NEWS

Jack jockey

• 7 Replies

Sprite

• Newb
« on: <11-21-22/1800:42> »
Just wondering what everyones opinion is about jack jockey combined with resonance wires…seems broken to some extent. (Or in combination with skin/auralink)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-23-22/1537:17> »
Jack jockey is very rewarding but the physical proximity requirement also often come with increased risk (and to mitigate that risk perhaps you need to also invest into Stealth and Agility or Con and Charisma; Which make it a great quality for physical infiltrators and/or social infiltrators, that happen to also be hackers).
« Last Edit: <11-23-22/1544:02> by Xenon »

Smogg

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-22/1450:53> »
Jack jockey with resonance wires is a really good idea. I think it is worthwhile to invest in. Nothing broken about it though.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-27-22/1026:31> »
Well, ignoring PAN and Host ratings when attacking or controlling devices is pretty powerful (borderline broken). The only balancing factor here is the physical proximity (but if you plan to do most of your hacking together with the team anyway then....)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-28-22/1037:42> »
Jack jockey, when combined with other things, is broken.  In a vacuum without other things... it's fine-ish.  As Xenon says, you're still risking detection by getting physical access.  But their are other ways to get Direct Access now, including a couple ranged options.  That's what breaks it, IMO.

Smogg

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-29-22/0356:18> »
Jack Jockey and Aura Link or Resonance wires is amazing for the table because it straight up encourage the TM to run with the group (and in danger) instead of sitting back in the van. Thats not broken. That is pretty awesome.

But hey, if you dont like it, then ban it.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-29-22/1156:50> »
Resonance Wires and the other Direct Access options I like.  They plug some annoying holes for Matrix characters.  Jack Jockey removes almost all chance of failure for hacking though.  Hosts, Spiders, IC, PANs, none of it matter to Jack Jockey.  That leads to a pretty goofy place if a player really pushes it.

Smogg

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-29-22/1259:05> »
I agree Jack Jokey can make many rolls very easy.

Too me though, Jack Jokey is just a bit of 5th edtion direct connection comming back. In my games if the hacker is within a few meters of whatever he is hacking, the focus shift to the dangers at the location. Guards, Spirits, A spider who will engage in cybercombat... things like that.

Without Jack Jockey, hacking something next to you is not much easier than going through the host. Sure it might be behind another (usually easier host), but still. If you are up against a rating 7 host, then without jack jockey, its going to be hard either way, so the hacker will usually remaing off site.

I guess every table and style differs though. Thats just my 5 cents. I really think the quality is a welcome one in 6e.