same sidebar twice.

And somebody should tell the authors that the coastline of what used to be California "is the canon unless something later retconned it" ;)
« Last Edit: <10-12-11/1545:17> by Sengir »

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-12-11/1544:13> »
Yeah, just checking to see if I missed something and/or if there was a semi-official ruling.

Since there's no textual mention of Israel taking Lebanon in 6WA, but there does exist a previous canon textual statement that Lebanon was taken over by a country (just not Israel), I can only conclude that there was a mistake made and that it is highly likely it is cartographic in nature (though there very well could have been an omitted post-Crash 2.0 timeline entry stating Israel takes Lebanon from Syria in 6WA). But maybe not, always fun to ask and see what's known about these kinds of things. I have no investment in the outcome, yet, hehe, and changing my maps is easier than changing the poster map (and making it still look beautiful).

"Cartography mistakes change the world."
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-12-11/1635:31> »
Note also that Tel-Aviv moved about fifty kilometers east of its actual position. That, or the Israeli government chose to rename Jerusalem (probably just to confuse the Palestinian negotiators).

The same thing happened to Nice in France. It is now about sixty kilometers southeast of where it used to be. The former Canadian territories are UCAS dependencies and not states. And Tir Tairngire prince Feana Sterling was assassinated several times.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <10-12-11/1642:24> »
Hey look, there's a thread in the Errata forums where you can post errata you find in the Sixth World Almanac! Why, it's almost like the boards have an entire area dedicated to the discussion of errata, where posters can list the items that need to be corrected for all to see instead of beating horses that died a while ago.

Sixth World Almanac feedback

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-12-11/1652:03> »
You'd probably get people more excited about the errata threads if there was ever a possibility that some of them make make it into a book before 5th edition. :D

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-12-11/1658:18> »
But where do we put the meta-errata!?!
    The errata of my errata is my errata.
    Take my errata...please.
    Et tu, errata!

But seriously folks,

I started this thread expecting it to get moved to the Errata forums (though for different reasons) as it's basically an "is this errata?" question (but it wasn't a "this is errata!" statement, you see) so starting at the top, with the product, was my line of reasoning :)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <10-12-11/2152:01> »
Okay, since it's intended to be an errata discussion, I'll move it to the proper board.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-13-11/0048:41> »
And somebody should tell the authors that the coastline of what used to be California "is the canon unless something later retconned it" ;)
I'm failing to see where the problem is. Granted, the quality isn't stellar, but there's no appreciable difference between SR4, SR4A, CE, and 6WA as far as I can tell.

Now, that Fanpro sunk a huge chunk of California and Baja California is ridiculous, but until Jason lets me finally write a version of L.A. that retcons everything since NAGNA we're stuck for now.
« Last Edit: <10-13-11/0050:27> by James Meiers »