NEWS

Holograms, grenades, nano-smoke, and ruthenium polymer questions

• 5 Replies

shadowwoelf

• Newb
« on: <07-31-13/1652:51> »
I had a few questions in regards to gear that I was hoping someone could help clear up.

Holograms-
1. How life like do the holograms appear?
2. Does the hologram moving affect the appearance of it?
3. How big is the projector/power source ?

Grenades -
1. What is the general size of a grenade?
2. For chem grenades how much can you mix in ingredients?

Nano-smoke -
1. Nano-smoke grenades: Is the only limiting factor for nano-smoke grenades the pre-programming?

Ruthenium polymer -
Since I believe ruthenium polymer is a meta-material that bends light around an object what happens if a light is shined inside the object?
Example. A flashlight that is covered in ruthenium polymer. When you turn it on does the light from the flashlight go outside or does it get reflected inside?

I am trying to think up unique uses for items during runs and needed some help clarifying some of these things.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #1 on: <07-31-13/2015:07> »

I had a few questions in regards to gear that I was hoping someone could help clear up.

Holograms-
1. How life like do the holograms appear?
They show up pretty realistic but you can some times still tell they are a hologram.
2. Does the hologram moving affect the appearance of it?
They movement does not.
3. How big is the projector/power source ?
They are pretty small. because they come out out of a commlink. also does not use much power.

Grenades -
1. What is the general size of a grenade?
Like the normal ones we have now.
2. For chem grenades how much can you mix in ingredients?
Hmmm unknown to me at least.

Nano-smoke -
1. Nano-smoke grenades: Is the only limiting factor for nano-smoke grenades the pre-programming?

Ruthenium polymer -
Since I believe ruthenium polymer is a meta-material that bends light around an object what happens if a light is shined inside the object?
Example. A flashlight that is covered in ruthenium polymer. When you turn it on does the light from the flashlight go outside or does it get reflected inside?

From how I understand it  it works by using cams to protect everything around it there for make it invisible. Maybe in SR5 they have moved on to meta materials that bend light around it.

I am trying to think up unique uses for items during runs and needed some help clarifying some of these things.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Charasanya

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-01-13/0755:13> »
Grenades: Mini grenades (for grenade launchers) can be about as small as a shot-glass, while the trowable kind are about as big as an apple or an orange.

Ruthenium Polymer: In general this is is a material that can change color. In no way does it bend light or anything, unless it assumes a mirror-like surface (which is AFAIK unclear if it can or not).

The concealment that RP is able to provide, comes mostly from the fact, that the computer that controls the color of the material, is able to instantly assume a coloring scheme that ideally blends in with the current environment, more or less like the most optimized camouflage you could put on in any situation.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-02-13/0312:17> »
Regarding Ruthenium Polymer coatings is that as an Infiltration expert, you should always have your gear coated with the stuff. A flashlight isn't going to be much use if the source is hidden, but the guards or sensors can see the effects of light bouncing off surfaces. You should have low-light and thermal capabilities with glasses, goggles or contacts at the least. I usually have one small backpack with ruthenium coating to carry extra gear and to stash loot that is not easily concealable.

The idea I would like to run with if a GM approves is finding a chemist who can create a Spray-on Ruthenium Polymer coating from an aerosol can (probably with some nanites programmed to arrange the polymers for optimal concealment). Spray with a Signal-blocking Paint first as well and you can make a man-sized object disappear from a security system's sensors with some degree of certainty.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-13/1510:57> »
Regarding Ruthenium Polymer coatings is that as an Infiltration expert, you should always have your gear coated with the stuff. A flashlight isn't going to be much use if the source is hidden, but the guards or sensors can see the effects of light bouncing off surfaces. You should have low-light and thermal capabilities with glasses, goggles or contacts at the least. I usually have one small backpack with ruthenium coating to carry extra gear and to stash loot that is not easily concealable.

The idea I would like to run with if a GM approves is finding a chemist who can create a Spray-on Ruthenium Polymer coating from an aerosol can (probably with some nanites programmed to arrange the polymers for optimal concealment). Spray with a Signal-blocking Paint first as well and you can make a man-sized object disappear from a security system's sensors with some degree of certainty.

It's a little too complex to be available in a can :p in fact, there alot going on in the ruthenium coating. First, tiny cameras placed on the object that is coated scan the surroundings for color, patterns, and textures. Next the cameras relay this info to the coating, and the coating then tries to mimic said colors, patterns and textures in an effort to blur your 3 dimensional profile.

It's failings come in when you run into certain situations like the following:

Fast movement: the faster you move, the less time the cameras and coating have to scan, adapt, and blend into the background, at really high speeds you end up with a 'blurring' effect that could be noticeable (GMs call)

Thermographic vision: the system itself produces heat, just as anything with energy running through it does. So Vs a thermo camera, you still stand out. This can not be overcome by thermal dampening because the coating must be your most "outside" layer to hide you.

Totally ineffective against spirits and astral perception: spirits and astral perception see your aura, not the colors of your clothing or the colors of the surroundings. So to a perceiving Mage, or a spirit, the coating does nothing.

Sonic scanners and radar: both these systems work by 'pinging' an area with sound waves and building a 3D model of the environment based on how long the return 'ping' takes to get back to the sensor, and the change in modulation caused by the density object. Color has nothing to do with it, so to these sensors, you still stand out.

All that said, ruthenium coating is still a VERY effective tool that every infeltration expert should have in their tool box! It's short commings are far outweighed by the advantages it gives. And besides, a good infeltration expert should have other ways to get around the above opposition :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.