NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings

• 1943 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #525 on: <02-13-13/1312:46> »
I hoped as well but I'd missed a rule which means that instead of taking a couple hours it'll probably take longer than an unbound spirit actually remains in service for.

So post away.

depends on how good we roll.  The spirit is there for the entire night (I don't know when dawn will come), even though we can't follow for that entire time.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #526 on: <02-13-13/1325:53> »
The spirit has until dawn, which should give you a minimum of 10 chances at the test, if both spirits are working together and the mages give a boost for the first four, there is no reason you shouldn't get there unless the foci are concealed some how.  That information would be a clue itself, so you should try.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #527 on: <02-13-13/1328:12> »
I hoped as well but I'd missed a rule which means that instead of taking a couple hours it'll probably take longer than an unbound spirit actually remains in service for.

So post away.

Which rule is that? As I'm reading the rules, the spirit's search power (SR4A p. 297) is a magic+ intuition (5, 10 minutes) test, with the threshold going up 5 for a nonliving object (note: I'm not sure if this penalty is meant to apply to foci; I would personally expect it to apply just to items which don't have an astral presence), and one additional point for each kilometer away. So if we're within 20 kilometers, we're talking about a threshold of 30.

For a force 4 spirit of air, you could buy two hits per each 10 minute period (4 magic + 4 intuition = 8 ); that's 12 hits per hour, or 30 hits in two and a half hours...
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #528 on: <02-13-13/1333:26> »

So post away.

Which rule is that? As I'm reading the rules, the spirit's search power (SR4A p. 297) is a magic+ intuition (5, 10 minutes) test, with the threshold going up 5 for a nonliving object (note: I'm not sure if this penalty is meant to apply to foci; I would personally expect it to apply just to items which don't have an astral presence), and one additional point for each kilometer away. So if we're within 20 kilometers, we're talking about a threshold of 30.

For a force 4 spirit of air, you could buy two hits per each 10 minute period (4 magic + 4 intuition = 8 ); that's 12 hits per hour, or 30 hits in two and a half hours...

They are talking about astral tracking of bonded foci, which is a similar test, but the duration is an hour.

Rhat, regardless of the mages continueing to try their search, Fionne would finish first, so feel free to post, I will handle their results afterwards..

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #529 on: <02-13-13/1355:32> »
They are talking about astral tracking of bonded foci, which is a similar test, but the duration is an hour.

Ah. Hadn't looked at that one. Though I have to say, I'm not sure it's better than just using the spirits' search ability, especially since the threshold goes up by 1 for every hour since the astral link was active--which is going to be at least 12, since they haven't been able to use the foci all day (and probably weren't using them that close to when we woke up, so that takes it even higher). Astral tracking's not limited by distance, sure, but the time difference (in this case) is huge.  ???

Hrm, let's play with the numbers. Assuming one can get 2 hits per test, and that it's only been 12 hours since the foci were active--a very conservative estimate, if you ask me--and that there isn't a mana barrier or other form of concealment, we're talking about taking 9 hours for the astral tracking route. That's 54 10-minute periods, enough to do a (108,10 minutes) extended test search...the equivalent of searching for a non-living object concealed by someone with 10 magic behind a force 10 mana barrier up to 78 kilometers away from us.

Of course, Yakima is about 200 km from Seattle, so if our gear's back home, then a search wouldn't do it for us. :-\ Guess it depends on whether our mages figure that our gear is relatively close to where we are, or that we were actively using our gear relatively close to when we woke up.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #530 on: <02-13-13/1400:28> »
I'd say go for it. It might be close, if not at least you checked and covered our bases. If you cant find it after a few hours give up and you can check again when we get to the nearest town.

Just my two cents.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #531 on: <02-13-13/1408:11> »
Okay, time for some rough justice, as Judge Marilyn Milian puts it.

The mages and I all kinda fumbled the astral tracking rules, so I am gonna get this fixed.  Both of them successfully generated spirits to help them track, so the best way to get this done is for Sammy's Spirit to be the lead searcher and the rest to help, with the mages falling out after 4 and 5 hours due to astral body limitations.  The lead can only get a bonus up it's skill for the combined effort, so a max boost of 5.  Gorean, Heron would still have his edge since I would assume with that situation you wouldn't pop it just to coordinate.

