NEWS

[5e OOC] Black Trenchcoat

• 314 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #150 on: <07-03-18/0844:05> »
Hi everyone,

Redwulfe's allowed me to join you guys as a back-up magician. I'm preparing a very misdirection and deception-concentrated character, possibly, with some B&E-related skills if I can fit them in.

Welcome, Welcome! I think we are all still basically posting and reviewing our characters right now, or looking at any rules questions folks might have. Which reminds me I need to adjust Ace's contacts to fit the call.

« Last Edit: <07-03-18/0853:47> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #151 on: <07-03-18/0955:59> »
Remember everyone gets a free extra contact, Cowboy (fixer connections 4, loyalty 1). You may buy up his loyalty from their if you wish.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

eryrwyn

• Newb
« Reply #152 on: <07-03-18/1802:31> »
I've been working on my Voodoo charlatan and I've got two possible priority sets and I have some trouble deciding which one to go with.

Both are Metatype D (Elf), Magic A, Resources E, but one has Attributes B and Skills C, the other Attributes C and Skills B.

Version 1; Attributes B, Skills C

BOD: 3; AGI: 5; REA: 1; STR: 3; CHA: 8; INT: 5; LOG: 2; WIL: 5; EDG: 1; MAG: 6

Assensing 5 (10), Automatics 3 (8; +2 Submachine Guns), Binding 6 (12; +2 Spirits of Man), Disguise 2 (7), Locksmith 1 (6), Palming 2 (7), Perception 1 (6; +2 Numinous), Performance 6 (14), Sneaking 2 (7), Spellcasting 6 (12; +2 Manipulation), Summoning 6 (12; +2 Spirits of Man)

Version 2; Attributes C, Skills B

BOD: 2; AGI: 4; REA: 1; STR: 2; CHA: 8; INT: 4; LOG: 2; WIL: 5; EDG: 1; MAG: 6

Assensing 6 (10; +2 Aura Reading), Automatics 4 (8; +2 Submachine Guns), Binding 6 (12; +2 Spirits of Man), Disguise 5 (9), Etiquette 1 (9), Locksmith 4 (8; +2 Maglock), Palming 5 (9), Perception 1 (5; +2 Numinous), Performance 6 (14), Sneaking 5 (9), Spellcasting 6 (12; +2 Manipulation), Summoning 6 (12; +2 Spirits of Man)

Both versions share the same qualities (Astral Chameleon, Charlatan, Mentor Spirit) and spells (Clout, Gravity Well, Heal, Improved Invisibility, Increase Agility, Increase Charisma, Increase Reflexes, Influence, Opium Den, Rewind, Trid Phantasm -- although I'm still thinking about Clout and Gravity Well... Normally I'd take Ball Lightning as my combat spell but it doesn't fit the concept of a Voodoo practitioner, especially one who's so dedicated to staying low and unnoticed.)

As for skills, I'm not 100% whether to go with Submachine Guns or Machine Pistols at the moment. I'll have to look at weapon models but haven't had time to do that yet. I'm definitely going with some kind of weapon though as this character is very good at hiding his Awakened nature, so being able to shoot might fool people into thinking he's a mundane face/conartist instead of taking him as the group's mage.

I'd love to hear your opinions, guys.
« Last Edit: <07-03-18/1827:42> by eryrwyn »

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #153 on: <07-03-18/2037:50> »
Everyone can feel free to answer the last message in the IC chat giving your intro via you dossier that you send to adzling and he can contact you from their. if you character is not fully finished please feel free to join we will hand wave while you finish up but since this is the opening scenes it should be fine.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #154 on: <07-03-18/2137:33> »
Question:  This thought came to me since we're gonna get a second caster.  I've heard some games play that losing essence means your Magic cap drop, but not your current points(to stop it from being totally crippling), unless your Magic is at that cap. 

I was considering, but not fully decided, on shifting to Aspected Magician, since I do like Cyberware a lot, and having a little might be fun. 

Not decided though, I might just stick with my current.

Thoughts?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #155 on: <07-03-18/2241:01> »
I think swapping to aspect might be a very good idea for you Blackshade, I think it would free up a lot points i think you might like to spend else where. As to burn out builds, I never recommend them in 5th, past editions have includes mechanics to recover magic loss due to essence loss. But 5th does not (Baring blood Crystals but that's a different thing). There are less bad way to do it with a little planning, but in general, I always advice to just wait for quickening. It'll do the job much better then any ware you gonna have put in.
Thinking
com
speaking

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #156 on: <07-03-18/2251:03> »
I think swapping to aspect might be a very good idea for you Blackshade, I think it would free up a lot points i think you might like to spend else where. As to burn out builds, I never recommend them in 5th, past editions have includes mechanics to recover magic loss due to essence loss. But 5th does not (Baring blood Crystals but that's a different thing). There are less bad way to do it with a little planning, but in general, I always advice to just wait for quickening. It'll do the job much better then any ware you gonna have put in.

I was thinking like, getting Cybereyes and a datajack, for Smartlink stuff, and just utilitarian stuff.  I admit, I enjoy the cyberware of cyberpunk. 

That's mainly why I was asking if Redwulfe would be using the house/optional rule that I found in Chummer that just lowers your cap and not your current. 

