NEWS

SR 6 info

• 745 Replies

easl

• Newb
« Reply #150 on: <05-13-19/1948:59> »
On the first part I was tried when I was writing this and may have miss read a earlier post.
As for the "Max 5 minor action" thing, this was confirmed by Jason Hardy (Line Developer) during the Shadowrun 6th Edition Interview Q&A on Shadowcasters Network.
If people can still get 5d6 but the last die gives no Minor, I know my first houserule already.

This brings up an interesting question, as to whether the '4 minor max' rule comes after all the calculation or at every stage.  I.e., Sam Street starts with 1 Major 2 Minors (sounds like quite the studious college student!).  Through initiative and other game mechanics, he 'earns' 3 extra minor actions. He plans on converting 4 minors to a second major. Does this mean:
1. He's maxed out at 4. So when he converts, he ends up with 2 Majors, period. Or...
2. He converts 4 of them to a Major, giving him 2 Majors and 1 Minor. Since he's now under the 4-minor limit, he's good.

Banshee, any feedback?

easl

• Newb
« Reply #151 on: <05-13-19/1958:24> »
How MAD are deckers - well that will ultimately come down to play style but for 95% of what a decker is intended to do you only need 2 attributes and 2 skills

Excellent. Personally I'm a fan of a 'role' not needing a whole bunch of skills and attributes. It allows for multidimensional PCs that still have competitive dice pools in their primary role.
Question: is the same true for Technos? Riggers? I'm really hoping Technos, in particular, don't need all four non-physical attributes just to replace a deck like in SR 5.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #152 on: <05-13-19/2000:01> »
Wireless - wireless bonuses are still a thing and will probably be just as impactful if you are paranoid about being hacked ... most of the bonuses feed into the action economy (effectively making certain minor actions a "free" action by giving you a bonus minor action ... ie changing a clip with a smartgun"
Please don't make this mistake again. Making everything wireless just to give hackers something to hack is demeaning to the playerbase.
Agreed. It was a blatantly obvious ploy from the day the book came out. Everything wireless and hackable was only thrown in because they wanted to kick hackers out of the van, especially when they changed from having to be within mutual signal strength to the godawful Noise mechanic, and they realized that, "Oh, drek, the hackers are utterly fucked. We better nerf everyone so they don't feel like they got drekked on. Except TMs, fuck those guys."
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #153 on: <05-13-19/2042:41> »
If they wanted to nerf everyone relative to deckers, they wouldn't have left the "turn everything to wireless-off" option as a free action ;)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #154 on: <05-13-19/2224:20> »
Agreed. It was a blatantly obvious ploy from the day the book came out. Everything wireless and hackable was only thrown in because they wanted to kick hackers out of the van, especially when they changed from having to be within mutual signal strength to the godawful Noise mechanic, and they realized that, "Oh, drek, the hackers are utterly fucked. We better nerf everyone so they don't feel like they got drekked on. Except TMs, fuck those guys."
Wait, how's that work? Doesn't making everything wireless make hackers more likely to stay in the van, whereas making most things be wired-only boot them out of the van?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #155 on: <05-13-19/2341:00> »
...Run For Your Life to avoid an AOE attack is an Interrupt Action which costs 5 Initiative.  A "normal"(INT + REA) dodge during combat doesn't (or Missions has been doing it entirely wrong for years).
Dodge LITERALLY is an Interrupt Action which costs 5 Initiative. Page 186. SR5 Core. So again, why are you claiming it's a free action in SR5 and thus a problem that it's a Minor in SR6?
...apparently a semantics issue here.

On page 173 of the Core Rules under Combat Sequence: Step 3 Defend. It says nothing about this being an Interrupt Action.  A character can use this as long as they have enough dice in their INT + REA pool.

I'm currently looking at P. 186 of the Core Rules which describes Melee combat and there is no mention anywhere on that page of "dodging" [defending] being an interrupt action that takes -5 initiative  It mentions about Reach, has a sidebar about changing damage types, and then goes into several melee combat modifiers on the succeeding pages.

The Dodge action you mention of is listed on P. 191 which involves using Intuition + Reaction + Gymnastics (essentially the Acrobatic Defender quality in Run & Gun). It is not the normal "Defence" test (again which many refer to as "dodge" during play) listed on P. 173.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #156 on: <05-13-19/2344:41> »
Avoidance has always been more effective then soak. My question is what is the action cost of an interrupt action?
Are they Majors? minors? Are borrowing them from next turn? It seems very odd to me that in game where they are clearly stomping to hell action economy. I feel sure interrupt are not going to be free.

As to Edge ever sense they said glitch on 2, it was already obvious edge was way out of hand. We haven't seen system stuff that bad sense the early days of StoryTeller.
...agreed.  Being able to use Edge to increase the chance of an opponent experiencing a glitch takes it out of the realm of a "situational modifier" and makes it seem more like a "power".

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #157 on: <05-14-19/0016:54> »
The Dodge action you mention of is listed on P. 191 which involves using Intuition + Reaction + Gymnastics
Yes. The Dodge Action, aka active dodging. And no, it has nothing to do with Acrobatic Defender, which replaces your Full Defense bonus in SR5.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #158 on: <05-14-19/0102:56> »
I was waiting for someone to foolishly bring up upgrading the armor on vehicles.

Sure, it helps lock out lower damage weapons from damaging the vehicle.

The double edged sword effect is that when the arms race catches up to you, and you get up to the weapons that can reliably do any damage (Shotguns, Assault Cannons, Sniper Rifles, Grenades, Explosives) they are doing tremendous amounts of damage that outstrip your vehicles ability to soak the extra damage.

