NEWS

MRU-13 and TRU-13

• 6 Replies

Lorebane24

• Omae
« on: <03-05-18/0513:18> »
Magical Research Unit 13 is mentioned in Street Grimoire, with Book of the Lost mentioning a Thaumaturgical Research Unit 13.  They sound somewhat different in both books (SR gave the impression that it comprised MCT's most powerful and ruthless initiates, while they are more of a mix bag of talent in BotL).  So are they different organizations with similar names?  Is one a splinter unit?  Is it just a retcon?
The power of the Tri-Horse!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-18/0536:51> »
Probably a typo overlooked during the making of book of the lost? In any case, it could be the same unit but renamed and repurposed...

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-05-18/1829:11> »
I was wondering that as well.  It could certainly be read that way.  Only thing that bugged me a bit is how in Street Grimoire they talk about these guys like they're one-man armies, and in BotL they have stats for the director of the whole thing and he's a level 2 initiate.  Nothing to scoff at, for sure, but it seems underwhelming for the head of Big Ten black-ops initiate group when he's paired next to other assets that have magic scores of 12 and up.  I mean I know I'm free to buff him up (and will), it just struck me as kind of odd.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <03-19-18/2005:50> »
Same unit, new name. Things change. But as the one who wrote that section, look at it this way: when the previous CO was "retired" for cowardice, the unit designation was changed slightly to remove the "taint" of the old one.

My two cents. Sorry it wasn't included, but word count sucks.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <03-19-18/2121:35> »
I love it when a freelancer is able to come on to the forum and give a bit of extra detail about something they wrote.  Shows how much you guys care.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-20-18/1503:41> »
I agree.  I actually really like how the lore of Shadowrun is spread out and quasi-hidden like this, because it leads to so much speculation and so many potential runs, but the writers chiming in here makes it easier to keep straight.

Neojudas

• Newb
  • 30 Years and Counting
« Reply #6 on: <04-05-18/2318:56> »
Same unit, new name. Things change. But as the one who wrote that section, look at it this way: when the previous CO was "retired" for cowardice, the unit designation was changed slightly to remove the "taint" of the old one.

My two cents. Sorry it wasn't included, but word count sucks.
uhm, BotL is after other mentioning of it being MRU-13 I thought.  The timeline references are fractured due to release issues I know, but I wasn’t aware of a major change for this PITA magical group.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
NeoJudas (J. Keith Henry, "K" to some....)
Penumbra Games | Freelancer
"I have active characters that are older than you are..."