NEWS

Military armor

• 60 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <04-16-13/1624:54> »
But you can bet that a Corp with a sizable presence in a city is going to have both (magical and military) troops somewhere in the sprawl.

It's one thing to have a presence in the sprawl. It's another thing to be in the same building. I live in Chicago, when this place gets crowded it's nasty to move about. I have an old co-worker who moved to NYC. He said the daily crowds are about as bad as Chicago's busiest crowds. I can't imagine that a heavy response team would always be able to get from their staging facility out to where the runners are very quickly.

not on foot or by car, that's for sure!

but by helicopter/ rotor drone? sure. A lot of Companies make use of this travel method today, let alone in 60 years.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-16-13/2017:28> »
The point is that people go way too overboard with the "escalation" business, and honestly, for some people the goodies like that are a big part of why they play the game. To "magically" upgrade all the security forces to Special Forces Commando Units because someone wants/takes military armor is just wrong to do to someone.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-16-13/2023:19> »
The point is that people go way too overboard with the "escalation" business, and honestly, for some people the goodies like that are a big part of why they play the game. To "magically" upgrade all the security forces to Special Forces Commando Units because someone wants/takes military armor is just wrong to do to someone.

On the other hand, upgrading the jobs they're hired for makes sense, and helps a bit with that feeling of progression - but that still won't be instant.  It would take a couple runs after getting that sort of capability to become known for having that sort of capability.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-16-13/2032:48> »

On the other hand, upgrading the jobs they're hired for makes sense, and helps a bit with that feeling of progression - but that still won't be instant.  It would take a couple runs after getting that sort of capability to become known for having that sort of capability.

A couple runs at minimum and that would also be against the same corporation. More than likely it would be around the half dozen mark at least unless for some strange reason all of their jobs are against the same corp.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-16-13/2037:19> »

A couple runs at minimum and that would also be against the same corporation. More than likely it would be around the half dozen mark at least unless for some strange reason all of their jobs are against the same corp.

...  No, it would not take multiple runs against the same corp for their rep to shift such that they get hired for different sorts of jobs - now they're being sent at the places where those assets were already in place to begin with; accordingly, they're also getting paid more (and, to keep things balanced, should be getting more Karma).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #20 on: <04-17-13/0014:19> »
You two aren't disagreeing, you're just not understanding each other.  RHat means the runner will be hired for bigger and better things once he's known for being able to handle them.  A4BG is saying that it'd take quite a few runs against a corp for them to upgrade their stuff just to deter the specific runner.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <04-17-13/0022:43> »
You two aren't disagreeing, you're just not understanding each other.  RHat means the runner will be hired for bigger and better things once he's known for being able to handle them.  A4BG is saying that it'd take quite a few runs against a corp for them to upgrade their stuff just to deter the specific runner.

Yeah, it was seeming like we were talking about two different things...

Though on an earlier comment, if a Johnson ever says the phrase "milk run" then that is generally a good cue to bust out that heavy-duty hardware because it is going to go FUBAR rapidly.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #22 on: <04-17-13/0051:50> »

Yeah, it was seeming like we were talking about two different things...

Though on an earlier comment, if a Johnson ever says the phrase "milk run" then that is generally a good cue to bust out that heavy-duty hardware because it is going to go FUBAR rapidly.

Oh come on!!!! You ALWAYS trust the Johnson :p
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #23 on: <04-17-13/0059:28> »
*robot voice* Always...trust...Johnson... beep!

No, seriously, he's right.  If I heard anyone say a run was a milk run or any other euphemism for easy, I'd be more tempted to shoot him and duck out while I still had the chance.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <04-19-13/0300:20> »
Piece of cake, kindergarten playdate, milk run anyone?

Mil Spec anything at character generation is more than likely money/BPs/Karma mis-spent.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #25 on: <04-19-13/0635:32> »

That's a pretty broad generalization.

Depends on the style of play, starting BP, character concept...

I can see where a Pink Mohawk table would be rolling milspec heavy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #26 on: <04-19-13/0651:20> »
I've only had milspec armor on one character, and that was primarily for background purposes, or the rare case when they were going in expecting a drekstorm. He had other armor for his day-to-day work.

Really, even in the pinkest of Pink Mohawk campaigns, wearing milspec in any situation where you're not A) on a military base, B) storming a stronghold where 'shock and awe' are necessary to even have a prayer of coming out alive, or C) taking on magical threats like toxic shamans or bugs, it just draws too much attention.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-19-13/0835:07> »
Yeah, MilSpec armor is very niche in the same sense that unconcealable forbidden weapons like assault cannons and whatnot are. Also, a lot of people seem to have some real misconceptions about how good it is. The big selling point of MilSpec armor is that if you are an ordinary dude with Body in the 2-6 range, you can get solid armor scores out of MilSpec, but past that it is actually going to be less armor than you could get from conventional armor. It by no means makes you invincible - it doesn't even make you as tough as an average ork or troll wearing totally legal armor.

Actually, the only characters I've seen use it have been hackers and riggers who wanted to avoid face-to-face contact as much as possible, and operated under the assumption that if people saw their armor the run was already going south and they would rather be better defended.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #28 on: <04-19-13/0915:22> »
Well, there are limited uses besides that. Infiltrating a Renraku building is a lot easier when the team is wearing Red Samurai armor, and the Face knows how to sling the lingo, for instance. But as for actual combat effectiveness, I agree, it is primarily good for the characters with mid-range Body scores, since milspec encumbrance is Body*3 instead of Body*2. If you're a troll tank, you're better off with other armor.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #29 on: <04-19-13/0949:30> »

I, personally, never use it. Even on my tanks.

At least not as starting gear...maybe in a SOL kit stashed away somewhere...

But I've seen people run games where they walk around in the stuff...silly...but it's their game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist