NEWS

How do Smooth things over?

• 9 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <02-10-14/1241:11> »
I'm going to be GMing, one of my New players is a guy I played with this weekend (Someone else was GMing.) Well the guy that is going to be playing in my campaign. Our characters got into a little in group fighting, which didn't end well for his character. My character ended up subduing/raping/kidnapping/torturing/killing/selling his character. I don't think there is any hard feelings, I was playing in character and his guy screwed up pretty bad.
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-10-14/1303:41> »
Just pull him aside and say "hey, I didn't pick on you for anythign personal I was just playing my character who is a bit of a jerk; I hope there are no hard feelings?"
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-10-14/1312:02> »

My character ended up subduing/raping/kidnapping/torturing/killing/selling his character.

:o
All of this at once or one after the other ?
Thats a lot of reasons to hold a Grudge.
If that would be me I wouldn't want to play with You anymore and especially not that You'd be a GM where I'm playing

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-10-14/1327:34> »
My character ended up subduing/raping/kidnapping/torturing/killing/selling his character.

:o
All of this at once or one after the other ?
Thats a lot of reasons to hold a Grudge.
If that would be me I wouldn't want to play with You anymore and especially not that You'd be a GM where I'm playing

HokaHey
Medicineman

Probably needs a little explanation. His character ended up killing 2 innocents and a Lonestar officer. Got his face plastered over all the trids, there was a massive manhunt out for him. We were suppose to be discrete. My character and another team member agreed he had to be taken out, before he was caught and got us exposed on major run we were on. I agreed to meet his character, I tasered him, then we got caught by voyeuristic security guard, I had to convince we were lovers as I'm trying to get this large unconscious ork into the trunk of my car. I ended up having to kill the security guard. I took him to safe house where I met the other character and we had to find out if he gave anyone information about us or the run. Then we agreed to kill him and I had local Tamanous Contact I was able to dispose of the body and I got some Nuyen out of it.
« Last Edit: <02-10-14/1329:14> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-10-14/1330:39> »
Just pull him aside and say "hey, I didn't pick on you for anythign personal I was just playing my character who is a bit of a jerk; I hope there are no hard feelings?"

My character is A Highly Functioning Sociopath!

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-10-14/1343:25> »
OK ,Thanks for the Explanation
What You did is still....intense though (but we're playing Shadowrun and not .....my little Pony, so its more acceptable)
 So If I see this correctly it was from your char's point of view neccessary to act like You/your Char did.
You should explain this to the Player and make sure that there are no hard feelings.
It (may) destroy the Fun for everybody at the Table if there isa Grudge between a Player and a GM (or between two Players)

HokaHey
Medicineman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <02-10-14/1513:52> »
Sometimes people can take things that happen in-game personally.  Especially when it seems a little overboard.  First, assess yourself.  Are you sure that you weren't going overboard at this player's expense?  Second, put yourself in his/her shoes.  Do you think that this player would take things personally?  Third, make sure they didn't take things personally and just explain that you didn't mean to upset him/her.  Finally, resolve the issue that lead to this series of events.  Don't assess blame for what happened, just take responsibility for your decisions as a player (don't hide behind the "my character did this, not me!" argument).
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-10-14/2212:32> »
Sounds like there needed to be more communication before the game.  It seems like New Player, is new and you/your GM run a heavy mirror shades style game.  New player really needed to be prepared for that style. 

Also, it sounds like it was partially on accident, but the GM and you worked together pretty well to screw him over completely.  With a security guard just happening to show up at the worst possible time, resulting in additional bad things to the New Player.

Also, there is a line between I'm not a jerk my character is, and actually being a jerk simply for bringing that character to the game.  Anyone can make a character that in character intends to betray everyone and kill the team.  That player is still a jerk.  While that is not what happened here, are you really certain there was no other way?  You have him unconscious and subdued and hidden.  Call a doc contact and give him some quick plastic surgery, face problems solved.  Also, talk to the New Player out of character.  So he is unconscious and can't communicate, take a moment out of the game and speak to each other about how the situation arose, how you see it resolving, and provide a chance for the players to work something out.  Especially as it was already another team member and you deciding what to do about him.  Or just stash him somewhere and finish the run, and come back for him later.  Or even turn him in to LoneStar afterwards.  There are a lot of other ways to resolve the situation than what occurred.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-11-14/0657:42> »
Sounds to me like you could've avoided the whole "subduing/raping/kidnapping/torturing/killing/selling" thing if your character had had an ounce more of discretion (which he was oddly lacking in considering the whole reason for the "subduing/raping/kidnapping/torturing/killing/selling" was you were trying to be discrete) and smarts. A simple assassination or knocking him unconscious and leaving him on a bus headed out-of-state would've more than sufficed. Personally, I wouldn't blame him if he did hold a grudge for it.

Efe

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-11-14/0923:55> »
Talk to him beforehand. Try to get on the same line with him. With what you are telling here, I think you have been too harsh, but maybe you and the player can understand each other's actions.

I do think it is strange that you do not already know what the other player thinks. Was he angry? Sad? Did he think it was a cool way to end his character? When you are screwing someones' character over, are you not making sure if the player is oke with it?

When something seems necessary from your character's point of view, always remember that you made that character. If you let it do something that hurts other people's feelings, it is your responsibility. And if the options that makes the most sense in character hurts another player, it is your responsibility to either explain it so that the other player is oke with it or to find another option.

On a side note: seriously: rape? That is a whole different kind of violence on its own and if you want that at your table make sure the others are comfortable with that beforehand.