Add to that that more armor increases the cost of the vehicle, and that increases the cost for repairs.

So, let's take a Roadmaster as an example.
18 Body, 27 Armor.
We will use a basic, off-the-shelf Panther XXL Assault Cannon
17 DV, -6 AP

Not terribly likely a successful attack will land, but 5 Net Hits isn't against possibility with a base Accuracy of 7.

22 DV versus Body of 18 + Armor of 21.  39 Dice to resist when you statistically need around 66 to stop all damage.
You will get about 13 Resistance reducing that damage down to 9.  Which will cost you 25,425 Nuyen to repair.
The kicker is, if you went with Concealed Armor, you would take more damage and spend more Nuyen per box than with standard.  (This is based on a Roadmaster that only has the armor upgrade, not any of the other neat stuff people want.)
...now when you bring out the "big guns" that is a different story.

An Auto Assault Shotgun which is capable of burst and full auto, loaded with Handload EXEX slugs starts at a base DV of 16 (- 3 AP) and goes up from there.  Tricked out to have a 7 accuracy (internal smartlink and personalised grip) and outfitted with maximum recoil compensation, it has the potential to deliver a total 23 DV. OK, not so great against say a Bulldog, but a small to mid sized car or light truck will at least be reduced to "limping" away.

In the hands of someone highly skilled in Longarms, a Semi Auto Sniper Rifle (particularly using the Double Tap called shot) is one of the best "vehicle killers" around (they're also not too shabby against spirits if there is no Spell Slinger or an Adept around). 
« Last Edit: <05-14-19/0112:03> by kyoto kid »

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #159 on: <05-14-19/0110:59> »
The Dodge action you mention of is listed on P. 191 which involves using Intuition + Reaction + Gymnastics
Yes. The Dodge Action, aka active dodging. And no, it has nothing to do with Acrobatic Defender, which replaces your Full Defense bonus in SR5.
...the mechanics are still the same:  INT + REA + Gymnastics Skill, (not pool) in place of Willpower, subject to Physical Limit.  The difference is yes, it is a -10 initiative Interrupt and lasts the balance of the combat turn rather than just a single initiative phase.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #160 on: <05-14-19/0807:21> »
On the first part I was tried when I was writing this and may have miss read a earlier post.
As for the "Max 5 minor action" thing, this was confirmed by Jason Hardy (Line Developer) during the Shadowrun 6th Edition Interview Q&A on Shadowcasters Network.
If people can still get 5d6 but the last die gives no Minor, I know my first houserule already.

This brings up an interesting question, as to whether the '4 minor max' rule comes after all the calculation or at every stage.  I.e., Sam Street starts with 1 Major 2 Minors (sounds like quite the studious college student!).  Through initiative and other game mechanics, he 'earns' 3 extra minor actions. He plans on converting 4 minors to a second major. Does this mean:
1. He's maxed out at 4. So when he converts, he ends up with 2 Majors, period. Or...
2. He converts 4 of them to a Major, giving him 2 Majors and 1 Minor. Since he's now under the 4-minor limit, he's good.

Banshee, any feedback?

I responded in another post too, but to clarify there is NOT a max number of minor actions ... what the rule says is that you can have a maximum of +5d6 initiative dice which means by extension you can only have 6 minor actions just based off of initiative at most but there is gear and qualities that can also give you minor actions
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #161 on: <05-14-19/0830:25> »

Banshee, any feedback?

I responded in another post too, but to clarify there is NOT a max number of minor actions ... what the rule says is that you can have a maximum of +5d6 initiative dice which means by extension you can only have 6 minor actions just based off of initiative at most but there is gear and qualities that can also give you minor actions

If I understand this correctly then, characters with the better initiative improving items (cyberware or magic) should generally be able to get two major actions and a few minors when combining initiative boosting things with gear, assuming they don't roll terribly, of course? As I don't know the system yet and am waiting for 6th edition to start, would this also apply to decking and rigging (I'm assuming they have similar initiative boosters available, plus archetype specific toys)?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #162 on: <05-14-19/0841:27> »
sort of ... what you roll has no effect on how many actions you get it is all based on how many dice you have ... what you roll on determines when you get to act

and yes the same thing applies to all initiative types ... physical, matrix, and astral
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #163 on: <05-14-19/2123:45> »
sort of ... what you roll has no effect on how many actions you get it is all based on how many dice you have ... what you roll on determines when you get to act

and yes the same thing applies to all initiative types ... physical, matrix, and astral

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #164 on: <05-15-19/0844:13> »
Wait, how's that work? Doesn't making everything wireless make hackers more likely to stay in the van, whereas making most things be wired-only boot them out of the van?
Before, when you needed to be in mutual signal range to hack something, you could literally hack something on the other side of the planet, if you went through international networks or satellite links. It wasn't uncommon for a hacker to spend the 'legwork' part of the run in full VR, probing a target building to get an admin account so that they could log in 'legitimately' once the run went down, limiting their exposure. The advent of Noise and Overwatch Score (combined with lower dice pools overall) meant you couldn't take the slow, safe approach any more, leading to more brute force, on the spot hacks, because that was the only way to keep a large enough pool so that you wouldn't bring down all the IC on your head.

Going back to everything being wireless, every illegal matrix action you took boosted your OS, whether it worked or not, and Noise worked against you. So to hack someone's smartgun, you'd need to be close enough that the Noise wouldn't fuck with you, and if you did too much illegal stuff between times rebooting all your gear, your OS would get high enough that GOD would drop on your head in the middle of a run.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters