NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings

• 1943 Replies

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #270 on: <01-26-13/0606:56> »
For what it's worth, I think it's entirely appropriate for hermetic mages.
Hermetic magic is a "logical" approach to magic ... It is one part chemistry, one part philosophy, one part mathematics, and yet none of them at the same time.
If anyone is going to get technical and precise in measurement over magic, it's them.

Was it actually the Fear Critter Power we were hit by?

Fear was one, the Alpha opened up with Paralyzing Howl.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #271 on: <01-26-13/0917:13> »
For what it's worth, I think it's entirely appropriate for hermetic mages.
Hermetic magic is a "logical" approach to magic ... It is one part chemistry, one part philosophy, one part mathematics, and yet none of them at the same time.
If anyone is going to get technical and precise in measurement over magic, it's them.

That's indeed why I did it like that.  :)  And I also find it difficult to write about it on a PbP without using the exact names as in the book.  That's one of the things that's more difficult.  As soon as we start the summoning, writing it out is easier I find.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #272 on: <01-26-13/1756:54> »
Schwartskopf's scale of manifestation.  +1 to you Gorean.  I hadn't thought about using something like that.  ;)

Luckily I didn't get any hits for the spirit either, as I didn't roll to well.  I had to try twice before it worked.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

Gorean

« Reply #273 on: <01-26-13/1801:52> »
I thought I'd use something like that because I remember seeing force mentioned in fluff like the novels but not seen it since 4ed.  :)

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #274 on: <01-26-13/2107:50> »
I'd just like to point out that I'd gladly roll Torley's charisma against O'Connor's, especially if we add in an appropriate modifier for the blood, in order to find out which way the groups split.  ;D
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #275 on: <01-27-13/0303:28> »
Best detailed directions that can be given:

Go down hill to the bottom of the valley intill you reach a stream, follow downstream until you find the bridge, turn right at the bridge and follow the path, the clearing with the lodge is at the end.

\
Notice there is no distance information in this description, best distance guess is the bridge is before the mountains run out.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #276 on: <01-27-13/2031:13> »
Anyone who wasn't previously aware, by the way, should notice Fionn's accent.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #277 on: <01-28-13/1112:56> »
Well, it didn't take long for us to split the party.  ;) Here's hoping all of us have nice, uneventful strolls through the woods to the lodge.

...though, somehow given the GM's periodic reminders that we don't know how far we have to go...I'm kind of expecting that it'll be a while before we get there. :-\
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #278 on: <01-28-13/1150:04> »
@ Crossbow: Something that I've been wondering is did they strip us of ALL our gear? Like they took our contacts out of our eyes and what not? And I don't even know if they would be useful without comm-links. All I know is when it gets dark us humans might have a problem.

@ the mages: So each group is cloaked from each other as well? Second question since the barghests are dual natured can they see/track the spirits of man?

Also this is just a guess but I'm pretty sure the next rolls we get to make are gonna be to not get lost in BFE. We didn't get lucky and have someone with a compass built into their head in our little group did we?  :-\
The sense of extreme foreboding is in the air...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Gorean

« Reply #279 on: <01-28-13/1209:04> »
@ the mages: So each group is cloaked from each other as well? Second question since the barghests are dual natured can they see/track the spirits of man?

Anybody making a perception test.

The spirits are manifest so they can affect us. So dual natured makes no difference.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #280 on: <01-28-13/1316:12> »

Anybody making a perception test.

The spirits are manifest so they can affect us. So dual natured makes no difference.

That's why we had to make them force 5 instead of 4, so they could affect themselves with the concealment power (they can affect a number of subject equal to their magic rating, which is equal to their force).  It also works on the astral (as Gorean has said, the spirits are currently dual natured).  But the groups are indeed cloaked from each other.  Actually we can still find each other, but with a -5 penalty to perception rolls, so it's going to be difficult.

PS: I have the flu, so while I'm at home, I'll probably not be online as much as I used to.  :(

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #281 on: <01-28-13/1432:32> »
The only gear any of you have is cyber/bioware.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #282 on: <01-28-13/1457:19> »
Well, it didn't take long for us to split the party.  ;) Here's hoping all of us have nice, uneventful strolls through the woods to the lodge.

...though, somehow given the GM's periodic reminders that we don't know how far we have to go...I'm kind of expecting that it'll be a while before we get there. :-\

Not so much, what I am doing is trying to establish the limits of astral perception, which I have found can be abused at times.  There is a tendancy to give a lot of exact scientific measurement which would be almost impossible from my reading of the material.

That said, if anyone want to try and guesstimate some distances based on what sammy reported using Physical percetion, I will allow you to try.

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #283 on: <01-28-13/1543:45> »
I'm not sure if that discounts my enhanced perception.
If not: 8d6.hits(5)=4
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #284 on: <01-28-13/1606:15> »
I'm not sure if that discounts my enhanced perception.
If not: 8d6.hits(5)=4

It does, especially since the last three dice come from goggles.  taking off the last three dice, doesn't change your successes though, so figuring you figure that keeping a reasonable pace and allowing for caution, terrain and wounded you could travel about 10 kilometers before sundown.  If that lodge is somewhere in this valley below you, you have about a 50-50 chance of getting there today.