NEWS

The shadowrun world....will chrome disappear in the long run ?

• 17 Replies

Seras

• Chummer
« on: <09-05-18/1636:38> »
I have a feeling that the metal is disappering, beeing replaced by bio and genetech. And Nanotech..... despite CFD.

Unlike Cyperpunk  Night City/ Ghost in the shell , there is no real drive toward full borg conversion in society....

The notable exception seems to be headware which is growing in distribution, but which cannot really be seen on the outside, except for the plugs.

The general tone seems to be that humans like to look like humans, so more natural looks a re prefered almost anyplace that is not EVO Corp.

The primer for shadowrun missions even metions that heavily cybered (chromed) characters are rare and get the attention of the law.

The only two places we really see chrome is mercenary /corp security outfits and I would guess outer space ( A body that does not need a space suit would be a big help ).

I would figure, with all the big scary things and other metatypes going around, that bodytech would be even more popular to get that extra survival edge.

Especially since you cannot buy your way into magic, but ANYONE theoretically can get upgrades.

Let's get the discussion started.  :)
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-18/1704:52> »
Cybertech is rooted in the future of the 80ies - the idea of nanites reached mainstream in the 90ies (just compare Terminator 1 and 2)
Personally, I think scifi settings should keep pace with the present and it's developments to both reflect our current time and also critically question our situation. Staying in the nostalgia bubble won't do gameplay any favors in the long run.

Bringing commlinks into 4th edition was a necessary step to reflect the upcomming smartphone trend and explore the ideas that a wireless society can bring with it (such as ubiquitous surveillance).
5th edition has regressed a bit - ironically by reflecting the current trend of nostalgia - but just as transhumanism is progressing in the real world, the gameworld has to stay a step ahead or it will become a bit of a joke like the Battletech universe with it's mantra: "It's Battletech not Logitech"...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-18/1921:08> »
5e regressed in a lot of things, not just cyberware, which is why nostalgia is a bad premise for game design. But I digress.

The problem with a lot of chrome is that it just plain isn't worth it. Unless your cyberarm matches your natural abilities, then you have separate pools whether you're shooting someone with one hand, or using a rifle in two hands, and so on. And why would you want a cyberarm that was 'normal' ability? So you really need two, to get the full effect. But for that price, you could get a bunch of other ware that has more general bonuses, and won't have every corpsec officer in the building looking at you when you step through the metal detector.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-18/2237:56> »
Cyberware is cheap but it eats essence; bioware is more elegant but also more expensive. Naturally the expensive options are better, but there will always be more poor people than wealthy ones, and they'll take whatever advantage they can afford. Chrome will always have a place in shadowrun.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-18/0053:29> »
*Used Muscle Toner 2, Used Reaction Enhancers 3 character* hm?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-18/0918:57> »
Cyberware is cheap but it eats essence; bioware is more elegant but also more expensive. Naturally the expensive options are better, but there will always be more poor people than wealthy ones, and they'll take whatever advantage they can afford. Chrome will always have a place in shadowrun.

This is honestly the way I've always felt  about the universe, and my own game we started in and are still using 4E(though we're starting to hit the 5E timeline now). The more wealthy you are, the more expensive and holistic, "natural-looking" ware you can afford. But Shadowrun is a dystopia with two of the biggest themes being the the pervasiveness of augmentation, and massive income and lifestyle inequality.

So there will always be more poor people looking for an edge to survive compared to the fewer-but-wealthier who get augmentation because it's in fashion. Also take into account how vital every nuyen is to the lowest strata of society. Say you're a ganger living in the Barrens. You really want a speed boost to give you that edge over the competition, but money is tight as it is. So you visit your local street doc, and you're in luck! He just got a brand new set of Wired Reflexes, as well as a medical cooler with a Synaptic Booster. BTW, apologies in advance, I'm using 4E numbers since I don't have the 5E core rulebook with me.. Rating 1 Wired Reflexes is 11,000¥, and R1 Synaptic Booster is 80,000¥! Heck even if the cyber is Alpha and the bio is used, the difference in price is crazy. No street ganger will be able to afford the bioware version unless he's monumentally successful, or he literally rips it out of someone else(which is a possibility).

So I think cyber will always have a place in society, even if it's just for those that can't afford better.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-18/1022:50> »
39k vs 95k, and technically you can't normally get Synaptic Used since it's Cultured. And yes, still a significant difference in price.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-06-18/1141:16> »
Good point about it being cultured. Which is another thing worth noting. Bioware and higher availability stuff is really only accessable/easy to get with a valid SIN, or at least a good quality fake. So that's another obstacle for the economically and socially challenged.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-06-18/1706:45> »
But Shadowrun is a dystopia with two of the biggest themes being the the pervasiveness of augmentation, and massive income and lifestyle inequality.
So I think cyber will always have a place in society, even if it's just for those that can't afford better.

So having chrone in the 6th world is like beeing heavily tatooed in germany, people look at you funny and think your low class and trouble....so they stay away and cops look closer.... I have not thought about it that way. That makes a lot of sence.

It also explains why most runners switch to bioware and cloned parts once they have the nuyen. You already are a criminal, you do not what to activly look like one too...

Thanks for the feedback
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-06-18/1715:38> »
There are augmentations that are possible via cyber not not bio.  That alone will keep cyber relevant both in the shadows and among sararimen.

Now it's possible that the in-world scientists could come up with bioware versions of datajacks and smartgun links, but IMO it's probably safe to assume that the real-world game devs won't write cybernetics out of their cyberpunk game.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-06-18/1725:18> »
You wrote too fast Stainless Steel Devil Rat.

There is already a bio Datajack.  Kill Code, page 67.  The MCT Biolink.

Next up is Smartlink.  ;)

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-16-18/0830:16> »
Likely Cyberware will not go away, but there will be a resurgence of it as a new technology is discovered. Like for example something that in 5e might make you go cyberzombie but in future editions might end up being the new norm. Like for example if we start getting space travel in the real world, shadowrun may begin going into space a lot more.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-16-18/2011:15> »
Given how 5E has gone after people with cyber, I would be shocked if bioware didn't get hammered HARD in 6E.
After all, how many times has something the corps called "stable" gone out of control?
Example: CFD and nanotech.

Cyber is seen as acceptable, as long as it's unseen and not a weapon.
Undoubtedly, favorites like datajacks will in use till the end of time.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <09-17-18/0138:07> »
Bioware has taken a social penalty because it involved nanotech to help settle originally, making it a CFD liability.

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <10-06-18/1742:02> »
Hopefully not. Cyberware is too iconic for Cyberpunk for it to disappear. After all its even in the name.
Personally I would have no problem with it if the next edition retroactively scales back some advancements in bio and nanoware and rebalances the power of chrome, even if that hurts the continuity.

Personally Cyber should be the more expensive and essence heavy option but also should give you the biggest boost in power that bio and magic can't match (or only with big drain).
Bioware on the other hand should be easy on the body and focus more on subtle stuff.
« Last Edit: <10-06-18/1748:07> by Ixal »