Fire Sprit is 5 Intuition and 5 Assensing with a max boost of 5 to it's total.

Air Spirit is 4 & 4 to coordinate for the whole search.
Sammy is 3 & 3 for the first 5 hours
Heron is 3 & 1 for the first 4.

I will roll the dice and make any adjustments needed as we go.  Everyone clear?  Super.  :P

Gorean

« Reply #533 on: <02-13-13/1424:38> »

So post away.

The main differences between astral tracking and search power is tracking finds an exact object, search finds the first object that looks like a mental image and that search is affected by distance but tracking is not.

The rule I forgot was that foci deactivate when taken from a mage, (So time since active is added to threshold.)

Gorean

« Reply #534 on: <02-13-13/1425:21> »
Heron's spirit's coordination checks, 10 hours (8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=6, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=0, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=0)  No Glitches

Sammy's coordination checks, 5 hours (6d6.hits(5)=2, 6d6.hits(5)=2, 6d6.hits(5)=1, 6d6.hits(5)=2, 6d6.hits(5)=2) Glitch in the 3rd hour, will assume farothel will negate, but the glitch won't impact the search so I will move on.

Heron's coordination checks, 4 hours (4d6.hits(5)=1, 4d6.hits(5)=2, 4d6.hits(5)=1, 4d6.hits(5)=1) Also a glitch in the 3rd hour, interesting, same scenario, let me know.

Yeah i'll spend edge to negate the glitch, the threshold is high enough without raising it another 3 :-)

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #535 on: <02-13-13/1428:59> »
Okay, time for some rough justice, as Judge Marilyn Milian puts it.

The mages and I all kinda fumbled the astral tracking rules, so I am gonna get this fixed.  Both of them successfully generated spirits to help them track, so the best way to get this done is for Sammy's Spirit to be the lead searcher and the rest to help, with the mages falling out after 4 and 5 hours due to astral body limitations.  The lead can only get a bonus up it's skill for the combined effort, so a max boost of 5.  Gorean, Heron would still have his edge since I would assume with that situation you wouldn't pop it just to coordinate.

Fire Sprit is 5 Intuition and 5 Assensing with a max boost of 5 to it's total.

Air Spirit is 4 & 4 to coordinate for the whole search.
Sammy is 3 & 3 for the first 5 hours
Heron is 3 & 1 for the first 4.

I will roll the dice and make any adjustments needed as we go.  Everyone clear?  Super.  :P

And if we are really needed to help, we can return to our bodies and then go out immediately again for another 'magic' hours.  As far as I've seen, there's no rule preventing it, except maybe fatigue (we've been awake for some time  ;) ).

Other than that, good idea on the spirit ruling.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #536 on: <02-13-13/1438:23> »
Fire Spirit tracking dice, by hour: 15, 15, 14, 15, 15, 13, 12, 10, 14, 10

Fire Spirit's Astral Tracking running total by hour. I rolled 15 everytime, so I will remove the dice off the end of the roll to account for the difference. 7, 9, 13, 20, 25, 30, 33, 36, 39, 43 No Glithes, even after adjustments.

I hope everyone is okay with this, I will move the story forward to the apprpriate point once RHat does his post.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #537 on: <02-13-13/1442:46> »
And if we are really needed to help, we can return to our bodies and then go out immediately again for another 'magic' hours.  As far as I've seen, there's no rule preventing it, except maybe fatigue (we've been awake for some time  ;) ).

I will look, but that sounds abusive, consider this a house rule until I say otherwise, you can perceive right away, but you cannot project after a long trip unless you stay 'anchored' for a time equal to half the time you were gone.  Long trip= more than an hour

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #538 on: <02-13-13/1506:50> »

I will look, but that sounds abusive, consider this a house rule until I say otherwise, you can perceive right away, but you cannot project after a long trip unless you stay 'anchored' for a time equal to half the time you were gone.  Long trip= more than an hour

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on doing that.  After coming back, I was planning on crashing on a couch somewhere to have a good night's sleep (or what's left of it).  :)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #539 on: <02-13-13/1749:53> »
Will get Fionn's registration finished up fairly soon.  Posting from phone presently.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites