NEWS

Creating and registering sprites during downtime

• 3 Replies

Arkejd

• Newb
« on: <03-17-21/1635:07> »
How to manage rolling for creating and registering sprites if you cant buy enough dices? (dice pools PC-11, Sprite lvl 5-10 , in example if your downtime is 3 weeks, you can roll basically twice(or more) a day to summon/register sprite and we dont want to roll 50 times just to summon one sprite)

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-17-21/1653:47> »
First, I would tell them no Edge use in downtime.

Then, use the Try Again rule.  Every time they want to retry a summon, -2 dice.

Set limits.  In one campaign I ran, I started making a downtime points system.  Everyone has X points to spend between now and the next run, and some actions cost points.  Learning spells, summoning things, working contacts, all that would cost points.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-18-21/0154:19> »
How to manage rolling for creating and registering sprites if you cant buy enough dices?
Core doesn't really discuss down time activities.

Having said that, Shadowrun Mission (organized play) do.
Their suggestion on the subject is the following;

I want to do X, which can be done in game or as a downtime action. Do I roll skill dice or buy hits?
Any tests done as part of a downtime activity, such as a Matrix Search to find gear or to Initiate, can only be done using the “buying hits” method (SR6 CRB, pg 36). Additionally, anything that is permanent or has no explicit “expiration date” (such as Quickened spells) must also use the “buying hits” method.

Can I spend Edge when using the “buying hits” method?
To prevent abuses of Edge, you may not spend Edge when “buying hits”.

If you choose to use the same rules then in your case that mean your technomancer simply need to pick a lower level sprite ;-)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-18-21/0924:46> »
How much or how little detail your table wants to go into for downtime is a group decision.  For some games my group has put together a Googlesheet and tracked it in 4 hour blocks.  Some games it's totally hand waived away.

On the detailed end of things, the GM will let you know how many hours a day are available for the PCs to do stuff, and you track it.  Roll dice at the start of the session for whatever checks are necessary, record results.  If you want to make 50 attempts at registering Sprites go nuts, I'd suggest a dice rolling App if you're doing some kind of crazy mass production.

On the less detailed end of things, just roll for what matters.  Your Technomancer wants to buy a thing, fix another thing, and Register a couple Sprites.  Okay, you bought a thing, you fixed a thing, then make the compile/register checks for your Sprites you want for this session and don't worry about the Sprite you compiled last Tuesday.

Some GMs will want to see the dice rolls, some won't.  If you're doing an online game a Player can just use the dice roller from whatever app you're using if the GM wants to see the results. 

Personally I prefer to buy hits for downtime stuff because then the Player can just take care of it and not use table time.  5th Edition I would not let Edge get spent on downtime activities, 6th Edition I'd let a PC spend any freebie Edge they get for that activity. 

If you're not buying hits and you're doing a ton of rolls just have the GM make 10 rolls of X dice pool write those down, then do your bit.  Repeat as necessary.  Having played a TM in 5th edition, I've done exactly that.  "I'm going to be registering as many Level 7 Sprites as I can, give me 10 rolls of 14 dice please."  And then I'd go see if my TM's head asploded or not.  If I had more downtime and slots open for more Sprites, I'd get another 10 rolls.  Do the math for the GMs dice pool and just ask for the number of hits, write them down as the GM rolls them, don't resolve each one as you go.