I was thinking of focusing on Conjuring.

eryrwyn

• Newb
« Reply #157 on: <07-04-18/0048:43> »
I was thinking like, getting Cybereyes and a datajack, for Smartlink stuff, and just utilitarian stuff.  I admit, I enjoy the cyberware of cyberpunk. 

That's mainly why I was asking if Redwulfe would be using the house/optional rule that I found in Chummer that just lowers your cap and not your current. 

I was thinking of focusing on Conjuring.

Personally, I like to put some 'ware in my characters sooner or later as well, so I understand the reason why. I think it might be worth it if you can also increase your tradition's Drain stat. For Charisma there's only geneware and that's really expensive. But if you went Logic or Intuition, and took Cerebellum or Cerebral Boosters, it might actually pay off since you'd be exchanging a point of Magic for +1 or +2 to Drain and other stuff as well. (It would require you have higher priority Resources though, but if you were going with Aspected Conjurer, you could, technically, go for a high Metatype and Magic D, and just use special attribute points from Metatype to get your Magic up since you won't have to worry about spells, just conjuring skills.)

For the record, as the second magician, I chose a Possession tradition precisely because I didn't want to step too much on your summoning niche. Sure, my character can also summon spirits but they're different -- not the usual materializing tanks they can be, but more subtle as they have to possess something or someone. I was even considering taking Dedicated Spellcaster at one point but a) I would have to exchange one of two qualities I really care about for that, b) it didn't seem right to be a Voodoo sorcerer without spirit support -- they're too much about the spiritual and loa to eschew that ability. I might choose that if I went a different tradition.

In any case, if you do end up going Aspected, I'll have to shift some of my points to try and get some Astral Combat in there as I'll be the only one capable of astral projection, but that's fine for me.

As a sidenote, if you do go with an Aspected Conjurer, I recommend you take Dedicated Conjurer quality as you automatically qualify, it costs only 5 Karma for you and gives you some very nice versatility (additional three spirit groups is amazing on its own but it also adds 1 to your Magic to determine whether Drain is physical or stun... and it might work perfectly for someone with a lower Magic because of 'ware).
« Last Edit: <07-04-18/0058:37> by eryrwyn »

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #158 on: <07-04-18/0105:47> »
I was looking at both conjuring for summoning up spirits to tank, but was also looking at initiating eventually to get Channeling and Invoking(For an Ally Spirit).  Would that step on your toes at all? 

Thanks, I'll check out Dedicated Conjurer.  I'm starting to love this character more and more. 

eryrwyn

• Newb
« Reply #159 on: <07-04-18/0121:52> »
I was looking at both conjuring for summoning up spirits to tank, but was also looking at initiating eventually to get Channeling and Invoking(For an Ally Spirit).  Would that step on your toes at all? 

Thanks, I'll check out Dedicated Conjurer.  I'm starting to love this character more and more.

Invoking, no, I've no intention of going for an ally spirit. But Channeling, yes, but not for the same reasons you're probably taking it, although it is thematically appropriate for a Voodoo practitioner to be able to be the cheval himself, but the main reason why I'll be going for Channeling (not as the first metamagic though, as Masking and being astrally sneaky is way more important to this character) is that with Possession traditions, it might be difficult to actually have the spirit possess something, so there's a way to prepare a vessel beforehand. That, however, requires initiating into Channeling.
« Last Edit: <07-04-18/0127:12> by eryrwyn »

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #160 on: <07-04-18/0126:50> »
I wanted to get Channeling so I could merge with my Ally spirit(which is gonna be, surprise surprise, a corvid of some kind).  Either way, I wanna summon, so I guess we can cross that bridge when we get to it. 

eryrwyn

• Newb
« Reply #161 on: <07-04-18/0129:05> »
I wanted to get Channeling so I could merge with my Ally spirit(which is gonna be, surprise surprise, a corvid of some kind).  Either way, I wanna summon, so I guess we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

When I do get Channeling, I'll probably be using it to channel Task Spirits anyway as a way of magic skillwires :-)

If you think we might be stepping onto one another's toes though, I might still be able to rework my character into a Dedicated Spellslinger from another tradition. Black mage would definitely work for this concept so I could change into that and lose the voodoo and summoning.

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #162 on: <07-04-18/0135:11> »
That's totally up to you, man. :)  I mean, I'll be just a conjurer, since I can't go anywhere else, you'll have lots of stuff to poke at.  I'm not worried.  You play what you want, the Voodoo concept sounds cool. :)

eryrwyn

• Newb
« Reply #163 on: <07-04-18/0148:27> »
That's totally up to you, man. :)  I mean, I'll be just a conjurer, since I can't go anywhere else, you'll have lots of stuff to poke at.  I'm not worried.  You play what you want, the Voodoo concept sounds cool. :)

I'll do the maths in Chummer and see what I can come up with. If I'm satisfied, I might switch, but I probably won't as I kind of like the image I have in my mind with what I've already got. :)

One more thing as far as your conjurer goes: are you going to bind spirits? If not, you might take a look at Chainbreaker as a possible quality as well.

Also, if you do decide to change your tradition, you might take a look at Druidic since it's Intuition-based and fits Tuatha de Danann perfectly considering it's a Celtic tradition. You might even take a look at the traditionalist druid variant. Most of it won't apply to you as an Aspected Conjurer but if you're not going to use Binding, you might just as well take it for the free Mentor Spirit.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #164 on: <07-04-18/0215:04> »
We can use the house rule. You lower cap not current unless current is at cap.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking