NEWS

6th Edition in 2019?

• 174 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #150 on: <05-01-19/1230:08> »
Torches and pitchforks for sale, people! Just 49 nuyen each, and 99 for a combo!
Nice try, but I've already know the prices of torches and pitchforks from No Future!
These are special Anniversary ones. They burn pink.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Beerhamut

• Newb
  • Beer and Dragons. What else do you need?
« Reply #151 on: <05-01-19/1255:49> »
I'm excited for these changes. Immersion is my #1 priority so cutting out all these roll delays is going to give my players more of a chance to actually experience what I'm trying to show them. Ya know? Instead me fudging rules to keep things running smoothly, or players dozing off on the couch waiting for their Adept-AR-Decker to get into a rating 8 security host, trying over and over and over and over while my eyes roll so hard, Earth's axis shifts.
Sent from my iPhone

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #152 on: <05-01-19/1257:33> »
...or players dozing off on the couch waiting for their Adept-AR-Decker to get into a rating 8 security host...

Yeah, I'm excited at the promise/possibility that magic won't be the best way to do everything anymore.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Cubby

• Deniable Asset
  • Newb
  • Communications
« Reply #153 on: <05-01-19/1302:22> »
Please check out the official announcement here:

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=29147.0

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #154 on: <05-01-19/1321:21> »
Rumors are circulating that 6th edition is in development.
They are wrong.
*whistles innocently*
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #155 on: <05-01-19/1442:45> »
They are wrong.
*whistles innocently*
Lol!!
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #156 on: <05-01-19/1457:13> »
They are wrong.
*whistles innocently*

You know, I ran across that post earlier but decided to let it slide :P I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to mention it though.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #157 on: <05-01-19/2105:56> »
Looks like Pegasus is right up to speed:

Love the cover and the art...hoping it’s the same from CGL

AnotherUser

• Newb
« Reply #158 on: <05-01-19/2153:55> »
Why podcasts? I haven´t had the time to sit down for more than an hour to browse through the chit chat to get some answers.

Abolishment of all situation-modifiers? Is that right?
But you´re still doing them somehow via edge. What´s the point then?

I understand it replenishes at the start of a `scene`. And getting an advantage over your opponent nets you more edge, as the scene progresses.

The nebulous term `scene` is rather off-putting, to start with. But this sounds like you are exchanging one set of tables you have to check all the time (situation modifiers and compensation) with another set of tables. (this is `an advantage` in game terms and nets +X edge)

I don´t see how that is supposed to speed up gameplay. Or are they suggesting to just argue at the table over what constitutes `an advantage`? That would be even worse.
« Last Edit: <05-01-19/2159:26> by AnotherUser »

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #159 on: <05-01-19/2159:56> »
That one is less 'speed up play' and more 'less to track' as I understood it.  So on each action you don't go have to remember the modifiers for dim light, friends in melee, and charging.  You just take advantage of that to add to your edge once in the scene (or your opponent does) and then it is accounted for, and you don't look at it again.  Whether it improves things, we'll all have to wait to try it and see I guess.

AnotherUser

• Newb
« Reply #160 on: <05-01-19/2206:10> »
So, you take `advantage` of having a friend in melee and then use the edge it netted you to shoot at someone completely different 12 seconds later in a situation that has nothing to do with it?

Is that the idea?

I don´t even know what to say.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #161 on: <05-01-19/2230:56> »
So, you take `advantage` of having a friend in melee and then use the edge it netted you to shoot at someone completely different 12 seconds later in a situation that has nothing to do with it?

Is that the idea?

I don´t even know what to say.

We don't know exactly how it'll work yet, but yes that sounds like the general idea as far as I know.  And contrary to what you're implying, it sounds like it makes perfect sense to me.  Me and my friend two on one opponent, then the remaining opponent is at a decided disadvantage to the pair of us.  Even if we haven't killed the flanked opponent yet, if we've put him on his heels we have the tactical initiative over both him and his buddy.  Isolating and surrounding one opponent would be represented in 5E by memorizing, looking up, or simply inventing some dice pool modifier.  The new edition looks like such things will be represented by getting Edge, which can be used to your own advantage in various ways.

