NEWS

Armor picks other than Mortimer or Sleeping Tiger

• 24 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #15 on: <12-28-16/1518:37> »
If that's so, you're really just talking about Armor Jackets and nothing else...  Which I would say is really too specific to talk about "design philosophy" as one point of data can't be a pattern...  It just seems kind of pointless to decide that this one piece of gear must draw attention.  But, fine.  I do apologize if my tone got aggressive.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-28-16/1533:49> »
No offence taken  ;D

The FBA is another point of data. But yes, that's why I said "seems to have been" and not "is". It's more a reading between the lines than anything else on my part.
Rigger 5, of all places, went into detail for drone armor, making everything above 6 restricted and above 12 forbidden. Now that doesn't mean it applies 1:1 for meta humans, but it shows where the limits of polite society are/where polite society begins to feel threatened. 
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <12-28-16/1639:33> »
I prefer the Executive Suite for my Technomancer, in several styles. SHe prefers style to straight out "Armored Up"
:)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <12-29-16/0034:08> »
I kind of miss the SR3 days and NSRCG where you could mix high fashion armours. Without apparently being socially screwed.

Now it seems the manufactureres have taken steps to make sure this doesn't go over well, because the different fashion armour houses make their products to clash aesthetically. Probably just my imagination . . .

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <12-30-16/2240:44> »
I kind of miss the SR3 days and NSRCG where you could mix high fashion armours. Without apparently being socially screwed.

Now it seems the manufactureres have taken steps to make sure this doesn't go over well, because the different fashion armour houses make their products to clash aesthetically. Probably just my imagination . . .

It makes me wonder how fierce the regular high fashion industry in SR is.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-31-16/0642:24> »

It makes me wonder how fierce the regular high fashion industry in SR is.

Fashion houses Zoe and Armante had a shadow war about clothing lines, with Armante backed by Aztechnology. Just imagine . . . .

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <01-15-17/1342:45> »
You, you are left to shoot at.
Hence why getting armor is a good idea  ;)

@Hobbes

I'm very partial to the Ares Wild Hunt. For 3000 you get Gear Access, holster and a Custom Protection 6 + 10 Capacity. Not to mention a bonus to survival.

My new favorite combo for business Armor is the

EXECUTIVE SUITE for only 2.000 (Armor 12) (+YNT + non-conductivity)
Combine it with the Second Skin for 12.000 (+2) (+Autoinjector)
and carry the new
ARES BRIEFCASE SHIELD for 1.800 (+4)
For a nice 18 armor (although you need STR 5 for full use, otherwise a simple ballistic mask might be a better investment.
Add a fashionable cloak for whatever protection you need (chemical, radiation, insulation)

stylish, and a good chance to only receive stun damage from any attack .
One nice thing is that, depending on security, you can hide some goodies in the briefcase and sneak them into a fancy party without looking suspicious. Armor 18 is good; Armor 18 with a submachine gun that no one expected you to have is better. But that's looking at it like a face, who needs to be well dressed at all times and probably wouldn't pick an assault rifle as his weapon of choice. A streetsam might be very interested in that package if the entire team has to infiltrate a fancy party and doesn't want to break the bank on socially acceptable gear, but not for his everyday gear.

Nah, for his everyday gear a streetsam will want to stick with his armor jacket and helmet/custom ballistic mask, maybe paying a bit for fire and electrical protection, until he gets enough money to buy a sufficiently pimped out set of SWAT armor.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <01-15-17/2024:13> »
The latter. FBAs with the helmet on are of course unconcealable.

If you want to cover those up, I suggest wearing a mascot suit. Doesn't work for every venue, but malls and sports themed environments are fine.

I've heard it said that people in mascot suits can get away with anything, so there may be some extra utility there. Though if someone in my game wanted to wear a mascot suit over FBA, I'd want to assign him an encumbrance penalty for that.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <01-17-17/1840:40> »
now why am i reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1SzURv0uM

not sure if my GM is gonna let me build this, but i sure as hell am gonna try now.
and if anybody asks, im working for Ares  ;D

adzling

« Reply #24 on: <01-27-17/1054:13> »
Here's a few armor loadouts i've built for my character and others in our campaign:

Deadpool like armor for when the going gets tough:
Full Body Armor: 15
Electricity: +6, Fire: +6
Modifications: Chemical Seal, Fire Resistance (6), Nonconductivity (6), Pulse Weave (1), Ultrasonic Noise Generator (1), YNT Softweave

Full Body Armor Helmet +3
Modifications: Sensor Array (8) [Camera, Directional Microphone, Laser Microphone, Olfactory Sensor (8), Ultrasound, Radio Signal Scanner, Motion Sensor, Omni-Directional Microphone]

Full-Suit Body Armor 8
Modifications: -6 modifier for concealability, Custom Fit, Thermal Dampening (5), YNT Softweave

Kata Slides +1
(reloading rail + hidden arm slide combo)

Ruthenium Polymer Cloak (4)

total armor: 19

everyday walk around armor1:
Sleeping Tiger 13
Electricity: +5, Fire: +3 Modifications: Biofiber Pocket, Concealed Pockets, Custom Fit, Electrochromic Modification, Faraday Pocket, Fire Resistance (3), Fresnel Fabric (7), Holster, Newest Model, Nonconductivity (5), Ruthenium Polymer Coating (3), Tag Eraser, YNT Softweave

Ballistic Mask (Customized) +2 (kept in a daybag)
Modifications: Gas Mask, Single Sensor (8) [Ultrasound], Single Sensor
(8) [Directional Microphone], Single Sensor (8) [Laser Microphone], Single Sensor (8) [Motion Sensor], Single Sensor (8) [Olfactory Sensor (14)], Vision Magnification, Electronic

Kata Slides +1
(reloading rail + hidden arm slide combo)

total armor: 16

every day armor 2:
Actioneer Business Clothes 8
Electricity: +5, Fire: +5 Modifications: Concealed Pockets, Faraday Pocket, Fire Resistance (5), Nonconductivity (5), YNT Softweave

Ballistic Mask (Customized) +2 (kept in briefcase)
Modifications: Gas Mask, Micro-Tranceiver, Single Sensor (8) [Ultrasound], Thermographic Vision, Trodes

Full-Suit Body Armor 8
Modifications: -6 modifier for concealability, Custom Fit, Thermal Dampening (3)

Ares Executive Variable Protector +4
(combination of Ares Briefcase shield and Ares Executive Protector)

Total armor: 14