In theory it could work.  I'm going to give it a look before judging whether it actually does work or not.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #162 on: <05-02-19/1414:43> »
Looks like the first piece of fiction is out:

The Frame Job, Part 1

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #163 on: <05-02-19/1858:14> »
Having read through the podcast summary I am not sure I like the new Edge and that you can earn it by being a better shot than the enemy (or even because you are sitting in very good cover, earning edge when someone shoots you) and then being able to spend it on something completely different like healing damage.....
Edge seems too much of a magical "do it all" currency to me. And I am not even sure it will reduce tracking at all. Considering how important it is and that it can be gained in combat the GM now has to track a ever shifting edge number for all NPCs.
It can also create some weird situations were a character is better of not doing anything than try something desperate, like the Face shooting with his light pistol at an enemy, as that will give the enemy Edge while if the Face did nothing the enemy would not get more powerful. Not really immersive in my eyes. And I really hope people cant just Edge through everything.

Also, all gear available at character creation? Where is the sense of progression when you can have everything right from the start?
« Last Edit: <05-03-19/0604:31> by Ixal »

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #164 on: <05-05-19/1245:59> »
Having read through the podcast summary I am not sure I like the new Edge and that you can earn it by being a better shot than the enemy (or even because you are sitting in very good cover, earning edge when someone shoots you) and then being able to spend it on something completely different like healing damage.....
Edge seems too much of a magical "do it all" currency to me. And I am not even sure it will reduce tracking at all. Considering how important it is and that it can be gained in combat the GM now has to track a ever shifting edge number for all NPCs.
It can also create some weird situations were a character is better of not doing anything than try something desperate, like the Face shooting with his light pistol at an enemy, as that will give the enemy Edge while if the Face did nothing the enemy would not get more powerful. Not really immersive in my eyes. And I really hope people cant just Edge through everything.

Also, all gear available at character creation? Where is the sense of progression when you can have everything right from the start?

Yeah, I have the same questions about it. I didn't decide that I like it or not, so far and I won't until I've seen it in its entirety, but I'm a bit wary because of the same reasons.

Also, I'm not sure I understand how this whole "no modifiers, but gaining edge" thing will play out at the end? Like, okay, I'm in cover, the enemy shoots at me, I'm gaining edge. Does that mean that basicaly the difficulty of tasks never changes, regardless of circumstances (ie. it's equally hard to shoot at someone in the open as behind a cover), you will just get a currency for later use, if you have an advantage? That's... I think I wouldn't like that. Yeh, not immersive and too meta for me.

Now, if the edge gained from the advantage is usable right there at the moment ( I could spend the edge gained for cover instantly for a better defense roll, or whatnot), that's different, that could work out just fine.

Also, I'd agree, it doesn't really seem to be less work to use than modifiers, just different and maybe more "interesting" and "fun", because you'll get a currency you could spend on stunts and stuff, not just plain modifiers. I can see that, but I don't think it's easier to use, overall.

To be honest, I think it's a question with no answer, or, rather, a Quest for the Holy Grail for developers: "How to represent situational stuff in a game, without too much math and floating modifiers?" Some games, like D&D 5e went simplistic, which is fine, but not everyne likes that level of simplification. Others went like storygames, where it's about "narrative complications" and stuff which is also fine, but a totally different approach to gaming. Others made everything into conditions and such, which aren't really simpler, but you can give them out in neat cards, so, perhaps more concise. This new edge system is another attempt at replacing floating modifiers with somethig easier to use and more "fun" and it might work, but I'm not sure about it at this point.
« Last Edit: <05-05-19/1252:27> by PMárk »
If nothing worked, let's think!